Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you could pick any place in the US to live...

airforceblue7032

I'm not sure where to post this question, but I wanted to get your thoughts on something regarding IDPA.

I'm in the Air Force in will retire in the near future and I know shooting IDPA, Steel Matches and other types of pistol competition is something I want to be heavily involved in after I retire. Currently I'm shooting maybe twice a month due to other commitments.

So, my question is: If you could move anywhere in the US where would you go that allowed the greatest opportunity to become a competition shooting junkie?

I know this is a off the wall question and maybe I won't be able to get a good answer because there isn't. Best case would be to live near a top notch shooting range and be even closer to where the better state matches are hosted. What would you suggest? I'm sure state gun laws would play a factor as well.

Sorry for such an off the wall question. Maybe someone else here wondered the same thing. Thanks in advance for your comments.

I currently live in Eastern PA, and can easily get to an IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, or steel match in less than one hour. PA is a "shall issue" state, however I worry about the encroachment of ridiculous gun laws from New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. The state is quite rural with the exception of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and more recently the Allentown area. The problem here is the democrat leanings of those 3 metropolitan areas, since they carry a bigger electorate. A big factor for me, as I approach retirement age, is the cold winters, and the accompanying snows. I recommend going south for the warm weather. Florida is quite appealing, although depending on the tax ramifications, the Carolina's are worth a look.

Edited by cuzinvinny

Thanks for all the comments. I would have to mention that I'm not a fan of living somewhere during the summer's where I melt every time I walk outside. So I'm not sure if Arizona is my bag. :) However, living too far north and freezing my butt off doesn't sound to good either.

Maybe southern Colorado? Utah?

Colorado seems like a bad fit for a shooter. They ran Magpul off already and I expect it'll get worse for gun owners there before it gets better.

Edited by fmj3

SW Ohio. USPSA every weekend. IDPA at least a few times a month. AND WPAFB! I'm retired Army and live north of Cincinnati. I am around 35 minutes from the base and three of the 4 USPSA matches.

If climate is a big concern, you will need a winter home and a summer home. Or a motor home and become a snowbird.

I don't think I have been anywhere that was comfortable year 'round.

Except Hawaii and that is certainly not a shooter friendly environment.

NE Georgia around Winder, Monroe area. I live in Winder, Ga, and have 4 outdoor gun clubs with in 30-45min from home that shoot monthly IDPA, USPSA, and 3-Gun matches. I also have 5 indoor ranges that hold weekly indoor IDPA matches M-F within 20min-1hr. That not counting the other indoor matches, and outdoor matches on the west side of Ga. Also from Winder, Ga I can shoot IDPA at Skip J in South Carolina with a short 1.50hr drive.

South River Gun Club has the largest monthly outdoor IDPA matches drawing 70-100 shooters. SRGC is also a top notch facility! I am really lucky to have a chance to shoot IDPA or USPSA almost nightly if I choose.

SW Ohio. USPSA every weekend. IDPA at least a few times a month. AND WPAFB! I'm retired Army and live north of Cincinnati. I am around 35 minutes from the base and three of the 4 USPSA matches.

True that, but our winters do suck.

Another vote for the Phoenix area. An insane number of matches and weather that allows you to pretty much shoot 12 months a year. Fair warning though.... there are a metric ton of amazingly good shooters here. Multiple national champions and a bunch of other premier level competitors.

Do what I should have done when I PCS'd to Fla after Germany; buy/live in an RV.

Move to where you want/when you want, forces you to live clutter free, you can travel and experience matches all across the country while seeing first hand what we spent careers defending, and you get as much time as you want to find the "perfect" place to live.

BTW, there are LOADS of RV parks (and other places) you can stay at for free in exchange for working 20 hrs a week. Thousands of people do that for 6 months up north then 6 months down south. Some jobs also offer pay as well as a free site.

NE Georgia around Winder, Monroe area. I live in Winder, Ga, and have 4 outdoor gun clubs with in 30-45min from home that shoot monthly IDPA, USPSA, and 3-Gun matches. I also have 5 indoor ranges that hold weekly indoor IDPA matches M-F within 20min-1hr. That not counting the other indoor matches, and outdoor matches on the west side of Ga. Also from Winder, Ga I can shoot IDPA at Skip J in South Carolina with a short 1.50hr drive.

South River Gun Club has the largest monthly outdoor IDPA matches drawing 70-100 shooters. SRGC is also a top notch facility! I am really lucky to have a chance to shoot IDPA or USPSA almost nightly if I choose.

I would tend to agree with your statement. I lived in ATL for 20 yrs. Belonged to GADPA,River Bend and South River. I most likely shot with you. The MAJOR downside to ATL is the traffic. Bad beyond belief. That's why we moved to Birmingham. Brock's Gap rivals South River. Birmingham has one of the best VA hospitals in the nation. BTDT many times. Winder is OK location wise. Buckhead sucked. Glad to get away from that rat race. We actually live in Hoover.

Thanks for all the comments. I would have to mention that I'm not a fan of living somewhere during the summer's where I melt every time I walk outside. So I'm not sure if Arizona is my bag. :) However, living too far north and freezing my butt off doesn't sound to good either.

Maybe southern Colorado? Utah?

There are places in AZ where it's not as hot. Could look at living up in the mountains...