Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reseating High Primers?

dtt255

Found that I didn't push the handle all the way up on one of the cases when seating the primer. So I have a high primer.

Is there a safe way of pushing it all the way in? Or do I just need to use the bullet puller and trash the primer?

Thanks

DTT

You can do what ever you want and I assume "NO LIABILITY" for this statement!

I run ALL of my match ammo thru a lee hand primer to insure that all the primers are seated along with drop checking in the chamber (not a gauge, the ACTUAL chamber), visually check for bad rims, kinked cases or anything that I think might cause me any issue. Shoot the culls for practice.

I did not stay at a holiday inn

I have no idea what I am talking about

I did not type this

Good luck

risk vs reward! The risk 99% chance nothing will happen 1% chance you and anyone that hears about it (or sees it on youtube) will never do it again. The reward for reseating it and not disassembling it 1/2 minute maybe?

I am another one that has gone to a hand primer. It gives me positive feedback when seating and if it does end up

being high I see it immediately and can seat it properly.

A hand primer reduced my high primers by 90%. 100% if you count the fact that I can reseat a high one before

I put it on the press and load it.

risk vs reward! The risk 99% chance nothing will happen 1% chance you and anyone that hears about it (or sees it on youtube) will never do it again. The reward for reseating it and not disassembling it 1/2 minute maybe?

So at 1%, that means you can do it 99 times, right?

Kidding - why take the chance?

So at 1%, that means you can do it 99 times, right?

Kidding - why take the chance?

That's exactly what I was thinking, only do no more than 99 and never do the 100th one, what could go wrong?

I'm still trying to figure out how so many are getting so many high primers in the first place. :huh: I have had maybe two in the last three years on my 550 or 650. They are probably high for a reason so I would not try to seat them again. It's one thing to light off a primer on a press, it's a whole other thing to set off a loaded round.

After some useless precautions, I just ran them through my 1050 again.

Precaution: I put on safety glasses, double check the proper seating depth, took my time and went slow

Useless precautions: I put on hearing protection, stuck a thick piece of wood on top of the hole in the tool head (if one went off I did not want it to go through the roof), stood off to the left side of the machine and pulled the lever.

The only difference between hand priming and 1050 primer was the ability to add more pressure/strength to the seating. I just went slow.

I used to get high primers, then I moved my press to a higher position and began standing while reloading. No more high primers. I still check all my match ammo for high primers, and have a handy RCBS universal hand priming tool in my reloading box to address any that are out of spec. Have never had an issue with hand priming the ones that were high.

If I find a high primer. I push it in all the way. With a hammer.......JUST KIDDING. I put it on the press and seat it properly. But, I'm just another guy on the internet.

i have seated the primers in some loaded bullets that the primers were not quiet flush.. :surprise: ... maybe i should not...?

Good subject here. I will pull the bullet & powder and reseat the primer. I check the primer cup for small pieces or foreign objects and reseat. Its not worth it to me or my family to have a live round go off in my 550.

I will probably get flamed but oh well.

1. Clean puller
  2. Pull bullet
  3. Recover powder
  4. Attempt to finish primer seat
  5. If unsuccessful decap......slowly.
  6. Toss case in recycle pile.
  7. Reseat primer in good case.
  8. Reload bullet if jacketed.

Unless you are seating primers with a hammer snd a nail, there is no way it will go off while seating. A primer requires this special thing called impact and it needs to be concentrated in the center of the primer cup and it needs to have enough force to indent the cup and pinch the priming compound between the cup and the anvil, see. The risk is not 1%. It is .000000000001% provided you are possessed by an anti-gun demon. If you go to church the risk is .00000000000000000000001%.