Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dogtired, on 29 Dec 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Of course this argument has been never ending, but is not the pursuit of 3-gun greatness a "sporting purpose"?

For any ATFE agents monitoring this thread, I screwed a Nordic Components mag extension on to my Beretta 1301 so I can shoot in sporting competitions. Please PM for my address if you wish to arrest me. Thanks.

Practical shooting (3-gun, USPSA, IDPA, etc.) competitions are not considered a "sporting purpose" by ATF.

I will take my chances then.

I know this gun's still relatively new, but some of you are running a lot more rounds than I through my 3 gun shotgun.

Do we have any out there in the thousands of rounds for some start of an idea on longer term durability/reliability?

I've got a few friends asking for advice now and then, and while I'm probably not looking to replace my JM Pro any time soon (some may not like it, but mine's been close to flawless to date), the 1301 is really looking like the bang for buck one to beat at the moment.. ?

I just crossed the 1000 round mark..... not one single issue yet ...used mostly 7.5 Fed, Fiocchi & Winchester slugs and a few buck shot.... I have taken in apart to clean it once ....

I know this gun's still relatively new, but some of you are running a lot more rounds than I through my 3 gun shotgun.

Do we have any out there in the thousands of rounds for some start of an idea on longer term durability/reliability?

I've got a few friends asking for advice now and then, and while I'm probably not looking to replace my JM Pro any time soon (some may not like it, but mine's been close to flawless to date), the 1301 is really looking like the bang for buck one to beat at the moment.. ?

I just crossed the 1000 round mark..... not one single issue yet ...used mostly 7.5 Fed, Fiocchi & Winchester slugs and a few buck shot.... I have taken in apart to clean it once ....

Thanks for this, and to the other poster answering. 1k and only one cleaning is pretty impressive. :)

Not sure if I hope someone shows up with one locally, or hope they don't. :)

I'm the other poster...I actually had some slight issues with mine this weekend. it was ejecting but not loading the next round.

i put some CLP on the bolt (the bolt rotates inside the bolt carrier, similar to an AR-15) and that cleared it right up. It has 400 rounds through it now :)

So...my recommendation would be to lube the bolt with super thin oil every 100 rounds?

I have not cleaned mine yet.

Thanks for this, and to the other poster answering. 1k and only one cleaning is pretty impressive. :)

Edited by factionfx

I'm the other poster...I actually had some slight issues with mine this weekend. it was ejecting but not loading the next round.

i put some CLP on the bolt (the bolt rotates inside the bolt carrier, similar to an AR-15) and that cleared it right up. It has 400 rounds through it now :)

So...my recommendation would be to lube the bolt with super thin oil every 100 rounds?

I have not cleaned mine yet.

I just hit 1200 today. Not a single problem. All win and fed 7 1/2 bulk pack. I know some people were having problems with the Winchester but I actually like it more, it seems to be cleaner. I strip, clean, and lube every 200 rounds. I wouldn't own any other shotgun for this purpose.

Anyone have a photo of the 21" model with a 2+ extension?

This is a +3

6a1b2e4e0a8d7a24e9b0847d571ac3d0_zpsdfbb

Not bad, anyone have a pic of a +5 or a +7 mounted with a 21" barrel? Getting ready to order my 1301 (hopefully this weekend, have the cash just need to the time to get to my local FFL so they can get me one) and debating between a +5 or a +7 with a 21" barrel.

Also is there any particular brand or choke tubes I should look for? I am new to shotguns and aside from Briley I don't know who else makes choke tubes, and if the ones I see at brownells/midway usa are any good considering some are half the price.

Thanks Pat, its not out there as far as I thought. My biggest worry was if it would get enough support since I appears there isn't enough space for a barrel clamp, and it looks like it should be fine. Now I just need to figure out if in the end I want a 10+1 or a 12+1 gun and which brand of chokes I want. Trying to avoid wasting my money, I've done far too much of that trying to gear up for 3-gun.

Thanks Pat, its not out there as far as I thought. My biggest worry was if it would get enough support since I appears there isn't enough space for a barrel clamp, and it looks like it should be fine. Now I just need to figure out if in the end I want a 10+1 or a 12+1 gun and which brand of chokes I want. Trying to avoid wasting my money, I've done far too much of that trying to gear up for 3-gun.

I'm in the process of gearing up for local 3 gun. My credit card has been on fire lately. Needless to say, I had an outstanding Christmas. The extended choke in the picture is an improved modified Carlson from Optics Planet...

Pat

Well I have figured out what chokes to get (IC, Mod and Full, unless someone more knowledgeable than I can point me in another direction) I am just not sure what maker to go with. Glad your order from Optics planet worked out for you, when I tried to order from them it didn't go so well and I'll leave it at that.

I know someone posted a good write up as to what chokes to go with, but my search foo isn't working for me today and for the life of me I can't find it.

Optima HP

Thanks Neomet, but I had that part figured out. What I am unsure of is the type of chokes I need (Improved Cylinder, Modified, etc etc etc) and which manufacturer to go with (Briley, Carlson, etc). I plan on going with extended chokes, but I am terribly ignorant as to who makes quality ones.

I don't think I could go wrong with either Briley or Carlson, but I have to think there are other choke makers out there that are also worth a look at.

I was perfectly happy with my SLP.......thanks guys.....

Can someone give me there thoughts who has owned and run the SLP for a while?

Thanks Bulldozer, I wasn't clear. I wanted to hear some detailed "1301 vs SLP" opinions. I played with a 21" Beretta today and I am impressed.