Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your IDPA Wardrobe

Not-So-Mad Matt

Winter, depends on how cold and which range. Either a pair of jeans or 5.11 pants and my coat for a cover garment. Summer is 5.11 shorts, some sort of moisture wicking t-shirt with sunblocking, fishing shirts are usually pretty nice as well. Summer I just wear sneakers unless expecting mud. Indoors I just wear sneakers, outdoors non-summer I wear either sneakers or an old pair of Bates boots that I used to wear as my steel toes at work that still have decent tread. When I get my yearly pair from work, my old ones become my boots for everything else. Only reason I went with the 5.11 pants and shorts is because I had gift cards to stores that had them and the rest of the pants did not seem like they would hold up as well. If I had to buy out of my own pocket, I would just find some comfortable cargo pant and shorts, probably Duluth Trading.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Observing other shooters over the weekend where I competed, a good 75% had fishing vests for cover garment and about 50% of the crowd were wearing jeans.

I wouldn't mind wearing my jeans so much if it weren't for the wear and tear. I good chunk of the shooters I compete with are 50+ in age. Most have a tough time picking up the brass so while they tape, I shag the brass. And as can be expected, those older guys like their .45s and enjoy getting back as much of their brass as possible. That brass is damn near gold these days!

Observing other shooters over the weekend where I competed, a good 75% had fishing vests for cover garment and about 50% of the crowd were wearing jeans.

I wouldn't mind wearing my jeans so much if it weren't for the wear and tear. I good chunk of the shooters I compete with are 50+ in age. Most have a tough time picking up the brass so while they tape, I shag the brass. And as can be expected, those older guys like their .45s and enjoy getting back as much of their brass as possible. That brass is damn near gold these days!

I would paste all day to have a young whipper snapper pick up my brass for me!

Been shooting more USPSA than IDPA lately. It seems every time I show up to an IDPA shoot I end up wearing whatever "cover garment" I had on me or in the car.

This year I'm hoping to in corporate fishing/photography into all of my IDPA stage designs so that the vest makes sense in the scenario: "You stop by the ATM on the way to the lake to grab some cash for the bait shop. Start standing at the ATM with the fishing pole in your strong hand..."

Edited by blind bat

Then you can answer this question: While "carrying" outdoors for an entire afternoon, what clothes have or have not worked for you when you've needed to draw, move fast, and change magazines?

Tshirt tucked in tight with a light jacket or vest works. Just make sure the covering is semi-stiff. Hoodies does not work well. Sneakers for foot covering.

Pretty good summary above...in cold weather, the same principle applies using layers. If it's wet or cold, I wear whatever works best to stay warm and dry, and take the heavy outer layer off to shoot the stage. I like merino wool as a baselayer but underarmor works well too.

Here is my set up:

Columbia polo shirts (the ones with SPF protection)

5.11 tactical pants or taclite

5.11 vest (the cheap one, not the very expensive one, but it does have a LOT of pockets)

Merel shoes (the cross country type)

CR Speed EDC belt.

Rudy Project Rydon shooting glasses

Versace anyone? No, I wear what ever... Often BDU pants with a t-shirt left over from my K-9 USAR days. Cover shirt is often a heavy flannel, but am going to try a sport coat, and I have an old skeet vest I think will work well, very large pocket for shells. Should make dropping in a mag very easy. Shorts in the summer, and always a smile.

(Southern manors.) :)

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Underarmor type T shirt, either long or short sleeve depending on the season.

Levis 550 type jeans- a bit baggy so its easier to kneel/lie down when needed, as well as bend over to pick up the mags.

5.11 style kaki vest

I like the tighter fitting underarmor T type shirts as they don't snag mags when stuffed in my waistband. I also loosen my belt just a tad when I know I'll have to stow a mag. A shooting buddy of mine suggested both that shirt and the belt tips. He also said he'll diet a bit before a major match to assist with the mag stowing process LOL

Underarmor also makes a line of button-down type summer shirts. They wick away the sweat and seem cooler.

I'll wear a jacket over my shirt/vest when its really cold here (40ish) or just a heavy shirt. I take either off when I shoot, shiver a bit, then bundle back up.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot our weekly stages in whatever I'm wearing that day.

You know, my daily concealed or open carry clothes, as determined by where I'm at!

What a concept.

With that said, earlier in this thread somebody mentioned a guy showing up in a sport coat. I think I'll try that some night, just for grins.

Coat and tie. What I lose in "tactical time" I'll make up for with style and class!

AD

If you decide to wear a sport coat, make sure you do some dry firing first. The cut of most sport coats makes for a slow draw. A LEO friend always wears a sport coat to IDPA matches because that is his daily "uniform". You can have the lining of the sport coat altered to make the draw faster.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to wear closet he's I already have. I tend to buy stuff that fits. I hate too loose. As someone said, it snags. Reid sells trail shoes that are comfortable and have an aggressive sole. For a vest, just a very loose shirt.

Wow i feel under dresssed in my blue jeans and Harley t-shirt with my competitive dynamics vest and my safariland hat. May pick up some sort of shoe for the next regional match or just stick with the biker boots i use now.

