Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a good .45 for IDPA?

neckbone

How much do you want to spend?

saying that you want a 1911 is like saying I would like a car to drive and needs to have 4 wheels

You have choices from bare bones to full blown custom built guns

Many of the top manufacturers are going to have something between $700-$1000 that will work

Springfield Armory

Para

STI

Ruger

Smith & Wesson

Sig

Kimber

It's hard to not want to get a 1911 then hotrod it out.

If you're not wanting to spend north of 1k, maybe give thought to one of the polymers. An M&P or XDm would permit you to classify CDP, ESP and SSP all in one shot.

With a plastic fantastic, you could down load to 125pf and shoot ssp/esp if you'd like.

Are you a gamer or are you interested in using a gun you'd actually carry? For example, if you were going to go with Glock, a 21 is perhaps not the best .45 for carry, but a G30 or G30S might be perfect. And both would be great for IDPA!

Same concept is true for 1911's. A 5" Government is best for the game of IDPA, but not necessarily the best carry pistol in that platform.

Just wondering...

Edited by CHLChris

I have a similar issue... I would like to purchase another 45acp next year. I am a Glock and M&P guy, but I do not like the Glock 21 because I have small hands. So I am trying to decide whether to buy a 1911 or M&P 45. You can get a M&P 45 for around $500 on sale and a good 1911 for around $1100. By the time you trick them out, trigger work. purchase magazines, holsters, mag pouches, etc... You can plan to spend an additional $300-400. I have a friend who has both and I can't decide, so until I decide, I'm going to continue to shoot his... ;)

I heard that that was totally user error and that the guy was trying to make all sorts of excuses -- blaming the gun, the after-market parts, etc. -- instead of just admitting how he screwed around with and messed up the safeties.

I did hear he's a really nice guy and was just too embarrassed to admit how he had goofed up, so, nothing against the guy.

I spent the entire year shooting an M&P 45 with APEX FSS & Trigger....Very hard to beat that combination and at the price its your best bang for the buck.

+1 for the M&P45! It's a solid, VERY accurate gun! Great choice for CDP.

Good choice but expect to spend a little on it. Have a Trojan in 9mm fun little pistol. I went with an Ed Brown extender mag release and mag well and Dawson .100 wide front sight. Once everything was fitted and trigger work complete might think about hard chrome finish as the stock finish will wear quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

I like 1911's and have shot a Sig 220 match at plenty of matches but for the "game" of IDPA today I think your better off with a fullsize M&P or Glock (no real opinion on XD's). Less expensive to buy and gear up, little mods needed and no more capacity handicap (with 7rd mags) or having to barney a round (with 8rd mags) to be at division capacity of 8+1. Just so much simpler and more fun to shoot with a draw and shoot gun. No grip safeties, safeties or hammers to deal with. It makes CDP more like shooting SSP and of course you could also use the gun to shoot SSP or ESP.

I like 1911's and have shot a Sig 220 match at plenty of matches but for the "game" of IDPA today I think your better off with a fullsize M&P or Glock (no real opinion on XD's). Less expensive to buy and gear up, little mods needed and no more capacity handicap (with 7rd mags) or having to barney a round (with 8rd mags) to be at division capacity of 8+1. Just so much simpler and more fun to shoot with a draw and shoot gun. No grip safeties, safeties or hammers to deal with. It makes CDP more like shooting SSP and of course you could also use the gun to shoot SSP or ESP.

This!