Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker or No Slide Racker?

JPG

My current open gun does not have a slide racker. I'm starting a new build this week - current "spec" includes a slide racker.

Space wise, I don't need it because I'm going with the RTS2. There are 2 advantages that I see to having one:

- no need to take your eyes off the sight when racking during a stage

- slide racker props up the gun for easier table draw.

Are there other functional reasons to have a slide racker? Disadvantages?

My main concern is that I don't it to drag the attention of my eye when I get sight picture. Thoughts?

Some people say it gets in their way when shooting or feels uncomfortable.

I love it - makes racking gun much easier and certain (repeatable) and less

likely to scrape my hand under the C-More (not much room for my hand

to rack the slide - the racker makes it much easier.

I've Never "dragged my attention" with a racker - don't even see it when

I'm looking at the red dot.

Suggest you try one out before you buy it, but it's real easy to remove if

you don't like it. :cheers:

one of my STI Steel Match has one... I have mixed thoughts... its handy on table starts.. but other times I wish I it was not there... to take it off.. would leave a ugly dovetail slot.... as far as racking the slide... its just about as easy with it or without it..

as far as racking the slide... its just about as easy with it or without it..

I have to diagree there. It's much easier to grab and pull the slide racker than to grip both sides of the slide, and you generally don't even need to shift the pistol when doing it if the racker is on your weak-hand side.

Why would you ever have a racker on the strong side of the pistol? Intentionally that is...

Actually, I do, because I don't like the length the weak-side racker has to be to clear my sideways C-More mount.

If you run a single sided mount the racker on the right lets you take your slide off without removing the racker, in most cases.

And that's the other reason.

Edited by Parallax3D

Guns with mini dots etc probably don't need one. But with a traditional Cmore that hangs right off the back of the slide it can make it difficult and time consuming to reach under and grab the slide.

Plus, slide rackers make table starts a joy since he gun is propped up off the table.

Once you get a little older and the hands start to stiffen up, you will be glad you have one. I wouldn't be without mine.

I notice you are in The Woodlands. I hope you've already found the local clubs that put on competition. Also, there is a decent facility over in Magnolia that allows us USPSA and 3 Gunners to practice without those silly "one shot every six seconds minimum" rules.

If I can share any information, let me know.

Bill

Racker! I just installed one on my pistol and would never go without it again. I never see it when shooting. Had a couple jams on one stage and the racker made it so much easier to clear the pistol and get back up and running. But like it was said earlier, get the ball detent, makes it easier to pack into a case and to get the slide off for cleaning.

I ran a gun for 3 season without one, then had a new one built that had one. I will never have another open gun without a slide racker now. Unreal for unloaded starts, and really helps in the even you need to clear a jam! Only wish it had the ball detent instead of a set screw to hold it in the slide.

What Sarge said. I have crappy hand strength and used one with the full size Cmore. With the RTS2 I get way better purchase on the slide and can rack it just about as quickly as with the slide racker. This leaves it's sole purpose to me as a kickstand and IMHO, it is an ugly kickstand so not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend Matt's ball-detent racker. Have it on my Ltd, kicking myself for not having him do the Open gun (standard slide cut).

Yes you can clear gun boo-boos and return to shooting faster. Had some random jam at the Monster Match, the stage that was all head shots. Still came in something like 5th on that stage. Told people on the squad I had a jam; they said they didn't notice.

• 2 weeks later...

bought my open pistol on the used market and it didn't have one. Had my smith install one and now would be lost without it. Huge plus on table starts, any unloaded starts, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulling this one back from a ways but have a related question. I bought a second hand open gun recently ....it had a old school aimpoint single sided mount but the aimpoint was bad so had replaced with a single sided cmore sideway mount ...heres the related part...there is no slide racker and the slide is scalloped out from just behind the ejection port all the way to the back ..there is not enough meat to dovetail anything into it ...any ideas on a way to mount a slide racker?