Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what primers do you use

mickd1

hi all

I've got a STI GM in 38 super comp for open div I've shot around 5000 rounds so far and i strip the gun down inc the firing pin area after every session,i would like to get your opinion on what primers to use,I've used cci small rifle no 400 for some time now and i keep getting light strikes,not a lot but this could been all the difference in a match,so…could/should i go for pistol primers? would this course primer flow,

so what do you use??

thanks mick

Small pistol primers ( CCI 550 ) are softer... Mabe slide is not going all the way to Battery? recoil spring work'n enough ? Loads hot enough to run comp?

Edited by ickus

I shoot Major 9....And I had a hellva lot of breech erosion with SRP and range brass. Switched to Win SPP and the problem went away....getting a good seal in the primer pocket is pretty important...Rifle primers just gave me grief.

Is the use of of small rifle primers because they are harder and will help prevent primer flow/pierce or to change the burn rate of the powder? It seems to me that if you are reloading (especially 9 major) and the ocasional pocket is a little loose, you would want a softer primer to expand faster and seal off the primer pocket to reduce the chances of breech face erosion.

The rifle primer is to prevent flowback into the hole. Never had a sealing issue with current primers and powder but I know it seems like soft would seal better But stuff gets a little different at 45,000 PSI I think. maybe?

I used Federal exclusive for 20 yrs since I saw a lot of CCI not go off and my unscientific poll of watching shooters I saw Winchester has dead primers, like one in 200K, that said I have started using CCI some since you hoarders are sleeping on your primer powder stashes. CCI seems to be in stock more and supposely changed their cup and 3 guns that I load for seem to work ok with them.

In my 9x23 that was then converted to 9mm major I used and extended FP and CCI small Rifle primers. If I remember correctly I tried a 15 lb. mainspring but had issues so I went back to a 17 lb. spring and everything ran fine.

Neal in AZ

Hello: I use Winchester small rifle primers. I do seat them very well and have not had breach face erosion problems. I also use a Dawson extended firing pin that I got from Shooters Connection with their firing pin spring. I have also used Winchester small pistol magnum primers as well. I think the key is well seated primers. Thanks, Eric