Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salary of USPSA President

Chris iliff

Anybody know what kind of staff this president is leading/managing? ...

None. The staff is in WA, and is led by Executive Director Kim Williams. Used to be Dave Thomas. THAT is a by-god a full-time position, and pays significantly more.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people are confusing the role of the president with that of the executive director and the other full-time employees we have on staff. While there are significant responsibilities that are required of the president, and there are periods of time that are highly demanding, it is nowhere near a full-time job over the course of the year. It would require the other employment to be flexible enough to accommodate those busy periods.

A couple elections ago we had a candidate who was a retired state trooper who promised to commit himself 100% to the role of USPSA president and not engage in any other outside employment. Despite having a long and distinguished track record of volunteer service to USPSA, including being a former BOD member, that candidate lost to an incumbent who was known for being pretty hands-off about the whole thing.

The right candidate is the person who is capable of efficiently mixing the USPSA president gig with his flexible outside employment or self-employment, and/or someone who is financially secure and is not especially concerned about the money. Based on the current duties of the president, I don't see any reason to raise the salary.

I haven't noticed any politics...plus, nobody's been criticizing USPSA in any way. I've read praise for Director Williams and even for the outgoing president. We're just talking about a "proper" salary level for his particular job which is about to open.

I was leaning toward "too low" until some recent posts. If a future president wanted to take the job more toward advocate and more actively promote this particular brand of shooting sports, perhaps an increase would be in order. I'm now thinking "just about right."

Someone mentioned the president does a fair amount of travel. Is that out of his own poket or covered by USPSA? If covered, given what I've heard I think the current salary is bout right ...too bad I'm not qualified as I could certainly make the time demands work with my current situation .... :)

If its not a full-time job, then I think its fine - provided it does not require incurring a significant number of uncovered expenses.

Between retirees, and men who control their own schedule, I think we shouldn't have a salary issue in filling the job.

But, really, w.o. a concept of the work-load, I don't see how anyone could offer a meaningful opinion.

I started this thread knowing that sooner or later the particulars of the job would be exposed. I think this is good. I haven't read anything that changes my opinion so far. I think the salary is too low and I even gave the range that I thought was acceptable, $80,000-$100,000.

Just remember, this is not a political discussion, nor a discussion about current or previous presidents. This is a discussion about a SALARY position and the duties that position entails. It is WE, as members that decide what we want our President to be paid and what his duties should be. Maybe not directly, but indirectly by voting, we all influence the outcome.

Edited to add: I ain't referring to voting in this poll when I say voting. I'm talking about voting for elected officials within USPSA.

Edited by Chris iliff

How many hours per year are devoted to the position in question? To break it down that way would be better than just looking at the base salary. If the "part time" position required an average of 15 dedicated hours per week, for 52 weeks, the hourly wage works out to be $73.33/hr. Not bad for the average consultant. Not lawyer money but not labor money either.

I would contend that we want a President to do certain things. Accomplish certain things. The Executive Director runs the organization on a process basis. The Pres need to guide it. Steer it. Lead it.

We are paying him not for the amount of time spent but for the outcome. I don't care if they need 60 hrs a week to get them done. And if they only need 8, that's fine too.

Phil has stated "USPSA deserves a President who can be there ALL the time, and my family has suffered due to my attempts to work two full-time jobs."

So, for all of you who think it is a part time gig, the man with the experience in the position seems to think otherwise.

Agreed, if the current holder of the position states it is a full-time job then it probably is, in which case the salary should reflect that. And I think that the holder of that position should be selected by the BOD in the same manner as the Executive Director. Those that want to apply for the position can be vetted and interviewed.

Edited by BritinUSA

The problem with making the position a true Full-Time Position with an appropriate salary is the inherent instability of the job. It would mean giving up a regular Full Time job for an unknown period of time, with no guarantees.

The problem with making the position a true Full-Time Position with an appropriate salary is the inherent instability of the job. It would mean giving up a regular Full Time job for an unknown period of time, with no guarantees.

