Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Rule 2.2.1.5 being implemented in USPSA for 2013?

CHA-LEE

I had a shooter tell me at a recent match that he read in one of the latest Front Sight magazines that USPSA would be using the below IPSC rule to do away with short cutting the shooting area. I have listed the exact rule below from the IPSC Rule book. I looked on the USPSA website but could not find anything about adding this rule for 2013. I also couldn't find the 2013 USPSA rule book either. Does anyone know for sure if this rule will or will not be added in the 2013 USPSA Rule book?

2.2.1.5 If a COF has a passageway visibly delineated by fault lines and/or a clearly demarcated shooting

area, any competitor who takes a shortcut outside the passageway and/or shooting area will incur

one procedural penalty for each shot fired after beginning the shortcut.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies. I too scrubbed through the last couple Front Sight magazines and on the USPSA website and couldn't find anything about implementing this rule. I will have to talk to the shooter that was asking me about this to have him show me where he seen it talked about.

It wouldn't be in the minutes from the meeting but there is a proposal for a new 2013 HG rule book that has a number of changes. This is one of the changes suggested by either the rules committee or the RMI corps. Not sure which. The original plan was to have the changes proposed by the 17 th and the rule book out to the BOD for review and approval before Jan 1 with implementation on that date as well. We did receive the proposed rules but I haven't had a chance to go through them personally. There also is not a meeting scheduled for approving the rules yet either.

My guess is that if you polled the membership the vast majority would not support this rule change. As a stage designer I like having the option of letting the shooters cut a corner if they choose to. If I want to restrict their movement I will do so with barricades.

My guess is that if you polled the membership the vast majority would not support this rule change. As a stage designer I like having the option of letting the shooters cut a corner if they choose to. If I want to restrict their movement I will do so with barricades.

Totally agree!

It wouldn't be in the minutes from the meeting but there is a proposal for a new 2013 HG rule book that has a number of changes. This is one of the changes suggested by either the rules committee or the RMI corps. Not sure which. The original plan was to have the changes proposed by the 17 th and the rule book out to the BOD for review and approval before Jan 1 with implementation on that date as well. We did receive the proposed rules but I haven't had a chance to go through them personally. There also is not a meeting scheduled for approving the rules yet either.

Chuck, My guess is this came from an RM that has had to deal with match day mayhem where there is a hole big enough for a semi to be run through and additional barricades deployed to fix said hole - and they want to make it easier to stop short cuts through courses they hadn't thought of being exploited.

Personally, I get it - but I don't support it either. It introduces a far many more issues than it solves. Mulitple shooting area stages, for a foreseen example, then again - it would all depend upon the rule wording. Short of some very substantive examination of examples where it was needed - short of educating shooters to be more "international" friendly and not get bitten when they go IPSC, I'm not seeing a compelling reason to change this behavior.

Edited by aztecdriver

I don't think this rule is even enforceable as it's written. What does "takes a shortcut" mean? It seems clear that if I cut a corner by taking steps outside the shooting area, and travel less total distance than if I had stayed inside the lines, that counts. But what if the route I take is longer, despite being outside the lines? What if I cut an inside corner without setting foot outside the lines? We can speculate based on the inferred intent of the rule but my point is that it's not clear, and IMHO that makes it a bad rule.

As of right now, there is nothing in the proposed 2013 rulebook regarding this rule--it was suggested, but I believe we've written it out in favor of more practical rules regarding stage design and restrictions on movement. I do not believe that the entire board, nor the RMI corps, has had time to review the 2013 rules, but we are working towards it.

Troy

Stupid rule. I find it increasingly frustrating that we would even consider following such a rule....

It's one small step at a time, couched in seemingly reasonable tenets, suddenly you wake up.....and it's too late. What you love is gone, it's not better, IT IS GONE.

I'm done.

I would be 100% against this rule as the standard for stage design. Might as well do away with dynamic shooting. We just tell you to go here an dshoot this target then go there and shoo that target...

