929 Sighting

TBear

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello: Sounds like the brass needs to go into a Case Pro. I use mine for all the police, range and military brass. Done once and shot out of my gun it reloads so much easier in my RL1050. I just use the Dillon sizer for all my 9mm brass after in has gone through the Case Pro. Now I just have to finish the electric drive for the Case Pro. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with S&W today. There talking at least a 6 month back log for the model 929. It seems as this is the norm for them not only for there performance center offerings but virtually anything new they come out with??? Must be disappointing for dealers to have to take orders and know they won't make the actual sale for 6+ for months!!! Maybe by then someone will be tired of theirs and I'll get a better deal and S&W will loose the sale!!!

Spoke with S&W today. There talking at least a 6 month back log for the model 929. It seems as this is the norm for them not only for there performance center offerings but virtually anything new they come out with??? Must be disappointing for dealers to have to take orders and know they won't make the actual sale for 6+ for months!!! Maybe by then someone will be tired of theirs and I'll get a better deal and S&W will loose the sale!!!

I call "BS" on the factory six month lead time, I ordered mine in Late Devember 2013, checked with my dealer last week, he placed his order at the pre Shot Show meeting and still does not know when it will show up.

Never had interest when short colt accomplish the same thing. :)

Ah ha! Here's the thing, the 929 doesn't really do anything that a 627 can't. BUT if you are new to revo, an 8 shot 9mm is a rest way to go. Let's face it, short Colt brass is a pain to find, 9mm load data and variety of bullets are greater. Plus the 6.5 barrel is SWEET. So yeah if you are all set with a 627, no need to change. If not, 929 time!

I call "BS" on the factory six month lead time, I ordered mine in Late Devember 2013, checked with my dealer last week, he placed his order at the pre Shot Show meeting and still does not know when it will show up.
These will be 'Allocated' for quite some time. While S&W will make them available to distributors based on their production schedules, the distributors choose how they will 'allocate' the extremely limited supply of a high demand item. The distributors generally will make these items (ie the 929) available to dealers who agree to buy a large amount of other stock (maybe a package of $25k of other S&W products) or have a history of doing a large volume of business with that distributor. Most of S&Ws sales are to a couple distributors, hence the limited availability.

My local smaller LGS has 627 PCs on order with all their distributors and haven't seen one in over a year. Another local store that stocks literally hundreds of S&Ws has them in stock at all times, but only got ONE 929o out of the recent run.

You're pretty unlikely to see that order filled by a smaller LGS that's not a stocking S&W dealer anytime in the near future. S&W also seems to be cutting the volume of PC revolvers going out the door to boost demand, which helps their retail partners get higher prices.

If you're interested in seeing where things stand, Davidsons is a good channel. They'll show if a gun is Allocated or available for general order. If you sign up for an alert when they get guns in stock, you'll get an email when they hit distributors (Davidsons will get some). If it's an allocated gun, they'll show out of stock and you won't be able to order it, but you can be assured they'll start to hit retail stores in 7-10 days, so start checking GB. That got me a 929 for $1125 over a month ago.

I guess the overall thing to remember is that your store doesn't order from S&W, they order from a distributor, and it's not first come first serve. And even if S&W is 6 months back logged to distributors, your store may not get in line for over a year.

Edited by peterthefish

When I ordered from the local large shop, and they are very large, all orders are placed through the guy that does the gun orders for the store. They stock from 6 distributors and are big enough that apparently they do get guns direct from the factory as well. He said that it would be 8 months minimum but not to get hopes up, best to just forget you ordered it...

His comment was what I have heard repeatedly from relative insiders which is not that they could make more and don't, it is that they just do not have the capacity to make metal guns anymore. AR's and plastic stuff sure, but steel, not so much...

I am guessing its going to be pretty much same situation as a lot of revolvers that smith makes, these things are never going to be readily available, always going to take some searching...

Ah ha! Here's the thing, the 929 doesn't really do anything that a 627 can't. BUT if you are new to revo, an 8 shot 9mm is a rest way to go. Let's face it, short Colt brass is a pain to find, 9mm load data and variety of bullets are greater. Plus the 6.5 barrel is SWEET. So yeah if you are all set with a 627, no need to change. If not, 929 time!

Exactly correct.

I'm disapppointed with S&W for the huge delay in delivering on the 929 promise. Their initial timing was excellent (introducing the model at the exact moment that USPSA began allowing 8-minor), but by the time the guns are actually available, some of the momentum will have been lost.

Exactly correct.

I'm disapppointed with S&W for the huge delay in delivering on the 929 promise. Their initial timing was excellent (introducing the model at the exact moment that USPSA began allowing 8-minor), but by the time the guns are actually available, some of the momentum will have been lost.

I agree Carmony. Last spring I had folks that shoot other divisions asking if I could get them one. The excitement over the 8-shot guns has definitely died down. We don't even have 627's to offer them. I don't think I've seen a 8-shot in the shop since all this crap blew up almost 2 year ago. We stocked them regularly before that.

I'll start setting aside $10 a week and we'll see if I reach inflated MSRP before the gun is actually in my LGS!!! Maybe by then Revo division will be 12 shot minor and we'll be hearing promise of a new wheel gun for that division.. LOL.....

Looks like they screwed up the anodizing / coating on the front of the cylinder too...

It's probably just the picture. The Ti cylinders look funny when you clean them and then get oil on part of it and the little black marks are where powder accumulates on mine as well. That front sight is pretty fugly though.

It is strange, almost two days and no bid..

But you know how pict.are.Most things aren't as bad as they look,with all the cell phone pictures.

yeah, if i wasn't already on the hook for one(ordered with deposit) I would just buy this one as long as it went for 1189 or less...

All the ones that I have watched on auction went past 1500 though and this one will too...

Ace job on that front sight install. Looks like they screwed up the anodizing / coating on the front of the cylinder too...

Front sight only goes on one way. The SDM sight only comes in one length and the crescent is in the standard location. The slot in the barrel is where S&W put it. Unless SDM offers a shorter length front sight ALL 929's that go with a SDM front sight will be this way. In fact my 627 38 super is the same way.

No one screwed up the install that is the ONLY way it will fit. If that is a problem you will have to find a different brand FO front sight and those might have the same problem.

Ace job on that front sight install. Looks like they screwed up the anodizing / coating on the front of the cylinder too...

Front sight only goes on one way. The SDM sight only comes in one length and the crescent is in the standard location. The slot in the barrel is where S&W put it. Unless SDM offers a shorter length front sight ALL 929's that go with a SDM front sight will be this way. In fact my 627 38 super is the same way.

No one screwed up the install that is the ONLY way it will fit. If that is a problem you will have to find a different brand FO front sight and those might have the same problem.

You are right about the 627-38 super,I had one put on the fiber optic sight and took it back off..It worked but looked like that one.Later sold the gun..dammit ...

One of Warren's (Protocall Designs) front sights will look just fine one the 929 since it is short enough to fit the ramp.