Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec worth the $

Scootertheshooter

Yes,

mine won't run well with short factory 40 rounds though.

My factory sti extractor gave me issues until I beveled the claw. Even after that there was a fragile balance of too much and too little tension

Edited by Forgetful

If your extractor works, then it isn't broke so don't "fix" it...............so NO.

However two friends of mine both with STI 9mm's, one a Steelmaster and the other an Edge. Two of the most expensive "jammatics" I have ever seen. Two Aftec's later problems solved !..............So YES.

One of them also has an STI Edge .45acp. It works flawlessly out of the box................so NO.

Edited by malagamarksman

For 9, 38 or 40, yes, absolutely, 100%, anyone who says no is capital-W Wrong. For 45, no.

My 9 works flawlessly without an Aftec.

My 38 Super works flawlessly without an Aftec.

My 40 works without an Aftec (the flaw I'm working on is not related to extraction).

... and I agree: for 45: no

-ivan-

I use them for 9, Super and 40. Not for 45. Regular extractors work fine, but they fatigue over time and have to be replaced. If you have a custom finish on the gun, you have to get the new one finished to match. I've never had an Aftec fail.

That's the thing, isn't it. Do you want to continue to check extractor tension every time you have the gun apart, replacing or retuning extractors that have gone out of tune...or, do you just want to put in an Aftec and have it run. Granted the springs on an Aftec can eventually fatigue, but they last a LOT longer than standard extractors (in my experience, anyway).

I use both, but if a standard gives me any hint of problem, it's Aftec time.

I feel that I'm being redundant, but my STI Edge didn't work reliably until I added an Aftec. Had it in for at least 8 years, never have taken it out and cleaned it or adjusted it, and it's been thousands of rounds and it's still 100% reliable. So yes...worth the money.

If you are one of the few who know how to tune a standard extractor, Aftec gets you nothing.

Aftec can, and does fail in several ways that the one piece unit can't.

It is the closest thing to drop in. That is its advantage.