Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salary of USPSA President

Chris iliff

Another thread stating that Strader might not run again brought this question up. I was surprised to find out that it only pays ...........

$55,000

Does any other USPSA member think that is too much? Too little?

What say you?

How much?

Edited by Chris iliff

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it pertains to this job but I can't use "only" and "$55k" in the same sentence when it comes to income.

For the right person I think $55k would be acceptable. I'm sure he gets free rides to everything from Area matches to the world shoots? Then Shot show, NRA show, etc... I think the right person would thrive in the position for the money involved.

I mean, we have not ever struggled to find a president have we?

Really, too high OR too low. I think it is about right to be frank about it. I don't know if there are any incentives, like double the USPSA membership get a bonus...but if not, maybe there should be.

What, if any, medical is included?

Bonus? Other benefits?

His total compensation could be 50% higher for all we know. It might be in the USPS bylaws, I have not looked yet.

Does/has the salary increase each year to adjust for inflation?

As Sarge pointed out, I shouldn't have used "only" in my wording. It kinda poisons the well, so to speak, and $55,000 is a lot of money.

I did, however, ask for opinions on what the pay should be. Remember, I'm talking about a "position" not a person. With that in mind, I think the position should pay between..........

$80,000 & $100,000.

Edited by Chris iliff

As Sarge pointed out, I shouldn't have used "only" in my wording. It kinda poisons the well, so to speak, and $55,000 is a lot of money.

I did, however, ask for opinions on what the pay should be. Remember, I'm talking about a "position" not a person. With that in mind, I think the position should pay between..........

$80,000 & $100,000.

So, for 100K, you are asked to run 4 national championships, attend some meetings, get sponsors, go to trade shows. Hmm, I run 4 majors and do all that other stuff...for expenses only...seems like a pretty good gig for that amount of coin, especially when you are knocking down more working a regular job...

I think the point was that if Phil doesn't want to run for another term because he can't do both that and his regular job perhaps we should be looking to pay someone enough money that they would not need a second job.

IIRC, Voigt did not have a "regular" second job. My memory is that his other work was flexible so as to not conflict.

There is no way I could do my current job & be president of the USPSA. My employer would not be so understanding as to my need for so much time off.

I think the point was that if Phil doesn't want to run for another term because he can't do both that and his regular job perhaps we should be looking to pay someone enough money that they would not need a second job.

IIRC, Voigt did not have a "regular" second job. My memory is that his other work was flexible so as to not conflict.

There is no way I could do my current job & be president of the USPSA. My employer would not be so understanding as to my need for so much time off.

Yep, kinda wish I'd made that a little more clear. There is no way I could work my job and do the President's job also.

It would be nice to have another choice of "about right". I'm sure his salary is closely attached to the income of the organization. Sorry if I offend anybody, but this isn't NASCAR, Indycar, or the NBA,NFL,etc...

The majority, if not all, participants are amature, generally no big prize monies to be made. If travel and expences are covered, as I suspect they would be, then $55k seems fair.

Anybody know what kind of staff this president is leading/managing? I assume "Front Sight" has its own management structure, independent of the president. Is the job, then, basically event management and some organizational stuff for the membership structure?

USPSA isn't out there doing advocacy like USCCA or NSSF. They aren't really pushing practical pistol-ship around the US in the extended media. Perhaps with a more appropriately-paid president, the organization could start to expect more of a charismatic figurehead that is advocating more strongly for the sport.

The job description is a little vague, there could be a world of work involved that may not be immediately obvious. If the President is getting flooded with constant e-mails and phone calls then this can certainly increase the workload considerably. According to the last BOD meeting agenda there was supposed to be a discussion about responsibilities/by-laws so perhaps that is part of the issue.

Without more details on what the President does for USPSA on a day-by-day basis I'm not sure that it is possible to determine if the salary is low/high.

It obviously depends on the cost of living in your area. In the Northeast $55k isn't going to go very far if you have a family to support (modest mortgage/taxes or rent is going to be close to $2k/month) but in the midwest it's an entirely different ball game.

Edited to say, knowing what goes into directing just one major match, I have a hard time believing someone could direct the entire organization and hold down a full time job. The membership deserves a full time director.

Edited by blind bat

The way I see it, if the pay is too little, the person in the position gets burned by all the work. If the pay is too high, then the position becomes more about the pay and not about what the person can bring to the sport. How many people would we have running for USPSA Prez if the pay was $100k a year or higher? How many people would be vying for the position for a gravy train? It's a double edged sword...too little and no one wants it, too much and everybody wants it (for the wrong reasons).

Full time or part time makes a lot of difference. If working another full time job, 55k is one hell of a " side gig"

That said I don't know Mr. Strader and I have no idea what kind of crap he endures or hours he puts in.

I hope the pay is just right....

I talked to Phil at the production. nats this year and he said he travels a lot for USPSA to shows and USPSA meetings. And he also works full time for Remington which he travels all over the states with them. And remember he has a family. So no the base pay would suck for traveling and being away from family. And in Oklahoma 55k is good pay for working a 40 hour week and going home at night to see your family.

Thanks for the intel Fatboy, that certainly paints a different picture. If this is true, does that change anyone's vote?

I think most people over rate money as a motivator; if the current president wants out, I'd bet doubling the pay wouldn't make a difference. If you're not seeing your family as much as you want no amount of money will change that. There was a hotshot young employee at my company who left ten years ago for more pay as a regional supervisor in a big company; eight years later he had a wife and kids he never saw and begged to come home to his old job. For a young, single guy travel can be exciting, but for family men it plain sucks regardless of the pay.

Edited by kneelingatlas