Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WORLD RECORD 1000 yard balloon shot by Jerry Miculek

kneelingatlas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80 yard hold over? :surprise:

in the video he claimed a 50 yd hold over. That had to be difficult to maintain that kind of hold over.

When he hopped in the Ranger to head down range he said "75-80 yards", but I later on in the workshop he said 150 feet. So not sure which it really was.

Either way..... :surprise:

Edited by CZinSC

Next time one of you sees him in person, sneak up on him and cut his forearm with your pocket knife. I'll bet you that you'll find the terminator arm assembly under a layer of artificial skin because this just confirms he isn't really human. I think he's bidding his time to go all skynet on us.

Yeah, but it took 2 shots. :devil:

Looks like it took about 3 seconds for the bullet to hit the plate - c 1,000 fps?

Absolutely incredible - what a guy - and I shook his hand at the Nat'ls few years ago :bow:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

"Just a matter of figuring out where the beaten zone is" means that shot was practiced probably quite a bit before it was filmed. I don't care who you are you can not just pull out a pistol and KNOW what the holdover is for 1000 yards on a given day. By the same token, I don't care who you are, if you practice that shot enough you could probably hit it on demand when a camera is running.

Sorry to all the JM lovers. He is quite a shooter for sure! :cheers:

Next time one of you sees him in person, sneak up on him and cut his forearm with your pocket knife. I'll bet you that you'll find the terminator arm assembly under a layer of artificial skin because this just confirms he isn't really human. I think he's bidding his time to go all skynet on us.

im pretty sure i was told that very early in his career he had to have surgery on a tendon in his forearm. people apparently people joke that they shortened it so he could pull the trigger faster.

I threw the numbers in the JBL ballistics and with the hornady 147 gr xtp at 975 fps factory load with a 15 yard zero, 1" high sight offset. it has 2988.3 inches of drop (83.00 yards) with 516 FPS, travel time is 4.411 seconds at 1000 yards.

"Just a matter of figuring out where the beaten zone is" means that shot was practiced probably quite a bit before it was filmed. I don't care who you are you can not just pull out a pistol and KNOW what the holdover is for 1000 yards on a given day. By the same token, I don't care who you are, if you practice that shot enough you could probably hit it on demand when a camera is running.

I eagerly await your video.

-ld

-ld

you honestly think JM just walked up and knew exactly where to aim a pistol to hit a balloon at 1000 yards?

What I find amusing is doing the maths.

That looks like a 2x3ft steel plate (which was really the target, not the balloon)

That means he hit something like a 3.5moa target at 1000 yards with a handgun, without magnified optics, off hand.

We do have a contingent of folks who tell us that anything smaller then 4moa for rifle targets in 3gun is bad. Errr ... ok, but I guess we can have Jerry shoot the same stages with his revolver instead of a rifle. :)

Edited by Vlad

-ld

you honestly think JM just walked up and knew exactly where to aim a pistol to hit a balloon at 1000 yards?

Absolutely not Sarge. I do suspect he had the math worked out well ahead of his first attempt (of course how many attempts before he commited to video is something we don't know). To me the impressive thing is that he did it without the benefit of a rest. Excellent control.

Of course Jerry threw boxes of bullets downrange before the camera was rolling and most likely had the targets placed in a way which would give him a point of reference on the horivon to aim at, but 1,000 yards is really far!

I've put five out of six shots on a 3' plate at 200 yards with a revolver once I figured out the holdover, but that's a whole lot closer :)

Edited by kneelingatlas

1. I want to know what he was aiming at. Had to be something way up in the sky someplace.

2. At that range, the bullet was basically just falling when it hit the balloon. Surprised it didn't just bounce off.

3. At that distance, the elevation is not the big problem, it's windage. At 1000yd a good long range rifle will have to compensate 8-9" per mph. With a 9mm, a bunny fart would blow the bullet off target.

Edited by Graham Smith