I think that this would be a good way to ensure that the applicant is committed to the sport.

So as members of this organization what we know and don't know is pretty amazing at times....well of course that is until you want to learn something, or look for it

like on the www.uspsa.org website all this is laid out in the bylaws

Here is the link and some other information cut and pasted from it.

it is a good read

http://www.uspsa.org/bylaws_2012_02.pdf

ARTICLE 6 ELECTION OF PRESIDENT AND BOARD OF
DIRECTORS:
6.1 The President:
The President shall:
i.) be elected by vote of the individual membership, one vote per member,
ii.) be elected for a term of four years,
iii.) take office on January first following the year of his election,
iv.) serve until his successor is elected and takes office,
v.) be a resident of the United States Region, and
vi.) be Life Member to hold office.
In the event the President vacates his office, the Vice President shall serve as interim President. If the
remainder of the vacating President’s term of office is greater than 24 months, a special election shall be
held to fill the office for the remainder of the term. The special election will follow the policies and
procedures set forth in Article 6.5, except that the dates specified in Article 6.5, and if necessary Article
6.7, shall be adjusted to provide for a timely special election.
6.4 Nominations for President and Area Directors:
All incumbents shall be automatically nominated unless they decline to be nominated. Others wishing to
be candidates may submit nominating petitions to the national office no later than the first business day of
June in the year of the election. The nominating petitions shall contain the signatures of fifty current
individual members and their membership number. In the case of a candidate for Area Director,
signatures from members residing outside of the Area shall be considered invalid. Candidates shall
receive such support and coverage from the national office as may be specified in current USPSA policy.
Candidates for election to the office of President must hold a current USPSA membership and have been
a member for a continuous and uninterrupted minimum period of four years immediately preceding the
first day of the term of office. Candidates for election to the offices of Area Director must hold a current
USPSA membership and have been a member for a continuous and uninterrupted minimum period of two
years immediately proceeding the first day of the term of office.
On February 1st of each election year, the Board of Directors shall appoint a nominating committee which
i.) may at its discretion, or by direction of the Board, nominate a candidate for any scheduled
election no later than June 1st, or
ii.) in the event that nominating petitions for any scheduled election have not been filed by April
1st of the election year, shall nominate a candidate for any such affected scheduled election no
later than June 1st
All such committee nominated candidates shall be presented to the Board for ratification.
ARTICLE 7 CORPORATE OFFICERS AND DUTIES THEREOF:
7.1 Officers:
All officers must be Life Members to hold office.
There shall be the following officers of the corporation:
i.) one President,
ii.) one Vice President,
iii.) one Corporate Secretary
iv.) one Executive Director,
7.2 The President:
The President shall be the chief executive officer of the corporation and shall be primarily responsible for
the implementation of the policies of the Board of Directors. In addition to the other provisions of these
bylaws, the President shall
i.) have authority over the general management and operations of the corporation, subject only to
the ultimate authority of the Board of Directors and these bylaws,
ii.) preside at all corporate meetings and shall cast a vote in all roll call votes,
iii.) appoint the Vice President and Secretary of the corporation, all such appointments subject to
ratification by the Board of Directors,
iv.) assign to all officers such duties and powers consistent with these bylaws to enable the
President to carry out his responsibilities and obligations,
v.) travel to the national office frequently enough to evaluate the performance of the Executive
Director and report his assessment of the Executive Director, along with salary
recommendations, to the Board of Directors at least annually,
vi.) serve as, or designate, the Match Director of, and have full and final authority concerning the
United States National Championships,
vii.) represent the position of USPSA as determined by the Board, including following Board
direction at all General Assembly meetings of the International Practical Shooting
Confederation (IPSC) and serve as the IPSC United States Regional Director,
viii.) serve as a Director and, except as otherwise provided in these bylaws, shall be an ex-officio
member of all committees of the Board of Directors, and
ix.) perform all duties incident to the office of the President and such other duties as from time to
time may be assigned by the Board of Directors or these bylaws.
The President may sign and execute in the name of the corporation deeds, mortgages, bonds, checks,
powers of attorney, contracts and/or other instruments, except as otherwise provided by the Board of
