Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First gun you competed with

CowToes

As a newbie, I am interested in pictures of the guns you all took to your first ever match. I will be using equipment I already own and taking a Beretta 96FS Inox to my first USPSA match this weekend(I would post a pic myself by the rules of the forum preclude me from doing so). I think pictures of what you used your first go around would help newbies see that there really is a low bar to entry, you don't have to go by a bunch of expensive gear to start out.

One day I may be blessed with the right to post a picture and I will show you mine, but for now why don't you show me yours?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first entered competition with a Springfield 1911 in 9mm, scored minor in Standard Division (the IPSC equivalent of Limited). At the time there was no Classic/Singlestack division. I had 9 rounds per mag, compared to the 20 rounds of the doublestack competitors. But it was fun, and a learning experience.

post-8720-0-47463900-1380806746_thumb.jp

Walter p99 with three 10 round mags and my buddy filling the ones I drop....I wasn't very accurate lol

Yeah I'm going to have to count my mags before this weekend, I may need to pick up a couple extra so I'm not rushing to load them between stages everytime. Although I might just use a couple 92 mags I have and hope they dont cause feed problems.

Back in 1979, I used a Colt 45acp single stack. Most of us back then cast our own bullets,

200 gr H&G 68 semi wadcutter bullet with WW 231 powder and an 18 1/2# recoil spring.

Some how we all survived; only God knows what our Lead Level's were back then.

I started with an M&P Pro, then went to a Glock 34 because it actually worked like a gun should. Now I shoot Open.

You will be fine with your Beretta. Just make sure to take a quick look at the rule book regarding DA/SA guns. Also, which mags do you have for it? looks like stock is only 11 rounders! That is pretty low for a modern .40. It looks like you can get aftermarket 15 rounders which would reduce your mag changes considerably. Either way, you will be fine with 3 or 4 mags.

So, you are shooting Oxford? Hope to see you there!!

Everybody probably knows what a plain-jane Glock 17 looks like...

I think the OP said "gun". ;)

Yeah I like metal pistols as well. The added weight really helps me out. I have considered shooting my 92fs Compact since it is the new one with the rail which adds some weight to the front end.

My trusty 9mm Trojan.

I was pretty much a pistol virgin, but a couple of years ago I decided I wanted a 1911. After some interweb cruising, I ordered this Trojan from Dawson.

I showed up at the local club for their Man vs Man steel match with my new Trojan, a bladetech holster (I had done a little homework), and 3 Dawson mags.

Turns out, I took home the Win that day, and Ive been hooked ever since.

523674_10100361169231026_600412566_n.jpg

I started with an M&P Pro, then went to a Glock 34 because it actually worked like a gun should. Now I shoot Open.

You will be fine with your Beretta. Just make sure to take a quick look at the rule book regarding DA/SA guns. Also, which mags do you have for it? looks like stock is only 11 rounders! That is pretty low for a modern .40. It looks like you can get aftermarket 15 rounders which would reduce your mag changes considerably. Either way, you will be fine with 3 or 4 mags.

So, you are shooting Oxford? Hope to see you there!!

I have 3 13 round Mecgar mags, not really enough for this so I might have to go with 10 rounds in them so I can supplement with my 10 round mags. I still have to figure that out. I wasn't sure about the legality of the 15 rounders since the extra 2 rounds are achieved by a special baseplate that extends the mags quite a bit. Bill Goodmans Gun show is in sharonville this weekend so I have an opportunity to try and pick up anything I need on Saturday. I only have three mag pouches at the moment, a double and a single both from blackhawk. I still have a lot of learning to do when it comes to the rule book. I wasn't sure whether I would like IDPA or USPSA better so I was reading about both and it was really just more consufing than anything. I am going to have to focus on one for a bit untill I understand all those rules before I try to switch back and forth. I am at work and wasn't able to get to the uspsa website yesterday to download the rule book, but its working today so I will try to find the parts about DA/SA pistol like you said.

