Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would it take you?

rowdyb

What would it take you to reach your dream goal in shooting sports? And, yes I am asking seriously.

Do you need more confidence? Time? Ammo? Instruction? Hand eye coordination? Belief you could reach your goal? Money? A supportive spouse?

I more or less have all of the options you listed covered. For me it's desire. For me to say, "my goal is to make GM" is the same as me wondering, "what I would do if I won the lottery", when I never buy a ticket. So maybe my dream goal has been achieved? I like to have fun , have good gear and guns, and perform reasonably well when it counts.

Another year or two. I nearly reached my goal of Master in Limited a couple of years ago and then had "life" happen. That life is now 16 months old and I'm hoping to have time for some dry fire, live fire and a match or two per month in my near future......If I can manage that, I will get that 7% back soon enough!

I have achieved my goal. I can, I now have the ability, with the simple inputs of time, effort, and money, to win matches, championships, titles.

Every shooting accolade Ive ever dreamed of, or wanted, is now well within my grasp.

I now shoot a little less frequently after I figured that out. -I mean, achieved that goal.

A cure for arthritis would definitely do it for me. I was doing well at a match last year and as it progressed I was constantly icing my hands. LOL

I think desire has the most to do with how far you go, at least from what I've observed.

Time. Although I put in a lot of time.

Youth. I'm not old, but old enough for eyes and speed to have dialed back a notch.

A decision NOT to do the entrepreneur thing on my dime - that will suck up most of my time and $.

Edited by Beastly

I would say money and time because that is what constrains my shooting today. If I had unlimited funds and time the reality is that I have some physical issues (back and knee) that constrain me as well.

a time machine so that i could have picked up a pistol 30 years ago for the first time instead of 3 years ago ... i believe i'm doing everything else i need to to achieve my ultimate shooting goal given when i started ...

I'd like my own bay within 30 minute drive of my house. Having my own live fire practice facility. Every other competitive endeavor gets to do reps and training on or in a practice venue very similar to their game day/match environment. I want the same thing.

What would it take you to reach your dream goal in shooting sports? And, yes I am asking seriously.

Do you need more confidence? Time? Ammo? Instruction? Hand eye coordination? Belief you could reach your goal? Money? A supportive spouse?

Yes :)

I'd like my own bay within 30 minute drive of my house. Having my own live fire practice facility. Every other competitive endeavor gets to do reps and training on or in a practice venue very similar to their game day/match environment. I want the same thing.

Hmm, I must be living right.

I've got all that and it's only 22 minutes away at my outdoor range.

Life is good.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

I've got a 50yd deep range bay in my back yard, I can step back to 210 yards if I want, easy going neighbors, 12 10" hanging plates, a plate rack, a couple clay throwers activated by hitting other targets, a 1/3 ipsc target bolted to a trolley that rides down an angled cable after being activated by another target, 4 semi portable barriers with port holes at different heights and all the paper plates I can steal from the kitchen to staple to sticks and arrange as desired. I would say I'm set as far as practice venues go and I can shoot whenever I want, even well after dark if I feel like it. Now I just need a LOT more ammo (or just the necessary money to buy it). If I had that I like to think there would be nothing stopping me from reaching my goals.

A range closer to home would do a lot for me. I have an hour drive one way right now. I'd love to be able to put rounds downrange every night. Dryfire does wonders, but there is only so much room in the garage. If I could get live rounds down range, with actual stages and drills, more than once a week, I think I would see big improvements quickly.

The wife and I have talked extensively that our next move, when we outgrow our current house, MUST be closer to a range. No exceptions. Luckily she agrees 1,000 %. :)

I don't have any excuses. I make enough time to dry-fire every day, I have a live-fire range 15 mins away, I can easily afford to shoot 1500 or so rounds every month. I just need to keep doing it and stay focused.

I'm not getting better as fast as some folks, but I'm definitely getting better every month, and that's really my only goal, to keep getting better.

I think blaming lack of progress on not having enough ammo is pretty weak. It seems like most national class shooters don't shoot all that much more than me, and I could actually afford to shoot twice as much as I do, but I don't get as much out of live-fire practice if I don't do my homework in dry-fire first.

Basically, all of the above. If I had a live fire facilty within a five min walk of home, then when I had 30-60 free time I could go practice and test loads. Then I would need more money for more bullets, powder, and primers. Then i would be motivated to exercies and physically train for the sport. Haveing not come into action pistol shooting until nearly 50 years old M/GM level would a hard row to hoe but might be possible. Given realities of my life I'll be happy to be an A shooter.

Haveing not come into action pistol shooting until nearly 50 years old M/GM level would a hard row to hoe but might be possible. Given realities of my life I'll be happy to be an A shooter.

I started after 50. When I first started, M seemed impossible, but just taking one step at a time and trying to get better is making it a pretty feasible goal now. Of course I'm not trying to shoot 7 different divisions in 2 different sports.

Haveing not come into action pistol shooting until nearly 50 years old M/GM level would a hard row to hoe but might be possible. Given realities of my life I'll be happy to be an A shooter.

I started after 50. When I first started, M seemed impossible, but just taking one step at a time and trying to get better is making it a pretty feasible goal now. Of course I'm not trying to shoot 7 different divisions in 2 different sports.

I agree its possible and if I reprioritized things in my life it could / would happen, even without my own facility. However, in addition to USPSA I like to MD the local IDPA match - several good firends there plus I enjoy 3-gun a bunch so I try and play that game every month as well. I'm sure if I dropped IDPA and 3-gun and spent that time / engery on USPSA I would advance faster, possibly acheive M level but I don't think I'd have as much fun so I don't. ;-)

Here is a little different perspective. I made GM Limited with (6) %100 classifiers in 1997/98 and was in heaven!

Sadly I could not keep up that level of practice (time) so my skills diminished to that of master. My own pride

had me make a formal request of USPSA to officially demote me to Master so as to NOT be a Paper Tiger.

TIME is what i wish I had and as I approach 55 years on this planet. I know that IF I quit 3-Gun and put that time into

pistol only I could get that GM card back! However unless I could swallow that pride, I know I couldn't maintain that

level of prowess without Dedication.

So as other have said...Time and Dedication is the key.