Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Sighting

TBear

Give it a while then they will hit the market like the 610 and the 38 supers and they will bottom out. Then buy and enjoy. Until then my 38 short colt loads will do just fine and I have a gun that will shoot short colt, mid colt, 38 special and 357 mag. I can shoot steel, ICORE, USPSA and hunt deer with it. Let's see a 929 do all that and I only have to have one brand of moon clip or no moon clip at all.

Edited by revoman

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's because it is a mim part as well. It's been flashed chromed, but that will flake off and into the works. Not one of their better ideas, especially for a, for the lack of a better word A PC Gun. Several people here have posted that has happened to them.

As to the post about the funk inside, look back toward the front of this thread and you'll find that Gregg K. posted finding the same thing when opened his up.

Mine came in today. Also only one moonclip - were more expected? I know my 986 came w 3, but Id already ordered some from TK so an extra 1 or 2 won't make or break it.

One issue though. When I close the cylinder after reloading I'm using applying pressure in the cylinder clockwise to get it to lock solidly in place. But it won't. The cylinder just spins not locking up until it stops moving. It will then engage the stop. The stop doesn't appear to be sticking - I'm wondering if it's just a bit short or perhaps gunked up inside. Well see when I get it apart later this week.

Trigger is about what I expect to see from a new PC gun - nothing special. Hopefully a cleaning and some shooting clears up the issue...

Hey Dean....you could always bore the 929 out to 9mm Magnum for deer hunting. :roflol:But you are right...no need to chase the 929 if we've got our 627s all set up to run. Jay Tappe pointed out years ago the the PC in Performance Center gun really stood for "pretty crappy" triggers. I have owned at least 6 PC guns and everyone of them needed significant work to run correctly.

It's pretty clear to me the PC department is feeling pressure and cranking the 929s out as fast as they can assemble them. That's what happens when you announce a gun and have none to sell. I thought that was Bill Ruger's trick.

Ball detent needing adjustment?

I don't think so. It closes and locks closed fine (other than the fact it spins as I'm closing it). If I intentionally close it between stops, I can spin the cylinder clockwise freely.

The ball of the cylinder stop looks like it is angled on the left rather than square, but light wasn't good. I'll take pics when I get back Thur on the road a few days this week.

Ball detent needing adjustment?

I don't think so. It closes and locks closed fine (other than the fact it spins as I'm closing it). If I intentionally close it between stops, I can spin the cylinder clockwise freely.

The ball of the cylinder stop looks like it is angled on the left rather than square, but light wasn't good. I'll take pics when I get back Thur on the road a few days this week.

The angle on the cylinder stop is one of the design changes, like the hollow firing pin.

The angle of the stop is the same pitch as the lead in to the notch on the cylinder. This means the lead edge of the cylinder stop is deeper in the notch when the trailing edge falls off the edge and has a better chance of dropping completely into the notch before the leading edge contacts the stopping side of the notch, this design change is meant to reduce peening.

This makes alot of sense as peening is mostly occuring when cylinder rotation speed is high, the leading edge of the cylinder stop actually does not fall all the way into the slot before hitting the edge of the notch.

The new design should help reduce peening.

Yes, but not like it was when I was in my 20's. Kind of a personal question, not sure what it has to do with revolvers. :)

Yes, it stiffer, and a 1.5 inch longer, I think its looking better as time goes on. Seems to handle well too, just hard to tell in the house with everybody around. Getting funny looks from the wife. Oh well, I'll let it work itself out.

So I might have an opportunity to get one of these 929 Unicorn Revolvers for <$1000 (not much less mind you). I really wanted one when I first saw the press releases. Now I am torn, I am all setup up with my 627 Pro 5", got lots of moonclips, 38SC brass, and good bullets/load for reloading. So I am torn on spending more money on a redundant revolver. I really like the long barrel of the 929, having started in Revolver with a 610 6.5". In addition to spending a grand for the revolver it would required getting setup reloading 9mm (don't own a 9mm at the present). I have the 9mm dies for loading 38SC but would need brass and bullets. Not to mention a new holster and lots of money in new moonclips (can't cheep out with the 929 as I think TK is the only manufacture of moonclips). Not to mention a new revolver is going to need trigger work. My other N-frames have all been bought used with pretty good trigger jobs already done on them. What do you guys think? Say, "Screw it!" and buy at S&W Model 10 and shoot IDPA SSR on the cheap or spend the big bucks on the new-hotness?

So I might have an opportunity to get one of these 929 Unicorn Revolvers for <$1000 (not much less mind you). I really wanted one when I first saw the press releases. Now I am torn, I am all setup up with my 627 Pro 5", got lots of moonclips, 38SC brass, and good bullets/load for reloading. So I am torn on spending more money on a redundant revolver. I really like the long barrel of the 929, having started in Revolver with a 610 6.5". In addition to spending a grand for the revolver it would required getting setup reloading 9mm (don't own a 9mm at the present). I have the 9mm dies for loading 38SC but would need brass and bullets. Not to mention a new holster and lots of money in new moonclips (can't cheep out with the 929 as I think TK is the only manufacture of moonclips). Not to mention a new revolver is going to need trigger work. My other N-frames have all been bought used with pretty good trigger jobs already done on them. What do you guys think? Say, "Screw it!" and buy at S&W Model 10 and shoot IDPA SSR on the cheap or spend the big bucks on the new-hotness?

If you don't want it and can connect me with seller, I will buy it.