Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your IDPA Wardrobe

Not-So-Mad Matt

I've noticed quite a few conversations about what vest to wear for IDPA -- I've settled on a not-at-all-tactical North Face vest from REI -- but what else has or hasn't worked for you guys?

For instance, I tried to wear some high-tech, wicking golf shirts to shoot, and (1) they were too loose around the mid-section, and (2) they snagged on anything and everything and ended up ruined after one match. Skintight UnderArmour seems a bit... extreme, especially with nothing but a vest over it.

And what pants have worked for you guys? Any suggestions for long pants that won't boil you alive in the summer?

Belts? Shoes?

Edited by Not-So-Mad Matt

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't IDPA's wardrobe the same stuff you would wear everyday as you go about your business?

Then you can answer this question: While "carrying" outdoors for an entire afternoon, what clothes have or have not worked for you when you've needed to draw, move fast, and change magazines?

I use a woolrich vest or a 5-11 vest. I either wear Volcom scout shorts or Tru-Spec pants. I used to wear Nike dri-fit T-shirts now I wear a Jersey made by G-2 Gemini. I use a Blackhawk CQB riggers belt. For shoes I wear either Inov-8 Trail Roc's or Salomon Speedcross 3's Pretty much look like every other shooter...

20121027_111043_1_zpsec6a13cb.jpg

I use a woolrich vest or a 5-11 vest. I either wear Volcom scout shorts or Tru-Spec pants. I used to wear Nike dri-fit T-shirts now I wear a Jersey made by G-2 Gemini. I use a Blackhawk CQB riggers belt. For shoes I wear either Inov-8 Trail Roc's or Salomon Speedcross 3's Pretty much look like every other shooter...

That's a pretty thorough run-down, Paul. What do you like -- or dislike -- about each of those choices?

As a "large-framed" person I am limited in the "tactical" clothing area. For me it's cargo pants/shorts, a moisture wicking shirt (warm weather) and my Boulder Creek vest from KingSizeDirect.com and my Bullhide belt.

Everything is comfortable and conforms to the IDPA rules.

Edited by bigdawgbeav

I prefer the 5-11 vest. The pockets are larger and easier to use for a reload with retention. I have to wear the woolrich now because it is embroidered with my sponsor information. I really like the TruSpec pants. They have pockets in the knees for internal knee pads (they are legal as long as they are internal) The blackhawk belt works great, Probably any of the riggers belts would be about the same. The buckle and the attachment point are metal and very solid. You can't beat the speedcross 3's but the inov-8's come close...

I hate the fact that I have to wear a certain type of clothes to shoot a competition. i.e. a vest and a pair of pants with big pockets to stow a magazine.

For much of the year, I wear whatever jacket makes sense for the weather. Only in the summer is a vest kinda-sorta mandatory.

And stowing a mag only comes up, say, one stage per major competition or half-dozen local matches?

I hate the fact that I have to wear a certain type of clothes to shoot a competition. i.e. a vest and a pair of pants with big pockets to stow a magazine.

For much of the year, I wear whatever jacket makes sense for the weather. Only in the summer is a vest kinda-sorta mandatory.

And stowing a mag only comes up, say, one stage per major competition or half-dozen local matches?

Required stowage, yes.. but the more I shot IDPA, the more I found different places/scenarios where it was actually faster to rwr, rather than shoot until slide lock. Last year at the sanctioned match in Little Rock, I think I did 4-5 rwr's that were not required.

I wear lined Bass Pro brand carpenter kakis in the winter, tru-spec pants in the cooler but not cold months, and whatever shorts I have when it's hot.

Cabelas Safari Vest, and a tech-wear shirt.

Edited by DWFAN

My 1st shoot was with a pair of jeans and a light cloth jacket. I don't get to shoot often enough to be competitive so I shoot for the fun of it.

Recently I have upgraded to a pair of 5.11 pants to help stow mags or props. The jacket I was using would be a tad warm for summer months so I got a large moisture resistant button up shirt from Colombia. It's something that would be appropriate to wear on a day to day basis as oppose to a fishing vest.

???

Wear what you want. You don't have to wear a vest. Wear a coat. Or a open shirt. Or a long polo over your gun. A while back a shooter came to a match wearing a sportcoat as his cover garment.

Then you can answer this question: While "carrying" outdoors for an entire afternoon, what clothes have or have not worked for you when you've needed to draw, move fast, and change magazines?

Tshirt tucked in tight with a light jacket or vest works. Just make sure the covering is semi-stiff. Hoodies does not work well. Sneakers for foot covering.

As a "large-framed" person I am limited in the "tactical" clothing area. For me it's cargo pants/shorts, a moisture wicking shirt (warm weather) and my Boulder Creek vest from KingSizeDirect.com and my Bullhide belt.

I would go with the vertical stripes and darker colors to minimize the appearance of the waistline. :D

Required stowage, yes.. but the more I shot IDPA, the more I found different places/scenarios where it was actually faster to rwr, rather than shoot until slide lock. Last year at the sanctioned match in Little Rock, I think I did 4-5 rwr's that were not required.

I wear lined Bass Pro brand carpenter kakis in the winter, tru-spec pants in the cooler but not cold months, and whatever shorts I have when it's hot.

Cabelas Safari Vest, and a tech-wear shirt.

I have found that it is sometimes faster to RWR too. If your shooting CDP you find it comes up a lot more too when the MD writes stages based on CDP/Revo.

Pocket-less, stiff vest (unless its cold) and flip-flops. Nothing quite as satisfying as beating all the "tacticool" guys (most of whom do NOT wear that attire everyday) in your flip-flops. And bottoms (almost always Carhartt pants) that will accept my Wilderness belt and snug-fitting shirt to avoid tangles.

Pocket-less, stiff vest (unless its cold) and flip-flops. Nothing quite as satisfying as beating all the "tacticool" guys (most of whom do NOT wear that attire everyday) in your flip-flops. And bottoms (almost always Carhartt pants) that will accept my Wilderness belt and snug-fitting shirt to avoid tangles.

Your style is "innovative" to say the least

Major match wear:

JC Penney or Wrangler khakis.

Duluth Trading Co Longtail henley or polo shirt

New Balance 953 crosstrainers or Merrell light hikers depending on the ground.

Vest sewn by a local shooter's Grandma.

Warm weather club shoot, substitute t shirt and aloha concealment garment.

I would go with the vertical stripes and darker colors to minimize the appearance of the waistline. :D

There isn't a dark enough fabric to change the appearance of my waistline

i have 5.11 pants and shorts to wear depending on the weather, an eotach vest, and either an appropriate shirt for the weather. Im a bit different in the shoe dept, i found the Saucony Progrid Xodus shoes to work very well for IDPA in a variety of ground types.

Warm weather: regular cargo shorts, not unlike what I normally wear. Clothes worn in competition can sometimes be damaged so I tend to save some gear for normal day to day activities. Shirt: I have long tail tees that I got specifically for shooting because they stay tucked in. I also wear them "on the street".

I have a Royal Robbins vest that my wife got me years ago, a little heavy but I don't have to wear it all the time at a match. I do like the pockets.

Cold weather: BDU pants, I don't care if these get damaged.

Shirts: close fitting long sleeve, layers. Not unlike what I would normally wear. I experiment with gear I would wear on the street to see if it would work. Sometimes it doesn't..

Shoes: I draw the line at sandals, won't wear them while shooting.

If I wore a suit daily while carrying I would shoot in one to make sure I knew what to expect.