Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It happened,....S&W 929 8 Shot 9mm Revolver

alecmc

I like new toys but in reality, I don't believe this gun will not do anything more than a 627 with short Colt cases. That's why I don't understand all the excitement.

Have you ever traveled to a major match by plane and tried to get enough ammo with you? The official allowed qty is 5kg ammo according to IATA rules. Even with short colts and let's say 125grs bullets, you can never get enough with you. Buying match ammo also won't work with short colts. So if the rule change comes also for IPSC, it would be perfect for shooting 9mm match ammo. But even for local matches - no more need for reloading 38shorties. I like the idea of a competitive 9mm Revo. Shooting 6Major with 38sc and my loved 586 combined with the opportunity of shooting 8minor with the 929 sounds very good to me.

Thank God for Alaska Airlines where we can fly with 50 pounds of ammo.

Pat

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if anyone is going to chop one of theese up as soon as they get it. I know I'd think about it if that comp isn't removable. But I have to get my hands on one first.

I'd chop it off so fast it leave your head spinning...

Other than barrel length this looks perfect for the new revolver rules.

Cooper_999

Yes, I have flown to major matches but I am not familiar with the IATA rules that you cite. In the USA we can ship our ammo to a receiver in the location of a match making the purchase of a $1300 gun as a convenience to match travel a non issue. What works for you does not work for me.

Is Heidelberg anywhere near Schomberg. That is where my grandparents were from.

I can't help but once again to put my 2 cents in.

Seems like JM got USPSA to go 8 round minor which, in my opinion, will be the end of major revolver shooters. This coming Nationals will tell the true story. After all, Sevigney almost beat Leatham in Single Stack when chrono made him score minor AFTER shooting the match with only 8 rounds not 10.

Anyway, it now seems like JM convinced S&W to make him a gun to compete with. Complete with a TI cylinder which we can't get from Smith to keep our 625's running.

I like new toys but in reality, I don't believe this gun will not do anything more than a 627 with short Colt cases. That's why I don't understand all the excitement.

I wish I could get Smith to make me some TI cylinders, that I could get excited about. They don't even have to put my name on them or give me a royalty in sales.

I'm sure Jerry Miculek's opinion carries a lot of weight but I didn't know he was single handily responsible for all this. I need to remember to thank him. God bless Jerry Miculek. :)

Toothguy

Do you really believe that USPSa made the change just because they thought it was a swell idea?

There is a driving force behind every change. Who other than JM would support a following to cause a trial of revo minor in USPSA and the subsequent intro of a minor 8 shot revo by S&W?

Certainly not me nor, I suspect, you!

JM has a large following but he is in it for himself and what will keep him on top.

Time for me to bow out and reload before this turns ugly.

Toothguy

Do you really believe that USPSa made the change just because they thought it was a swell idea?

There is a driving force behind every change. Who other than JM would support a following to cause a trial of revo minor in USPSA and the subsequent intro of a minor 8 shot revo by S&W?

JM has a large following but he is in it for himself and what will keep him on top.

Well, looks like you have exposed the truth at last. So you won't be surprised to hear that none of the 929s will be available for sale as Jerry is giving them all away to those of us who claimed to be in favor of 8 shot minor in order to help him out. :cheers:

Edited by bdpaz

Toothguy

So you know this as fact? That jerry pushed USPSA to allow 8 round minor guns in revolver just so he could stay on top? Why just because smith made a OPEN revolver with his name on it in 9mm? Sure Jerry may want it but he wasn't the only one that did.

Toothguy

Respectfully I do think that the decision makers in charge did make the decision because they believe it was the best thing to try to grow the revolver division. I think that Jerry Miculek is responsible for much of the popularity that has keep the division alive so far. I think it's really smart of Smith and Wesson to make a product that will be in high demand.

Edited by toothguy

I can't help but once again to put my 2 cents in.

Seems like JM got USPSA to go 8 round minor which, in my opinion, will be the end of major revolver shooters.

JM had very little to do with the rule change. He was in favor of it, but he was not a driving force.

I can't see that S&W was swayed one way or the other by USPSA's recent rule change. Suppose it had been voted down? Do you think S&W would have scrapped the project? I doubt it. They're releasing firearms to make money not to make JM happy even though JM is my hero and all. :) I would love to have one of these with a red dot on top for shooting steel challenge but I'm sure it's going to take me a long while to save enough pennies to buy one.

I love internet conspiracies.....LOL

Trust me :goof: .....after the .356 TSW crap in the 90s Smith could give a rats ass what USPSA thinks or wants (perceived).

The Performance center sells a lot of their wares to Europe and the third world areas with lots of Cash. Most of the guns made are spec'd out by distributors that can pre-sell them. I would imagine the 9mm gun has been in the drawer for years, and now for whatever reason they had an opening in the schedule and (thankfully) it is now when they can manufacture the Ti cylinders.

I just hope they make enough for the initial stampede.........It could be awhile to get one after the initial batch sells out.....

DougC

I had this conversation with Jerry at a Bianchi Cup a couple of years ago. I told him that a lot of people wanted an 8 shot 9mm revo. He already knew that and had talked to Smith about making one several times. He said that they didn't listen to Jim Clark years ago and didn't listen to him too much now. I think it has been the collective wishing of many people over several years that got them to do it.

I hit up Smith & Wesson every year at SHOT to make this. You're welcome. Actually the response I got every year was they would make them if they could presell "x" amount. I doubt Jerry guaranteed whatever that amount was.

As for Jerry driving the BOD to do anything that's kind of funny. Jerry is good at a great many things but herding cats isn't one of them.

Following this thread only makes me want one even more, I was initially going to get a second 8 shot and convert my 327 to a 9mm gun and get a new barrel for it, but it looks like s&w went ahead and cut me off at the pass for that plan. Now I just need to find a way to ferret one out before they are all locked in other people safes and I have to pay ultra-premium just to get a second hand one.

What are the benefits of running a Ti cylinder? Lighter weight equals slightly light trigger pull? Would a Ti cylinder really make that much difference?

Titanium cylinders won't develop peening at the stop notches. That's the only real advantage.

What are the benefits of running a Ti cylinder? Lighter weight equals slightly light trigger pull? Would a Ti cylinder really make that much difference?

Titanium cylinders won't develop peening at the stop notches. That's the only real advantage.

and lightens the gun up weight wise

Which is not especially advantageous.

Would it be more advantageous in a gun shooting minor? Seems like weight might be helpful in .45. Does it really matter in a 9mm?

Would it be more advantageous in a gun shooting minor? Seems like weight might be helpful in .45. Does it really matter in a 9mm?

I personally like the lighter weight guns for light loads, I have ti cylinders in my scandium 327s and they make a big difference in weight reduction.

If that's a 9mm, why is the cylinder so loonnnnggggg? :ph34r:

Probably so they dont have to change molds ?