Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Sighting

TBear

Local shop just got a 929, stuck my name on it and called me.

The issue:

I'm deep into the 627s and short colt. 2 guns, both Apexed, TI cylinders. One gun is a 4" pro that I'm planning a custom barrel for.

What do I do now? Buy the gun and spend the money to get it up and running? If I have 1 9mm that becomes my primary, I'll need a second for backup, or bring short colt ammo.

Buy the gun and sit on it until the brass/moonclip issue works itself out?

Stick with the 627s?

The price is fair in my opinion, so that's not a factor in this particular purchase.

If price is retail, pm me, I will buy it.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Local shop just got a 929, stuck my name on it and called me.

The issue:

I'm deep into the 627s and short colt. 2 guns, both Apexed, TI cylinders. One gun is a 4" pro that I'm planning a custom barrel for.

What do I do now? Buy the gun and spend the money to get it up and running? If I have 1 9mm that becomes my primary, I'll need a second for backup, or bring short colt ammo.

Buy the gun and sit on it until the brass/moonclip issue works itself out?

Stick with the 627s?

The price is fair in my opinion, so that's not a factor in this particular purchase.

Mike, you bring up the same points i've been rattling in my head.

Revolver is my main gig, and i'm heavy into nothing but 38 caliber stuff...To me, just throwing in the 9mm wouldnt be any different then going back to short colt.

New bullets, new dies, new press setup, new brass, new moonclips, and for what? shooting ammo that is no different then short colt?

I've been going back and forth on it for a while, i'll probably buy a 929 " one day " ... but as you know, I just bought another 627 to build up.

The only good thing, depending on price .. if it's around the 1000-1200 dollar mark is the configuration. You cant build a 627 up to those specs at that price... 6.5" barrel, titanium cylinder.

alecmc, I don't think it's possible to improve on the rig you have, it's really nice. I think the 929 from the factory has a lot of custom features that are great if you have not done all the work setting up something like yours.

After thinking about it for a grand total of 1 hour, I think I'll pick it up.

Not sure how the project will go but I shouldn't have a problem unloading 1 627. And I still have a backup to that with a 327. I'm wondering if it won't be 5" guns for USPSA and 6.5" for the IRC?

After thinking about it for a grand total of 1 hour, I think I'll pick it up.

Not sure how the project will go but I shouldn't have a problem unloading 1 627. And I still have a backup to that with a 327. I'm wondering if it won't be 5" guns for USPSA and 6.5" for the IRC?

Dude, 9mm revolvers are stupid, you need to have your dealer sell that thing to me to save you the headaches.

Like a ... Nevermind. Yes, grabbed it.

damn you!

:)

I will keep trolling GB hoping to get lucky.

I think that's the recipe for success. Looked at closed auctions for 929s - another sold for 1189 within 10 minutes of being posted.

I just realized you can save a search on GB and get email alerts if a new listing meets your search terms. Maybe try this with Wesson 929 as the search term.

Like a ... Nevermind. Yes, grabbed it.

damn you!

:)

I will keep trolling GB hoping to get lucky.

I think that's the recipe for success. Looked at closed auctions for 929s - another sold for 1189 within 10 minutes of being posted.

I just realized you can save a search on GB and get email alerts if a new listing meets your search terms. Maybe try this with Wesson 929 as the search term.

thats exactly what I was just looking for, email alerts for listings. thanks for that. I was getting ready to write the perl script, that was alot easier...

My local shooter friendly EDM shop made me both .032 and .035 moon clips for my 929. I supplied the cylinder for their testing. They also made some .040's for me to try BUT they were too tight in the gun.... I had them cut for Federal 9mm + P plated brass (9mm brass is WAY different brand to brand), nice and tight with rotation.They were priced @ $4.00 each at the time. Equal in quality to anyone's moon clip. Can load with the 9mm BMT moon/de-mooner but I de-moon by hand. Currently using Frontier 147 dbl. struck 9mm bullets and TiteGroup for 130 PF. Factory moon's were pretty worthless depending on the brand of brass.

Edited by mike NM

Here it is!!!!! Got the call it was in, out the door within an hour. $1189.

Trigger is absolutely horrible!!! And that's not being a snob, it's dry, gritty, and firm.

I think the rep., wholesaler, or dealer had a little time with it, note the edge of the cylinder, and wear ring, and only one moonclip. Obviously not issue enough for a hesitation to buy. Next call is to Smith and Wesson, about perhaps, fulfilling the clip obligation and warranty info.

Interesting firing pin.

post-14717-0-67015500-1406578257_thumb.j

post-14717-0-73322100-1406578273_thumb.j

post-14717-0-72945300-1406578285_thumb.j

The firing pin looks to be the same in the 986. The body is a hollow tube with the retaining pin slot pressed onto a short shank of the actual firing pin. I have not miced a standard pin vs the new one but side by side they appear to have the same dimensions. Can't wait to have the two parts separate during a match due to joint fatigue from repeated hammer strikes. Potential for sad faces in the middle of a stage.

That last one, auction just closed at 1601.

I will admit, a week ago I HAD TO HAVE IT OR WAS SURELY GOING TO DIE fever going on, but the fever broke. 1600 is the gun and action job and moonclips...

patience is hard.

That last one, auction just closed at 1601.

I will admit, a week ago I HAD TO HAVE IT OR WAS SURELY GOING TO DIE fever going on, but the fever broke. 1600 is the gun and action job and moonclips...

patience is hard.

and I quote : " if it goes for under 1600, that gun is mine "

lol

It's the right call though, wait it out and get it for the right price, it's not like it's going to be instant gratification, it'll still be out a few for work before you shoot it anyway.