Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It happened,....S&W 929 8 Shot 9mm Revolver

alecmc

Smith really needs to swap barrels on these two SKU's.

In an ideal world, they'd shorten the cylinder and use a "set-back" barrel like they did on the 625-10. A 6" gun that was the same length as a 5" 625 would be awesome.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smith really needs to swap barrels on these two SKU's.

Or better yet offer the 5" on both 7 and 8 shot guns. I really like the looks of the 986 but can't think of a reason to buy it or a place to shoot it if I did except maybe SC. I'll buy the 8 shot gun since it'll work for USPSA and SC.

I really have a lot of guns for the same application but one more won't hurt.

Jerry Miculek is my hero! I no longer want this gun, I NEED it! Lol

That's some good news on the barrel too, sounds like its going to be ready to rumble right out of the gate, I may invest in an apex hammer for this one.

I thought revolver ammunition needed to be crimped to prevent setback under recoil. Am I right about this? Is this just true for larger calibers with more recoil than powder puff 9s?

You don't have set back in a Revolver it's bullet pull that you will see.

Even with that most use a Taper Crimp for the .45 even. A cannelure to roll crimp into is nice, but most of those bullets are a FP design, kind of bad for fast reloads.

It is necessary for heavy recoiling loads though, like magnums.

Looks like with the shortish cylinder, one with a .38 Super might one day be able to buy a second cylinder and have the option of shooting 9mm?

Lee

PS. Maybe it is the newness of my recently acquired .38 Super, but I really have no desire to have one of these.

Edited by RevolverJockey

Realistically, how hard is it going to be to get one of these for the average guy with no real connections to S&W or a major distributor?

Go to your LGS and order one, shouldn't be that hard.

Edited by seanc

Shouldn't we be arguing how this is all to help Jerry and now no one will ever beat him?? :-}

Can't even argue it anymore - my close personal friend Jerry M just sent pictures of the 929 he's giving me:

Official disclaimer notice for the sense-of-humorly challenged: This is a joke, the pictures are fake and I don't know JM!

post-11830-0-84215100-1388883246_thumb.j

post-11830-0-10650700-1388883253_thumb.j

Edited by bdpaz

Shouldn't we be arguing how this is all to help Jerry and now no one will ever beat him?? :-}

Can't even argue it anymore - my close personal friend Jerry M just sent pictures of the 929 he's giving me:

Official disclaimer notice for the sense-of-humorly challenged: This is a joke, the pictures are fake and I don't know JM!

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Way to go Brad ! :cheers:

Yep!

It will be that good.

Broached 1/10 twist

Not your 38special barrel some expected.

Ty, maybe I should order 2 ??? :goof:

What the heck ... I did order (2) ... just because.

I wonder if it'll shoot 9mm major ammo and would USPSA allow Major scoring instead of minor?

No...just no

I could be wrong, but this gun would be allowed for major, but reloaded after 6 right? In single stack and limited minimum caliber for major is .40, in open it is 9mm. Do we know yet what the rule revision will stipulate as minimum for major for revolver?

Lee

As it stands in the previous rule set revolver minimum was 38/9x19 for minimum cartridge and no minimum caliber for major, so you could have shot major 357 magnum. I would guess that if that portion doesn't change you could possibly run this gun with 9mm major but I'm not entirely certain that would be wise or practical. But, I've also ran across someone that shot 3" shells for 3-gun, so I guess it takes all kinds. I'd be worried about whether that gun can handle that kind of pressure, I'm still a total revolver noob so I wouldn't have a clue about that.

Edited by Akkid17