Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 2011 or stock?

Sporky

I am looking for my first 2011 limited gun.

Should I buy a new Dawson CRP Edge or try to get a custom gun used?

IF i am going to spend that kind of money, I would like shiny and new.....but I have never shot a custom gun so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I am doing this in the next month or so.....any advise would help me out a TON

I would say buy a stock gun (new or used), shoot it a whole bunch, shoot other peoples, figure out what you like, dislike, and what you would change if you could....then order a custom build and keep on shooting the gun you have until it is done.. you will still have a lot of resale value if not all of it in the stock gun and you will then have a custom exactly how you want it

Bottom line, you probably can't go wrong either way!

I would say buy a stock gun (new or used), shoot it a whole bunch, shoot other peoples, figure out what you like, dislike, and what you would change if you could....then order a custom build and keep on shooting the gun you have until it is done.. you will still have a lot of resale value if not all of it in the stock gun and you will then have a custom exactly how you want it

What he said. I went with a Brazos HP edge to start. A friend went with a Dawson CRP. We both went custom after we knew exactly what we wanted and now use them as back-up guns. I'm pretty sure this is the best route to take. I've known people that bought used customs and have no way modify them to what they want. I would also suggest getting it with the blue finish. I did not, I bought one hard chromed and will take a big hit if I ever want to modify my slide.

I think it depends on how discerning your tastes are. Custom gun will probably have the parts fit a little better, the trigger will probably be tuned for a lighter/crisper pull, and may have some different internal parts that the builder thinks are better than stock. You'll also have a relationshop with a builder that you can go back to for issues that might crop up later on.

Then again STI has a pretty good warranty and customer service on their guns and quite a few people (myself included) have been happy with stock 2011's, but you won;t have that one-on-one relationship.

I agree that you can't go wrong either way. Seeing as you are new to 2011's, maybe buying a stock or used gun is the way to go and shoot it a bunch. Later when you have more familiarity with the platform and know what you like/dislike a custom would be the way to go.

Good luck with your decision.

I think it depends on how discerning your tastes are. Custom gun will probably have the parts fit a little better, the trigger will probably be tuned for a lighter/crisper pull, and may have some different internal parts that the builder thinks are better than stock. You'll also have a relationshop with a builder that you can go back to for issues that might crop up later on.

Then again STI has a pretty good warranty and customer service on their guns and quite a few people (myself included) have been happy with stock 2011's, but you won;t have that one-on-one relationship.

I agree that you can't go wrong either way. Seeing as you are new to 2011's, maybe buying a stock or used gun is the way to go and shoot it a bunch. Later when you have more familiarity with the platform and know what you like/dislike a custom would be the way to go.

Good luck with your decision.

It didn't sound like he would be buying a new custom built to his needs but a used one which would have been built to someone elses. If he wants to get a new custom, I would still buy a stock one as he said he wanted to do it in a month and the custom would likely be a lot longer wait.

I

What he said. I went with a Brazos HP edge to start. A friend went with a Dawson CRP. We both went custom after we knew exactly what we wanted and now use them as back-up guns. I'm pretty sure this is the best route to take. I've known people that bought used customs and have no way modify them to what they want. I would also suggest getting it with the blue finish. I did not, I bought one hard chromed and will take a big hit if I ever want to modify my slide.

Buying a blued gun is probably the best option as well. I bought a used executive which is factory hard chromed which makes it challenging to do any slide lightening without paying a huge premium. I got a good deal on it so it didn't matter to me then but now I'm looking at a custom because I want to do some slide lightening and it doesn't make sense to do it to a HC gun from the factory. Had I bought a blued gun I could do the cuts and then HC it as I'm really happy with the fit of it from the factory.

I like the used custom gun route. But it could require a bit of patience to find the right feature/price combo. If you can't wait, the new CRP option is fine as well.

But if I went used, I'd focus on guns made by well-respected builders. It doesn't take long to figure out who those guys are with a little searching of this forum.

I've bought new and used stock STI guns. I've bought used custom guns. And I've ordered a new custom gun with all the things my heart desired.

I've been happy with each of them.

I shot this group hand held at 25 yards two days ago with my bone stock edge (changed front sight) I personally don't need anything better. Any gun that I can shoot (I'm nobody) and keep them on a 2 inch paster at twenty five gets my vote.

777D2720-636B-44C1-83C1-7BF7F809F66C_zps

Edited by ipscjoe

Wow great responses!

I am going to keep the gun fund going and when I reach a solid amount in the bank I will get a "stock" or semi-custom unless I stumble into a good deal on a custom.

I really just want something accurate so that I can focus on getting my skills up to where they need to be to make me happy

This is my first year shooting (8 matches under my belt so far) and I am using an M&P 9mm. (yeah minor is killing me). I think the gun is not as accurate as it could be, and I really like shooting limited. I thought about going SS cause I really like my 1911, but all the reloads are too much for me to concentrate on when I need improvement in so many other areas.

Thanks for all the advise and keep it coming!

(and if anyone has a killer deal on an amazing gun, keep me in mind)

There is a wonderful phrase on this forum, "Pay once, cry once"

My first stock gun was an STI Trojan-very accurate-so so quality

My second gun was a semi-custom built STI - nice gun-sold it

All my other guns were SV custom built by Kodiak Precision. Not everyone can wait years for a gun from Don but it was worth it.