Directors and by the Articles of Incorporation and these bylaws.
The President may, with approval of the Board of Directors, establish and maintain an office separate
from the national office convenient to the discharge of his duties. All expenses of this office shall be
included in the annual budget submitted to the Board of Directors for approval.
7.3 Vice President:
The Vice President shall perform all duties incident to the office of Vice President and shall have such
powers and shall perform such duties as shall be assigned to him by the President. The Vice-President
shall, in the absence of the President, serve as Board meeting Chairperson until relieved of that duty by
majority vote of the Board of Directors or as otherwise provided for by these bylaws.
The President shall appoint the Vice President from among the currently elected Area Directors or
DNROI for a one-year term, beginning each January. The office of Vice President shall have no vote.
7.4 Secretary:
The Secretary shall certify and keep at the national office these bylaws of the corporation, as amended
from time to time, and a book of minutes of all Board of Director's meetings with the time and place of
holding, whether regular or special, how authorized, the notices thereof given and the names of those
present at the meetings and all other corporate records required by law.
The Secretary shall see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of these bylaws or
as required by law. In general, the Secretary shall perform all duties incident to the office of Secretary
and perform such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the by the President or the Board
of Directors.
7.5 Executive Director:
The Executive Director shall be the chief operating officer of the corporation and shall have general and
active supervision over the property, business, day-to-day operations and affairs of the corporation, and
oversee production of the corporate newsletter at the national office.
The Executive Director shall be knowledgeable of practical shooting, shall be selected by the Board of
Directors and may be removed at any time, with or without cause, only by the Board of Directors.
In addition to the other provisions of these bylaws, the Executive Director shall
i.) supervise, hire and train adequate personnel, and manage the employees of the corporation at
the national office in their day to day duties, maintain appropriate personnel records, establish
pay levels, evaluate performance, and generally perform all tasks necessary to maintain
adequate service levels,
ii.) deposit into a depository approved by the Board of Directors all funds from whatever source
and maintain all corporate financial records according to generally accepted accounting
principals,
iii.) keep the President advised at all times of all matters affecting the corporation and of all actions
taken by the Executive Director on its behalf,
iv.) have the power to disburse funds of the corporation for normal operating expenses consistent
with the approved budget,
v.) distribute copies of the audited or reviewed financial statements to the members via the
corporate newsletter and web page as soon as they have been approved by the Board of
Directors,
vi.) attend and participate in Board meetings, but does so without vote,
vii.) prepare quarterly reports on the status of expenditures relative to the approved budget,
memberships, affiliated clubs, classification matches and other such data as may be specified
by the President or the Board of Directors,
viii.) work as the editor of the corporate newsletter with overall responsibility for content, layout, and
production,
ix.) in general, exercise such duties and responsibilities as customarily pertain to the office of chief
administrative officer, and
x.) perform such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Board of Directors or
by these bylaws.
The Executive Director may sign, execute and deliver in the name of the corporation powers of attorney,
contracts, checks, leases, bonds, and other obligations and cause to be prepared all reports necessary for
governmental agencies and to pay all taxes and other charges against the corporation.
The Executive Director, in conjunction with the President, shall direct the preparation of and submit a
draft budget to the Board of Directors by February 1 of each year. The budget shall contain estimated
revenues and expenses of the corporation. It shall include, but not be limited to, allocation of funds to the
operation of the individual membership program, the national Range Officers training program, the club
membership program, the publication of the corporate newsletter, maintenance of corporate office(s), the
holding of the U.S. National Championships, and other items as necessary to attain the purposes of the
corporation. In no event shall the budget exceed anticipated revenues on an annual basis. The Board of
Directors has the responsibility of approving the budget after offering such amendments as they may
deem appropriate. That responsibility shall include adjustments during the budget period.
The Executive Director may hold the office of Secretary when so appointed by the President
Edited by JakeMartens