No pictures but it was a 4" S&W 686 revolver with HK speedloaders. Started carrying and shooting a Glock 23 20 years ago so we are talking a couple of decades. :)

Glad to see that someone besides me will admit to starting into this sport with a revolver. Mine was a Colt Python with 6" barrel finished in Colt Royal Guard. Not long before I switched to a Colt Gold Cup. Couldn't keep it running so went back to the Python. Soon learned how to reload shells that would actually run and back to semi's.

Bill

Sig Sauer P228 with 2 13 round mags and 2 P226 15 round mags with borrowed mag pouches too. Went to a local match on the advice of Patrick Sweeney (Thank you Sir!!!!) and my bank account has never recovered. I swore that the swinger was impossible to hit at that speed and distance and that a single drop turner was against the Geneva Convention's Fairness of Rules of War. In other words-instantly hooked. Went home and started to plan on getting a limited gun. The hard part was finding high cap mags during the ban so that is why my first Limited Gun was a Para Signature series P14 in .45acp since we could get new tubes from Canada at the time. Shooting factory ammo typically at a 195 power factor with no mag well, fiber optic, trigger job and just a couple of dawson base pads for the magazines. Made it to B class with that set up. Then I bought a previously loved SV, met Taran Butler and Brandon Strayer and the madness took over................talk about a complete 180 in equipment/gear.

That is why I take the time/effort to talk to most new shooters I meet when I see the gear like mine when I started (lots of hand me down holsters, mag pouchs, belts ect...). A little helping hand or advice at the beginning can go a long way to helping their addiction just like it did to mine. Plus it gives me someone else to blame for making sure I am always poor as I want the new next best thing....(All Taran's fault at first....now it is Brandon Strayers........).

If you have 3 13 round mags and some tens you will be good to go with no need to buy anything. You will shoot Limited Division so you can load whatever mags you have to capacity. Before you spend money at a gun show check out online vendors. Budsgunshop.com has Beretta mags for $23 and Mecgar for $20. It sounds like you don't need any mags for Sunday. Just be accurate! :)

Borrowed Springfield XD 45 with a stupid hairtrigger and 16 round mags in Limited. Had a mag well on it and FO sights but it was expensive as hell to shoot and I'm surprised I never AD'd with that gun given that the trigger was set to about 1 1/2 pounds. Bought my Edge eight months later and never looked back.

If you have 3 13 round mags and some tens you will be good to go with no need to buy anything. You will shoot Limited Division so you can load whatever mags you have to capacity. Before you spend money at a gun show check out online vendors. Budsgunshop.com has Beretta mags for $23 and Mecgar for $20. It sounds like you don't need any mags for Sunday. Just be accurate! :)

Are the 15 round Mags legal?

Why would I shoot limited vs Production? Is it just the magazine issue?

Although I would lose the benefit of shooting .40 if i went production

Edited by CowToes

You'd shoot Limited or Limited-10 because you get the benefit of shooting Major (40).

You'd shoot Limited instead of Limited-10 so you could load more than 10(+1) rounds.

Starting out, more ammo in the gun is a good idea. Don't worry/think about being competitive. Be safe, have fun, and shoot the targets.

You'd shoot Limited or Limited-10 because you get the benefit of shooting Major (40).

You'd shoot Limited instead of Limited-10 so you could load more than 10(+1) rounds.

Starting out, more ammo in the gun is a good idea. Don't worry/think about being competitive. Be safe, have fun, and shoot the targets.

I think that's the biggest barrier to entry for new shooters. I stayed out of the game trying to collect gear for over a year so I could be "more competitive" before I started. I finally had a co-worker push me into actually going to a match with what I had. I'm still not competitive, but I'm having a blast. I wish I would have started when I got interested, which was over a year before I fired my first shot in competition. I wish everyone could have that same advice right when they get interested.

Sorry, stock picture from online source. I started with a S&W 39-2 with the magazines modified to hold 9 rounds.

post-5860-0-36741800-1380815949_thumb.jp

Edited to add: Sold this one and got a Colt 1911 after a year.

Edited by GuildSF4