Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Pistols for Grand kids for Christmas

Wrinkles

I am getting ready to buy some 22 pistols for my grand children for Christmas.

I want the following 1. will shoot 95% of the time with about any ammo . 2 has a safety. 3. a good trigger ,not something like a Glock. 4. adjustable rear sight . 5. can get extra magazines.

Our club will let youth shoot I D P A matches with a 22. I want to get them starts right.

I have had all of the above and my opinion is the Colt Gold Cup 1911.22 if you want something in that type of platform.

The ruger 22/45 line are great shooters but not as fun imo.

I also just purchased the new Walther PPQ M2 .22 and love it as much as the colt but it does not pass your external safety requirement.

I really like my S&W 41. It will still be running when your Grandkids have kids. They won't out grow it.

Magazines are decently priced, easy to load, the action is easy to take down and clean, Its easy to chamber check or clear a jam. Good triggers out of the box.

At the price of 22LR ammo the cost of a expensive pistol is not the issue.

Good ones can be found used. Mine is a 1993 vintage I bought used.

Both my kids have SR22s which have been 100% reliable. I have a MKII that certainly out shoots them. I have heard good reports on the MP22s as well. If price were not a factor then a 41 would certainly take top honors.

Lots of good suggestions here. M&P, (my shooting bud has one and it runs great) Ruger 22/45 (I have lots of time behind

Ruger Mk2's and love them), Browning Buckmark (ran one in Bullseye competion for awhile, they worked and they can be tweaked

to near perfection)

I have owned 3 Smith 41's and while I loved the feel, looks and trigger, Ruger MK2's kicked their butts for

accuracy and reliability. The M41 would not run with a wide variety of ammo, the Ruger....would.

AND you can kit out TWO 22/45 with optic sights magazine and ammo for the price of ONE M41.

Hello: We have a model 41 and Buckmarks. We tried the Ruger route but my sons liked the Buckmarks the best. They run and give less recoil than the Rugers. You can can lots of parts from Tactical Solutions and others. Mags are about $20. The Model 41 is a great gun but heavier and does not like certain ammo. The Buckmarks will run Federal bulk box and Remington also. Get the Buckmark and don't look back. Thanks, Eric

The S&W 41 is just to much. How about a Sig. All the ideas were great now I have to make up my mind which one. I have 4 to get.

My boss has the Sig Mosquito, it will absolutely not function without high quality, hotter ammo. I think Sig recommends CCI mini mags. If you tell them it won't run with any other ammo they'll tell you not to try running their precision made Ferrari equivalent of a gun on two year old low octane gas you siphoned out of your lawn mower. So.... I would stay away from the Mosquito.

My M&P bar run 12k rounds of anything I put in it. Occasional light hit or bad primer, ( I don't really know, I don't strike the again) maybe 2 out of a 550 bulk pack. I got curious how long it would run without cleaning and it was still going strong after 7 fed 550 bulk packs before I basically stopped shooting due to ammo availability. I did regularly lube it but was shocked it hadn't started having issues.

It doesn't have an adjustable sight but I think it's the same cut as the full size line giving you options. The trigger is similar to my 9c just a little lighter.

We have a youth in the area that shoots one in matches and it looks like any other production gun which they may begin to appreciate more than using a "buckmark" looking gun.. They may start wanting to have a gun like everyone else sooner than later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSG 1911 22.

Meets all of your criteria, can be customized and has aftermarket support, shares 85% of parts with a true 1911, fits standard 1911 holsters and mag pouches, and runs well on bulk pack ammo as well as premium.

Also, Dawson makes a FO front sight for it as well, rear sight is standard Novak cut, so plenty of options.

I have a Buckmark I won at a match in Reno about 20 years ago. They gave stacks of them away at "Western States":)

Anyhow it is a great 22 pistol and has held up really well. I have loaned it out for several people to learn and shoot a pistol. It still functions well and shoots straight. I did have to detail strip it and clean it once:)

I am getting ready to buy some 22 pistols for my grand children for Christmas.

I want the following 1. will shoot 95% of the time with about any ammo . 2 has a safety. 3. a good trigger ,not something like a Glock. 4. adjustable rear sight . 5. can get extra magazines.

Our club will let youth shoot I D P A matches with a 22. I want to get them starts right.

:closedeyes: I need to get a gun that doesn't require ammo to fire. :D

I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite and I love it.

Edited by Jaycwebb

I will echo the positive experiences with my M&P 22. I use it regularly at Steel Challenge matches and have had very good reliability. Occasionally a weak bulk pack round will cause an issue but that isn't the gun's fault. Any quality round (consistent) should yield good reliability in this pistol. It may not be quite as accurate as my 1911 conversion, but it will certainly get the job done.