Nice .... Looks to me like a "full-time" job to do it any justice in which case Chris' $80-100k is more realistic. Although with a salaried

position like this the terms full-time and part time don't really mean much. Full time employes are usually considered 40 hr/wk and part timers can be 30 hrs or much less. I would suspect that the required number of hrs to be put in by the President on an annual basis comes pretty close to the 2000 hrs/yr done by most 'full-time" employees ..

It would be nice for the membership to be informed what benefits/perks are authorized for the position.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?strong-font-color-red-Announcement-of-Retirement-and-Call-for-Executive-Director-Applicants-font-strong-85

• The executive director shall be the chief operating officer of the corporation and shall have general and active supervision over the property, business, day-to-day operations and affairs of the corporation, and oversee production of the corporate newsletter at the national office.

• The executive director shall be knowledgeable of practical shooting, shall be selected by the board of directors and may be removed at any time, with or without cause, only by the board of directors.

• See Article 7.5 of the bylaws (http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-bylaws.php) for the full job description.

Aside from the job description the following conditions apply:

• The executive director is expected to work primarily from the USPSA Headquarters office which will require that he or she to maintain residence in Northwest Washington within reasonable commute distance from the office at 872 North Hill Blvd, Burlington, WA 98233.
  • To serve, the executive director must be a life member of USPSA and a member of SCSA. Note that membership requirements may be met after being hired but before beginning service.
  • Minimum starting salary is $75,000/year with performance based increases likely. The starting salary may be adjusted to a higher amount based on an applicant's qualifications.
  • Major medical insurance supplemented with a company-funded Health Savings Account (HSA).
  • Matching deposits to retirement account (SIMPLE IRA)

VP/NRIO I believe is $65,000 a year

None of that says what benifets the pres get which this discussion is on.

It would be nice for the membership to be informed what benefits/perks are authorized for the position.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?strong-font-color-red-Announcement-of-Retirement-and-Call-for-Executive-Director-Applicants-font-strong-85
  • The executive director shall be the chief operating officer of the corporation and shall have general and active supervision over the property, business, day-to-day operations and affairs of the corporation, and oversee production of the corporate newsletter at the national office.[/size]

• The executive director shall be knowledgeable of practical shooting, shall be selected by the board of directors and may be removed at any time, with or without cause, only by the board of directors.[/size]

• See Article 7.5 of the bylaws ([/size]

• http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-bylaws.php[/size]) for the full job description.[/size]

Aside from the job description the following conditions apply:[/size]

• The executive director is expected to work primarily from the USPSA Headquarters office which will require that he or she to maintain residence in Northwest Washington within reasonable commute distance from the office at 872 North Hill Blvd, Burlington, WA 98233.[/size]
  • To serve, the executive director must be a life member of USPSA and a member of SCSA. Note that membership requirements may be met after being hired but before beginning service.[/size]
  • Minimum starting salary is $75,000/year with performance based increases likely. The starting salary may be adjusted to a higher amount based on an applicant's qualifications.[/size]
  • Major medical insurance supplemented with a company-funded Health Savings Account (HSA).[/size]
  • Matching deposits to retirement account (SIMPLE IRA)[/size]
  • VP/NRIO I believe is $65,000 a year[/size]

OK, from what it looks like, its a part-time job, IMO.

At least, as written, it looks pretty much like "attend meetings of the board", and "over-see the ED."

Sounds more like a board member than anything else.

VP/NRIO I believe is $65,000 a year

Just to make something clear for any newbies to the sport: VP is not a salaried position. DNROI is a salaried position, and based on the workload should be. Coincidentally for the past 12 years or so the person serving as DNROI has also been appointed to be the VP of the organization....

