Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accountant resigns over $144,000 in missing receipts

Lee G

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it means anything, but I have noticed (as have other folks in the LE world) that the majority of low-level embezzlement cases (credit-card and expense fraud) are middle-aged women. We had one hit our motorcycle club, and I've been involved in a couple internal investigations at work with them as well.

Regarding the first post..... I send my money to uspsa so I can compete in fun and challenging pistol matches. I am getting my money's worth and then some. These kind of allegations are not a good thing, but I believe the vast majority of honest and good people in the organization will get to the bottom of it, and I will continue to compete in fun and challenging matches.

p.s. I pay my taxes too, instead of renouncing my citizenship and moving somewhere else even tho I'm dissatisfied with many aspects of the US government.

Edited by motosapiens

It's not the accountant who resigned -- it's an internal USPSA employee who's apparently charged with coordinating the books of the org with the bookkeeper and accountant......

That letter is interesting -- but it's an allegation. Were I on the Board I'd be requesting an audit of all corporate credit cards going back a couple of years.....

This isn't the first time poor accounting has caused problems for USPSA. Remember a couple years back USPSA had to tighten their belts, fire contractors (Scott Moore i- SSC coordinator, Paul Eirhart PR) and scale back the benefits for office staff?

Gun Nuts Media posted the resignation letter on their website with the spreadsheet of the "suspected" transactions. 2 transactions alone accounted for nearly half of the funds. ~$34K and ~$37K, I know my company would allow an expense report to pass through like that without receipts.

Edited by Butterpuc

Gun Nuts Media posted the resignation letter on their website with the spreadsheet of the "suspected" transactions. 2 transactions alone accounted for nearly half of the funds. ~$34K and ~$37K, I know my company would allow an expense report to pass through like that without receipts.

Quite possibly related to nationals no? Those aren't single transactions, they're payments to the CC companies.

Why USPSA would allow any credit card with a limit above 3k is beyond me. If they are legal payments-USPSA membership probably paid 3% for each transaction costing approximately $2200 in fees.

Assuming they are legal expenses--a USPSA check should have been issued and the check should require two company officials to sign.

That letter is interesting -- but it's an allegation. Were I on the Board I'd be requesting an audit of all corporate credit cards going back a couple of years.....

You wouldn't be on the board for long after that.

The BOD is made up of the area directors, and the president. All are elected by the members. Not sure how they would justify removing a board member for looking out for the finances for the organization. I can CERTAINLY see removing someone from the board for FAILURE to discharge the duties of a fiduciary!

Why USPSA would allow any credit card with a limit above 3k is beyond me. If they are legal payments-USPSA membership probably paid 3% for each transaction costing approximately $2200 in fees.

Huh? The vendor pays the credit card fees, not the purchaser.

Nothing wrong with a high limit on a credit card, as long as it's properly managed. The staff hotel bill for a national match could easily reach many many thousands of dollars. Why shouldn't USPSA get rewards points that they can then use to offset the cost of staff business travel or other free benefits?

Huh? The vendor pays the credit card fees, not the purchaser.

Nothing wrong with a high limit on a credit card, as long as it's properly managed. The staff hotel bill for a national match could easily reach many many thousands of dollars. Why shouldn't USPSA get rewards points that they can then use to offset the cost of staff business travel or other free benefits?

agreed. And lots of business is transacted over the phone or electronically. It's just how most business are set up to operate now.

However, I think everyone who has any kind of job that has purchasing authority should be able to agree that cc statements should be audited as a matter of routine, and receipts/justification provided for EVERY purchase.