Edited by tiger49931

• 2 weeks later...

First off I live in Florida! Where it gets pretty hot. IDPA was created with the premise of everyday carry. So wear whatever is comfortable for you. For example, I wear cargo shorts from nautica in the summer months and LA police gear operator pants in the winter. For shirts I wear Columbia omni shade polo year round for the sun protection. I wear the Wool rich vest. This is what I usually wear when I'm not working and I'm carrying my concealed weapon. (Excluding the vest of course)

Edited by stick

Pants: 511 Taclite Pro because they are more comfortable than jeans, have plenty of pockets and stretch a little. Pants instead of shorts because local matches are long and I like sun protection. Jeans work fine, but I'd rather have a dedicated pair of match britches so I don't worry about rips, stains and wear to my casual clothes.

Vest: Dickies Storm Wear, which is very similar to the cheaper 511 and North Face vests. Its comfortable, functional and I can wear it around in public. I take it off between stages when its hot.

Shirt: Normally just a form-fitting t-shirt that gathers a little at the waist. Under Armor/race shirts are OK, but are sometimes hard to keep tucked in and get stinky fast.

Belt: Wilderness reinforced. Not a necessity by any means, but I got it cheap. Its part of the costume

Edited by Kool Aid

Whatever I put on Saturday morning is what I wear to the match. In the summer, it's cargo shorts, cotton shirt with tennis shoes. I have a vest I bought at a gunshow for $30. I only wear the silly thing for IDPA.( NO PATCHES) BlackHawk or Blade Tech gear on a Bullhide belt. Most of the guys I shoot with don't feel the need to dress specifically for the game. I preffer USPSA, but IDPA is more "Old Guy" friendly. Still enjoy shooting them both, I just don't go out of my way to dress specifically for shooting.

RR

• 1 month later...

All depends on the weather. Hot weather: I've got a couple of pairs of cargo shorts that I like and a couple of light "fishing" shirts. The kind that wick away the sweat and dry faster. All stuff from Academy sports. Cool/cold weather: I've got a couple of pairs of Tru-Spec BDU pants (I've been wearing these kind of pants for 25 years) and long sleeve "fishing" shirts once again. Foot wear is usually a pair of hiking shoes. Vest is a Tru-Spec. Some kind of ball cap to keep my balding head from burning. That's what I find comfortable and easy to wear. It all gets dirty and sweaty.

I agree that you should dress accordingly with the weather. In the summer time it's usually shorts, unless I'm at a regional match I wear pants. I wear a Carhart in the colder months and a Wollrich vest I bought from IDPA in the summer time.

• 3 weeks later...

How I dress does not change for a match so can become as proficient as possible using my daily wardrobe.

Tru-Spec pants, tucked in t-shirt w/ open button down shirt as cover.

Footwear is my daily boots with ankle holster minus the BUG (gun removed upon arrival and replaced before leaving).

Whitehat IWB holster with IWB mag pouches.

If you decide to wear a sport coat, make sure you do some dry firing first. The cut of most sport coats makes for a slow draw. A LEO friend always wears a sport coat to IDPA matches because that is his daily "uniform". You can have the lining of the sport coat altered to make the draw faster.

Wouldn't that make it a competition garment only ??? LOL..

• 2 weeks later...

Vest- either the cotton or taclite 5.11 vest. i cut and sew on it to get it how i like. i've tried lots of vests, jackets, work shirts and so on and this is what i'd use unless having a custom one made.

Shirt-close fitting cotton t-shirt. occaisonally I wear a wicking style tech t-shirt. normally blue or gray. sometimes i'll wear a totally "off" t-shirt just to throw people, kinda like the nerd glasses mentioned below.

Hat-baseball cap of some sort. cammo or tan or whatever i grab.

Glasses-Oakley sun glasses if sunny, or ray bans with clear lenses if not. hipster style.

Belt-Wilderness tactical 1.5" in the stiffest version.

Pants-5.11 taclite pants. belt loops in right spot, no jump pocket and I don't overheat. regular cotton 5.11 pants if cooler out. 5.11 taclite shorts. i did see a new brand i like, kitanica but i don't have the coin right now.

Shoes-Saucony or Salomon trail running shoes if outdoors. Differing weights and aggresiveness depending on weather and terrain. high tech wicking socks as well. indoors i wear vans skate shoes as i slide less on concrete in them.

Ear pro I use whatever. Hand drying spray or gel as needed if sweaty or rainy. my range bag is also just a regular jansen school backpack. i like for people to give me the once over and mentally say, "who is this guy?" as part of a competitive mind game.

wear just enough gun/sponsor/support stuff to make them happy and then add my own style.

I prefer the 5-11 vest. The pockets are larger and easier to use for a reload with retention. I have to wear the woolrich now because it is embroidered with my sponsor information. I really like the TruSpec pants. They have pockets in the knees for internal knee pads (they are legal as long as they are internal) The blackhawk belt works great, Probably any of the riggers belts would be about the same. The buckle and the attachment point are metal and very solid. You can't beat the speedcross 3's but the inov-8's come close...

I was told at a match that stowing in the large vest pockets was not legal. Was that info wrong?