Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accountant resigns over $144,000 in missing receipts

Lee G

As I understand it, one of the perks of declaring say the Holiday Inn at ______ as the match hotel and having a special code like " USPSANATS" used by the regular match attendees when they book their hotel room is that the Holiday Inn will turn around and comp some rooms back to USPSA that USPSA turns around and gives out to the match staff personnel.

So not all the rooms for match staff are bought and paid for by USPSA HQ. Or whatever host organization...Underwater Basket Weavers of America... National Tiddly Winks Association....

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why USPSA would allow any credit card with a limit above 3k is beyond me. If they are legal payments-USPSA membership probably paid 3% for each transaction costing approximately $2200 in fees.

Huh? The vendor pays the credit card fees, not the purchaser.

Nothing wrong with a high limit on a credit card, as long as it's properly managed. The staff hotel bill for a national match could easily reach many many thousands of dollars. Why shouldn't USPSA get rewards points that they can then use to offset the cost of staff business travel or other free benefits?

you really think the vendor does not build the cost of CC into the bill?

you think USPSA is tracking reward points when they have no receipts for $144K.

Until the expenses are verified, it is a problem.

My employees have company CCs. If they don't have a receipt and what they bought accounted for, it comes out of their paycheck. It is clearly spelled out in our employee manual, which they sign.

I make a mistake here and there and buy a tank of gas, or an Amazon purchase with the wrong CC. I get asked by my assistant to provide the receipt and what I bought, or it goes against my expense check, and I own the company!

Nowhere in that letter of few facts did it say they have no receipts for $144K. Matter of fact, it is obvious that is not the case. People did read the few notes in the letter, right?

And if the CC cost is in the bill, that changes nothing, because it isn't as if they'd give a discount for writing a check.

This doesn't change the fact that an explanation of charges shouldn't be required. However, making up random nonsense and using it in accusations (which a number of people are doing in this thread) really doesn't help, because it doesn't locate and solve the actual problem.

Gun Nuts Media posted the resignation letter on their website with the spreadsheet of the "suspected" transactions. 2 transactions alone accounted for nearly half of the funds. ~$34K and ~$37K, I know my company would allow an expense report to pass through like that without receipts.

Quite possibly related to nationals no? Those aren't single transactions, they're payments to the CC companies.

Seems it would be easy to have a receipt then!

Nowhere in that letter of few facts did it say they have no receipts for $144K.

I would assume that if they put those amounts into the suspense account it was because they didn't know what the charges were for. In other words, if there is a $30,000 credit card bill and you were missing a receipt for $100 you would only put the $100 amount in the suspense account, not the whole thing.

Gun Nuts Media posted the resignation letter on their website with the spreadsheet of the "suspected" transactions. 2 transactions alone accounted for nearly half of the funds. ~$34K and ~$37K, I know my company would allow an expense report to pass through like that without receipts.

Quite possibly related to nationals no? Those aren't single transactions, they're payments to the CC companies.
Seems it would be easy to have a receipt then!

The transactions (payment of the CC balance) are put into suspense until receipts supporting the CC charges (that ran up the balance). So a $37,000 transaction on the suspense account could be 1 or 100 individual charges.

Nowhere in that letter of few facts did it say they have no receipts for $144K.

I would assume that if they put those amounts into the suspense account it was because they didn't know what the charges were for. In other words, if there is a $30,000 credit card bill and you were missing a receipt for $100 you would only put the $100 amount in the suspense account, not the whole thing.

Correct. Only unaccounted for charges would be suspended.

Nowhere in that letter of few facts did it say they have no receipts for $144K. Matter of fact, it is obvious that is not the case. People did read the few notes in the letter, right?

And if the CC cost is in the bill, that changes nothing, because it isn't as if they'd give a discount for writing a check.

This doesn't change the fact that an explanation of charges shouldn't be required. However, making up random nonsense and using it in accusations (which a number of people are doing in this thread) really doesn't help, because it doesn't locate and solve the actual problem.

Uh, did you read it? The second paragraph calls them "missing receipts." How is it obvious that there are receipts if they are referred to as "missing?" Or are you saying, it's like I don't have a child, so no one would ever say I have a missing child. Is that what you mean?

I'm just sick and tired of the whole organization. Doesn't seem like any of the executives have any respect for the members. It's been one problem after another lately and they still haven't learned how to actively take responsibility. There's simply too much at stake to allow these shenanigans to continue and to not have any culpability for those involved.

I'm just sick and tired of the whole organization. Doesn't seem like any of the executives have any respect for the members. It's been one problem after another lately and they still haven't learned how to actively take responsibility. There's simply too much at stake to allow these shenanigans to continue and to not have any culpability for those involved.

I feel the same way and I seriously doubt I will renew my membership in January when it comes due.

I've heard through the grapevine that most of these charges are legit. The reason the receipts have not been provided is because the ED had to take a leave of absence this summer. Too much stress.

Wow! An executive taking a leave of absence over too much stress. "waaaa... I am too stressed..."

The leadership of this organization is a joke! I have zero confidence in them.

I've heard through the grapevine that most of these charges are legit. The reason the receipts have not been provided is because the ED had to take a leave of absence this summer. Too much stress.

Wow! An executive taking a leave of absence over too much stress. "waaaa... I am too stressed..."

The leadership of this organization is a joke! I have zero confidence in them.

No, it could be worse... Joyce Wilson could be in charge. :)

I am glad to see the BOD coming out with a response so quick. If this is just a routine "reconcilation", then why would a 21 year USPSA bookkeeper (or whatever position she held) resign and in the letter of resignation refer to the $144K.

Now the Face Book posting is not available ? (The letter is still available on the phobucket link)

Edited by lcs

I am glad to see the BOD coming out with a response so quick. If this is just a routine "reconcilation", then why would a 21 year USPSA bookkeeper (or whatever position she held) resign and in the letter of resignation refer to the $144K.

Now the Face Book posting is not available ?

Why does it take over a year ro reconcile the books? According to Barbara's letter she first noticed unreconciled expenses last year. The bookkeeper comes in monthly and finds new expenses each time she comes in. That means this has been ongoing. Too add to it Barbara claims to have documentation concerning the missing receipts and her attemts to reconcile the situation.

The USPSA letter spins it to seem like they had a few expenses recently and it's no big deal. Then the wording says it's just a routine administrative task and us lowly members have now given the oranization a black eye. I like how each scandal the response letter spins it to make it seem like the membership is the problem.

The "truth" is not yet out, just the BODs expectations. The "truth" would be what actually happened and how did $144K end up begin charged without begin reconciled in a timely manner. It could still go either way.

Now the Face Book posting is not available ? (The letter is still available on the phobucket link)

My thoughts exactly. I am not saying there is outright wrongdoing taking place yet but the letter seems to try to minimize what is going on. Especially when somebody resigned because of trying to fix it to no avail.

My thoughts exactly. I am not saying there is outright wrongdoing taking place yet but the letter seems to try to minimize what is going on. Especially when somebody resigned because of trying to fix it to no avail.

Don't forget, 2 BOD members also resigned in large part due to issues with the ED as well, so we are up to 3 people now.