BUT

I can also see certain stage designes that add in a certain amount of challenge where keeping within a defined shooting path would be proper. As an example, and I suppose one would have to harken back to the days where we wrote a scenario for a stage, design a stage where the shooter is on a long skinny pier out over a swamp and is tasked with shooting his targets from this small skinny pier. Cuting across from one leg to anohter would require that the shooter grow wings were we to do this on an elevated platform say 6 feet in the air. A rule such as this allows us to buidl a stage emulating the scene but keeping it on the ground where a fall is both unlikely to occur and even less unlikely to cause an injury. The peir could be designed as being only 12" in width, Putting up barriers would mean it would have to be much wider and would reduce the challenge, yes there is a shooting related challenge in not running outside of a very narrowly defined path, similar to making you carry a weighted case or some other 'non-shooting' related activity. Then agian we have strayed so far from Practical that maybe it no longer is of a concern?

They had a T shaped stage at the IPSC Nationals this year where the IPSC version of this rule came into play. Didn't like it there. Someone got dinged enough to basically zero the stage because they cut a corner a couple steps. Don't like it, throw some walls up. I'd rather not have to change all of USPSA to allow someone to avoid having to set up more props.

They had a T shaped stage at the IPSC Nationals this year where the IPSC version of this rule came into play. Didn't like it there. Someone got dinged enough to basically zero the stage because they cut a corner a couple steps.

Yep, didn't come back in at the same spot he went out. Caused a bit of an issue. The good part it the rule was applied evenly no matter who the competitor was. Bad part is it is a weird rule. Kinda like the IPSC no dry fire rule at MR.

Edited by remoandiris

I wish I could find video of the stage from a European match that had the shooters running through this spiral maze. I'm not sure how the IPSC rules read, but it seems like it would be in violation of this USPSA rule:

1.1.8 Scenarios and Stage Props — The use of scenarios and reasonable stage props is encouraged. Care must be exercised, however, to avoid unrealistic non-shooting requirements which detract from the shooting challenge and/or may expose competitors to potentially unsafe conditions.

Edited by sperman

Stage 15 at the US-IPSC Nationals had this issue. Chris Tilley stepped out and back in but the Range Crew stated that he made progress down range so initially assessed with about 14 procedural errors (one per shot fired after the step-out). It was overturned on arbitration.

The video is here, just scroll down until you reach Stage 15: Chris Tilley

Stage 15 at the US-IPSC Nationals had this issue. Chris Tilley stepped out and back in but the Range Crew stated that he made progress down range so initially assessed with about 14 procedural errors (one per shot fired after the step-out). It was overturned on arbitration.

The video is here, just scroll down until you reach Stage 15: Chris Tilley

As per IPSC RULES YES it is spelled out as one point per occurrance, but the RO Also has to determine if significant advantage occurred.

Ie if he fired at 7 targets (14 shots) outside the delineated area, it is possible if no significant advantage was gained to only be charged for the shots that gained the advantage.

Personally, the marked boundaries to shoot within are fine.

Game Your stage as you will....it adds a little more challenge in some respects.

If you blow a stage because of lines drawn, let me remind (gently) that THE SHOOTER is responsible for compliance with USPSA rules, IPSC rules, scorecards, equipment legality, ad nauseum.

Going to arbitration because you did not understand the rules or the stage is poor. That is also the shooter's responsibility to themselves.

Edited by Got Juice?

I would not be in favor for this rule. This is the first time I've heard of it being applied to USPSA.

"As per IPSC RULES YES it is spelled out as one point per occurrance, but the RO Also has to determine if significant advantage occurred.

Ie if he fired at 7 targets (14 shots) outside the delineated area, it is possible if no significant advantage was gained to only be charged for the shots that gained the advantage."

ROs trying to subjectively assess penalties based on if they FEEL that shooters MAY HAVE gained an advantage. This sound perilously like another action pistol sport...let's not go down this road.