If the budget is there custom is the way to go - IMO. Do my SVs shoot better than the Edge -- absolutely. Does it make a difference in my classification-not one silly bit.

Get what you want. But being on this forum, Im gonna assume your going to run n gun the crap out of it, So purchasing used wouldn't hurt, if anything, you could always replace it. I want a 2011, but cant come up with the funds just yet. So to keep me occupied is a STI Trojan in .40. I seen one in classifieds and was a day late and a dollar short, so I went brand brand new. They'll be holster marks before I know it. haha.

Get what you want. But being on this forum, Im gonna assume your going to run n gun the crap out of it, So purchasing used wouldn't hurt, if anything, you could always replace it. I want a 2011, but cant come up with the funds just yet. So to keep me occupied is a STI Trojan in .40. I seen one in classifieds and was a day late and a dollar short, so I went brand brand new. They'll be holster marks before I know it. haha.

Oh yeah.....I just started this year and I am practicing 1-2 times a week, 1 match a week, bough a Dillon 650, and selling off stuff I don't use from all my other hobbys so I can get a 2011 pistol....

Good thing my wife can't see my bank account!

If i am going to spend this kind of money, it is hard for me to not have something brand new....

Order a custom built

then buy a used Edge, by the time your gun is built you have the edge the way you like it so you can appoint your custom build with the final things to keep them the same.i.e. safety, grip safety, magwell, grip tape or texture etc. all the stuff that is done near the end of the build.

and you'll already have a back up gun

Remember its only ,money!!!!!!

Similar situation to yours. I am one year into USPSA. Shooting a Glock 34 in Limited. Ready to jump in the deep end and move up to a 2011 platform. Talk to you fellow shooters. Ask to try their guns after a match. If you can't shoot them at least hold as many different ones as possible. I was fortunate that I have been able to hold as well as shoot many different 2011's. Let me tell you this, they are very different. From a bone stock 5" Edge to a full custom 6". Little details like the shape of the safety, size and shape of the magwell, grip texture. I felt I had enough exposure to have a custom gun built. I was able to determine what I didn't like on the stock guns and what I liked on the customs. Bottom line, get your paws on as many guns as possible. You will be surprised how different each one is. What works for me may not work for you.

You can't go wrong with a Dawson CRP Edge. My only concern about buying a used custom built gun is how many rounds have been through it. Nothing is worse than having a gun that becomes unreliable during matches. A new gun, after it's tuned should provide years of service. I am the proud owner of a CRP Edge, could have bought a custom but used the extra money to invest in my gear and practice ammo.

I was in the same boat. I was shooting my carry M&P9 for 2 seasons of USPSA and 1 season of 3-gun. I had decided I was going to build a new gun this year and was going to build a 5" M&P. Talked with some of my friends and well I now have a fully custom hi-cap 1911. I say that because it is not a 2011 frame but a PT which I love. I am lucky enough to have Acc-U-rail right around the corner and I worked with him for a couple months planning things out while the build was going on.

I went with the buy once cry once theory. I have invested thousands in other hobbies slowly upgrading and I finally decided to just pony up the money and do it right the first time. All in, I don't think my build was far off from what some of the guns from Dawson and Brazos. The thing I liked the most, the gun is built how I wanted it and it was TIGHT. I was shooting, and still am higher power factor loads to finish breaking in the gun. I had to do it once before I had it coated and I am doing it again now that it was hard chromed.

Either route will be much better than a M&P though. It is a huge change, the trigger alone is worth it.

A few years back I purchased a Brazos High Performance Edge and I'm still 100% content with it for my limited gun. If you went that route and decided a few years later to have a custom gun built, you wouldn't have any trouble selling it.

consider a custom gun from the likes of cheely custom, or akai custom.

disclaimer: I don't own either of their guns, but from what I've seen they build very solid and RELIABLE guns. in this game the fanciest gun in the world is useless if it's only 95% reliable. You need a gun that goes bang every time you want it to. :) Those two I mentioned seem to charge pretty reasonable prices too.

I've had several STI's new and used, and if I were you I'd keep an eye on the for sale forum on here and some of selling sites like Gun Broker. Until you know exactly what you want used would be the way to go. Seems like there is a pretty good selection on the for sale forum right now. Good luck.

I've noticed that my shooting has improved after I've shot a lot of different guns and customizing my stock Edge slowly.

Now I would probably go for a custom gun, but the journey of slowly customizing the stock gun has given a lot of valuable insight about what I like and what options there are, how different modifications change the way a gun behaves etc.

So for a first race gun I would recommend a stock gun and a good gunsmith, just to get the learning experience.

• 4 months later...

Looks like I am ready to take the plunge...anyone know where/ who I could get one from now?

I bought a CRP Edge from Dawson in July this year. I'm running it the way it came from them other than a different colored grip, and it hasn't choked on me yet. I'm using their SNL base pads and followers with stock tubes. Dawson has always given me excellent service with the two guns and shopping basket full of parts/accessories that I have gotten from them. They get my vote if you want to buy new.

Ya know, one of the greatest things about the 1911/2011 platform is the ability to do what you want with it and come up with a gun that fits you. Specifically you. Like a tailored suit.

If you have the money, and the time to wait, have a custom built with exactly what you want. If time and money are a concern, go with the Dawson and "adjust" it to your fit and needs.