Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you going to load in your 929?

GTOGuy06

Lets be real honest here, we want the 929..... Err, I want the 929 and I can only assume that at least one other person here wants it. And I'm sure that one other person has also thought about load development for it. Right now, I shoot 124gr Bayous for 9mm plinking but Im wondering what I am going to throw down the 929. I am thinking Id rather go with a heavy bullet while still sticking with a round nose. Im thinking ill get a sample of 135gr RN and 160 RN Bayous. Ive never shot anything heavier than 147 out of a 9mm, so Im curious to how something as heavy as a 160 is going to work.

So, What are you going to load your 929 with?

I will start out with my short colt load of 3.4 grains of red dot and a 147 gr Extreme, I also have a few 160 Bayous, 130 gr Berrys and 124 Mt Golds for testing, hopefully I can find one load for both my revo and semi auto.

Edited by 357454

So after some careful consideration... IF I ever get my hands on this gun, I will be starting my loads with 160gr bayous. At the same power factor, its nice to see the kinetic energy of the 160gr be ~78% of that of the 124gr and ~71% of that of the 115gr. Since we dont have to worry about cycling, I think that should be nice.

Do you think that a projectile moving that slowly will negatively affect performance on a moving target?

So after some careful consideration... IF I ever get my hands on this gun, I will be starting my loads with 160gr bayous. At the same power factor, its nice to see the kinetic energy of the 160gr be ~78% of that of the 124gr and ~71% of that of the 115gr. Since we dont have to worry about cycling, I think that should be nice.

Do you think that a projectile moving that slowly will negatively affect performance on a moving target?

A 160 Bayou at 135 PF is 845 f/s, pretty much what was standard for years in a 45acp with 200 SWC's. And that wasn't ever a problem.

Same load I use in my M&P with a 135 gr. bayou with WST or N310 I'm using 4.0 gr. right now so I'll just have to see if that makes minor in the 929 whenever I get my hands on one and then crank out all of my ammo on hand.

Well, I'm going to load only my "A" zone bullets (although I have lot's more of the "C" & "D" zone bullets)... (Very few "B" bullets on hand).... I gave all my "MIKE" bullets to a guy who is a "not so nice" person. I've been having a hard time finding the "A" zone bullets lately, almost as hard to find as good .22 ammo?... Go figure????....

So where do we get these guns? Are there some of you out there that actually have them in hand?? BTW, I shoot .356 diameter Nosler 135 grain jacketed in 9mm brass with tight Group in my .38 super. Assume it will work well in 9 chambers?

I'm trying to imagine why I would do anything but start with a well known production load of which there are several excellent well known bullet powder combo's.

why make this complicated?

I'm trying to imagine why I would do anything but start with a well known production load of which there are several excellent well known bullet powder combo's.

That's pretty much my feeling on it as well. I may tweak if my current set up doesn't pan out, but a big reason why I wanted a 9mm revolver to begin with was to avoid having to set up another bullet/powder combo for my guns (but right after that was the awesome factor of a 9mm revolver). I want to streamline my loading process not make it more complex.

-Ben

That's pretty much my feeling on it as well. I may tweak if my current set up doesn't pan out, but a big reason why I wanted a 9mm revolver to begin with was to avoid having to set up another bullet/powder combo for my guns (but right after that was the awesome factor of a 9mm revolver). I want to streamline my loading process not make it more complex.

-Ben

Exactly!

I get it, to each there own and plenty of people like messing with this stuff. Personally, I just want a known good load so I can shoot.

If I got a 929, I would use my exact same 147g berrys, 3.2 TG loaded to 1.15 COAL. That is a soft accurate load in every pistol I've shot it through and I would expect nothing but the same from a 929.

Edited by seanc

• 2 weeks later...

I like your thinking

I bet that will feel like a .22 in an N-frame

I kind of thought the whole idea of a 9mm Revo was so I could use the same ammo I currently shoot in my Production gun. If I'm going to change the load I'd just as soon keep the shooting the 627. I want to simplify by shooting the same ammo in my auto and Revo.

Currently shooting 158 grain RN Jacketed with 3.5ish grains of Tight Group in 9mm brass loaded to 1.200 OAL. Shoots very, very well out of .38 super 627. Like 3 inches at 50 good!! Might be a fluke.... This is what your gonna have to deal with in Barry, Carmoney!! No more flat points for me...

Currently shooting 158 grain RN Jacketed with 3.5ish grains of Tight Group in 9mm brass loaded to 1.200 OAL. Shoots very, very well out of .38 super 627. Like 3 inches at 50 good!! Might be a fluke.... This is what your gonna have to deal with in Barry, Carmoney!! No more flat points for me...

I had the same load, at 1.150 if I remember correctly, go about 4 inches. 147s are what I'm sending to nationals, got them down to 3" at 50.

I don't see a huge reason to change the load in 9mm brass, unless that faster twist does magical things to the 158s.

Edited by MWP

What brand bullet?

So is that what you're blaming those slow-ass reloads on? Flat-point bullets? ;)

Edited by Carmoney