929 Sighting

TBear

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 629 has a quick change and that's never come out even with some pretty stout loads, so, does that happen?

I prefer DWs method (set screw) but never had an issue with S&W

have personally participated in no less than 3 find the front site exercises at various matches. not mine thankfully..

My 629 has a quick change and that's never come out even with some pretty stout loads, so, does that happen?

I prefer DWs method (set screw) but never had an issue with S&W

have personally participated in no less than 3 find the front site exercises at various matches. not mine thankfully..

Good to know - thanks!

Ball detent needing adjustment?

I don't think so. It closes and locks closed fine (other than the fact it spins as I'm closing it). If I intentionally close it between stops, I can spin the cylinder clockwise freely.

The ball of the cylinder stop looks like it is angled on the left rather than square, but light wasn't good. I'll take pics when I get back Thur on the road a few days this week.

The angle on the cylinder stop is one of the design changes, like the hollow firing pin.

The angle of the stop is the same pitch as the lead in to the notch on the cylinder. This means the lead edge of the cylinder stop is deeper in the notch when the trailing edge falls off the edge and has a better chance of dropping completely into the notch before the leading edge contacts the stopping side of the notch, this design change is meant to reduce peening.

This makes alot of sense as peening is mostly occuring when cylinder rotation speed is high, the leading edge of the cylinder stop actually does not fall all the way into the slot before hitting the edge of the notch.

The new design should help reduce peening.

That would explain the no lockup going clockwise.

So I might have an opportunity to get one of these 929 Unicorn Revolvers for <$1000 (not much less mind you). I really wanted one when I first saw the press releases. Now I am torn, I am all setup up with my 627 Pro 5", got lots of moonclips, 38SC brass, and good bullets/load for reloading. So I am torn on spending more money on a redundant revolver. I really like the long barrel of the 929, having started in Revolver with a 610 6.5". In addition to spending a grand for the revolver it would required getting setup reloading 9mm (don't own a 9mm at the present). I have the 9mm dies for loading 38SC but would need brass and bullets. Not to mention a new holster and lots of money in new moonclips (can't cheep out with the 929 as I think TK is the only manufacture of moonclips). Not to mention a new revolver is going to need trigger work. My other N-frames have all been bought used with pretty good trigger jobs already done on them. What do you guys think? Say, "Screw it!" and buy at S&W Model 10 and shoot IDPA SSR on the cheap or spend the big bucks on the new-hotness?

I gotta sweet low round count 5" 625-4 that I'd use for trade material. :devil:

Yes, mine pinned as well. Looks to be the standard. Also, called S&W regarding the moonclips, they confirmed it ships with one only. Tried my 38 super moons with the 9's and seems to work fine. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Edited by lora

So I might have an opportunity to get one of these 929 Unicorn Revolvers for <$1000 (not much less mind you). I really wanted one when I first saw the press releases. Now I am torn, I am all setup up with my 627 Pro 5", got lots of moonclips, 38SC brass, and good bullets/load for reloading. So I am torn on spending more money on a redundant revolver. I really like the long barrel of the 929, having started in Revolver with a 610 6.5". In addition to spending a grand for the revolver it would required getting setup reloading 9mm (don't own a 9mm at the present). I have the 9mm dies for loading 38SC but would need brass and bullets. Not to mention a new holster and lots of money in new moonclips (can't cheep out with the 929 as I think TK is the only manufacture of moonclips). Not to mention a new revolver is going to need trigger work. My other N-frames have all been bought used with pretty good trigger jobs already done on them. What do you guys think? Say, "Screw it!" and buy at S&W Model 10 and shoot IDPA SSR on the cheap or spend the big bucks on the new-hotness?

My thought is shoot your Pro, unless you won't miss the 1-1.2k, I agree that as time passes these 929 will be seen more and maybe below msrp. Though right now, retail dealers seem to be ignorant of the demand for our small community and that is probably the only time I would say its a good thing.

BTW, I know we all have opinions on holsters, but my CRSpeed works for both barrel lengths, hence one size fIts all. And, after fully adjusting it correctly, I haven't had any near drops. But, I also haven't had that bazaar starting position of, standing on your head, jump up, roll left then roll right, then draw.

Edited by lora

My thought is shoot your Pro, unless you won't miss the 1-1.2k, I agree that as time passes these 929 will be seen more and maybe below msrp. Though right now, retail dealers seem to be ignorant of the demand for our small community and that is probably the only time I would say its a good thing.

BTW, I know we all have opinions on holsters, but my CRSpeed works for both barrel lengths, hence one size fIts all. And, after fully adjusting it correctly, I haven't had any near drops. But, I also haven't had that bazaar starting position of, standing on your head, jump up, roll left then roll right, then draw.

I am leaning that way at the moment. Sort of want that old Model 10 I saw at the LFGS and shoot IDPA the hard way. Holster wise I have been using a Bladetech 5" for both my 625 and 627 so at local matches I shoot Revolver with the 625 and then Production with the 627. I guess I could dig out my old Bianchi Cup holster I use with the S&W 610 6.5" if I break down and buy it. Too many guns and not enough money...

Gone in 12 minutes!

mine.

Congrats!

Thanks man

Gone in 12 minutes!

mine.

Cool!

I would have grabbed it, but I just bought a CZ Shadow!

Next time!

Appreciate the heads up, I had gunbroker set to email but never got one for this listing.

(can't cheep out with the 929 as I think TK is the only manufacture of moonclips)?

Maybe not.

Expound please. I have always assume Hearthco made moons for/with TK, is this not correct?

(can't cheep out with the 929 as I think TK is the only manufacture of moonclips)?

Maybe not.

Dave,

Sending you an email today, seeings how I finally scored one of these things I need some ancillary stuff now...

sean

Maybe not.
Expound please. I have always assume Hearthco made moons for/with TK, is this not correct?
I only do design and EDM programming for Tom. I am no longer a supplier. You can only get Hearthco moonclips from Apex Tactical or myself at dhearth@hotmail.com

I make moonclips for just about everything. Dave

Edited by hearthco

Yes the comp has to come off, the gun comes with a blank cap to protect the crown.

Does the rifling go all the way to the end? I haven't seen one in person yet and wondered about that.

Want to just lop that whole thing off when i get mine...