From the bylaws:

The President shall appoint the Vice President from among the currently elected Area Directors or DNROI for a one-year term, beginning each January. The office of Vice President shall have no vote.

As Sarge pointed out, I shouldn't have used "only" in my wording. It kinda poisons the well, so to speak, and $55,000 is a lot of money.

I did, however, ask for opinions on what the pay should be. Remember, I'm talking about a "position" not a person. With that in mind, I think the position should pay between..........

$80,000 & $100,000.

In this day and age 55K is not a lot of money especially for a leadership position with that much responsibility. I would say 100K. It also depends on where he lives and the cost of living. But 55K here is not that much above the poverty line if you have a family.

I think that this would be a good way to ensure that the applicant is committed to the sport.

And have to be retired or some other source of income coming in.

Pat

Just remember, this is not a political discussion, nor a discussion about current or previous presidents. This is a discussion about a SALARY position and the duties that position entails. It is WE, as members that decide what we want our President to be paid and what his duties should be. Maybe not directly, but indirectly by voting, we all influence the outcome.

My two cents: It's a business within the sport, and it needs to be looked at in the metrics of a business operation: expenses, net profits, membership growth/loss, $$ accounts, etc..

I was just thinking about this last night as I read the magazine, which is the last one for my TY membership. There is nothing in the magazine for acclimating new people to exactly what in the hell goes on, how/why/when. With the exception of the reloading which I read religiously, every time. Otherwise, most issues focus on talk about things that are really only concerning folks who were AT a particular match, and then why would they REALLY have a need to read about it?

No offense to those who are pouring their time and effort into the mag. production. However, it needs to change focus or it dies as the miniscule aspect of our membership goes away. Stagnant.

If we want to inject fresh life into the sport, in order to propel it forward another 40 years, it's time to pay for some dynamic leadership if the coffers can stand it. There really is not enough information presented as to what the position requires and what the resources are for doing the job really well, but $55K does not seem like enough for the kind of leadership you need right now. IMHO...OTOH, perhaps everyone is satisfied with where IT is, and there are no new goals to be met?

The chances of an ELECTED individual being or becoming an outstanding business leader are minuscule.

The selected position of Executive Director is where USPSA must look for business leadership.

The President is our public face, our representative to IPSC, and the person responsible for national competitions. That's enough and appropriate for someone who achieved their position through a political process. It is not full time and does not require a high salary to attract suitable people.

I was just thinking about this last night as I read the magazine, which is the last one for my TY membership. There is nothing in the magazine for acclimating new people to exactly what in the hell goes on, how/why/when. With the exception of the reloading which I read religiously, every time. Otherwise, most issues focus on talk about things that are really only concerning folks who were AT a particular match, and then why would they REALLY have a need to read about it?

No offense to those who are pouring their time and effort into the mag. production. However, it needs to change focus or it dies as the miniscule aspect of our membership goes away. Stagnant.

Funny you should mention the magazine. It is afterall a pretty good drift from the topic. BUT, I agree that it is not quite where it needs to be. There is way too much emphasis on Nationals for my taste. I think it's a good idea to have articles about matches, including nationals but not every single issue. I would like to see more articles on guns and gear personally. There are enough guns in this game to cover one a month forever. And aside from answering members rules questions I would like to see an article every issue that breaks down a small portion of the rule book and explains exactly what it means, in layman's terms. The stuff from Troy and Kevin is great and more in line with what I think many would like to see.

Also, might throw an article or two a year about traveling to matches as it pertains to gun laws in those states and the ones you might pass through on the way to the match.

The chances of an ELECTED individual being or becoming an outstanding business leader are minuscule.

The selected position of Executive Director is where USPSA must look for business leadership.

The President is our public face, our representative to IPSC, and the person responsible for national competitions. That's enough and appropriate for someone who achieved their position through a political process. It is not full time and does not require a high salary to attract suitable people.

:cheers: