Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major or .38 super?

DirkD

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're able to get your brass at club matches then I'd go with .38 Super. Easier to make major and more powders to choose from. If you shoot a major or large match then its a lost brass match anyway. my Open gun is a .38SC

how many rounds does the super .38 magazine can contain? I mean the maximum?

Edited by DirkDiggler

No difference in mag capacity of 9mm major vs .38 super.

Only advantage is that : .38 is more flexible on powder, but brass is more expensive (you

can buy used 9mm brass more readily than .38 super brass).

If money is no object, or if you're going to try to become a M shooter - go with .38.

If you're like everyone else, and just shooting to have fun, the 9mm is "the way to go".

:cheers:

If money is no object, or if you're going to try to become a M shooter - go with .38.

If you're like everyone else, and just shooting to have fun, the 9mm is "the way to go".

:cheers:

Does this mean 9mm has less chance to succeed (or none at all) than .38S in higher levels of the sport? Why?

Edited by BoyGlock

The .38 super is more flexible - I think most GM's are using .38 super over the 9mm major -

sure there are exceptions. Dave Pruitt uses a .38 super and he's usually in the top ten.

Nothing wrong with the 9mm major - but if you got lots of bucks, and want to go as far as

you possibly can, I'd give up my 9mm major and switch over to .38 super. :cheers:

I just switched to 9 major. I can get aprox. 5,000 rounds of 9 brass for the same price as 1,000 38 SC's when/if they are available. I only pick up brass when i practice, so when your talking about loosing several thousand rounds of brass a year it adds up. I like to focus on tearing the stages down and enjoying myself when i shoot a match, not scrounging up my brass.

I recently switched from super to 9mm. Not having to pick up brass is awesome. The only issue is culling brass, not all 9mm is the same. Mine is 99.5% with mixed brass, but 100% with federal. So I when I load ammo, I pull out the federal for match and use the rest for practice

9mm will not hold you back

Edited by Supermoto

I think your getting mislead slightly here by the 9mm guys when they say if you have a lot of money use super.

If you can get your brass back super is absoluty cheaper to shoot SUPER then 9mm. Also you can run your gun at much lower pressures and it will last longer using powders like n105 which is not availabe for 9mm as the case capacity will not allow it.

Another advantage of super is you can reload the brass 15-20 times and that is how it is cheaper...but you have to pick it up. It is an extra step but you can paint your brass with dychem which is what i do and i loose very little brass , if the range is well worn or gravel i get 95% back at a local match.

Lastly another advantage exist in super that being , you will not need to use spacers in you mags , with for some have caused problems ,but in general 38 super is less finicky then 9mm they tend to have less feeding issues. Not to say that 9mm cannot run 100% it can for sure!

If you do super you want 38 super sc its rimless and you can uselly get another round in the mag ove 38 super.

Edited by nipplehead

I have shot both 38 super comp and 9 mm open guns. I currently shoot 9 mm exclusivly. I would go with 9 mm due to the savings on brass and powder. As to performance the 9 mm gun is as flat or flatter shooting than any 38 super comp I have owned. Another thing to consider is resale

.There are far more people looking for 9 mm open guns than 38 super

9 mm magazines are not hard to tune. If you use Gram's springs and followers and steel spacers. You can also use SV tunes if you modify your mag release and or the cut out in the mag body. I would much rather buy once fired processed brass for $25.00 per 1M than have to pick up brass, clean it etc. I have never had a problem with any 9 mm open gun I have owned. I use Silhouette powder that is available for $65.00 per 4 lb container vs VV 3n38 or N 105 that cost $100.00 per 4 lbs. I use 8.0 gr of powdwer with a 124 gr JHP. In my last super comp gun I was using 10.2 gr of 3N38 with a 124 gr JHP. Do the math. My 9mm guns shows no more wear than a 38 super gun with the same number of rounds thru it.

Edited by Jaxshooter

dont want to cause an areguement here but once you shoot your super brass 5 times it is cheaper then once shot 9mm brass that came out of random guns to begin with.the next 10 times will save you money if you plan to but dont have to use expensive V V powders.

and you will find gun builders that will tell you 38 super with the right powders is much easier in you guns with no signs of high pressure ever when compaired to 9mm. Just give Bob @ Brazos a call and discuss that with him,,,he forgot more then most of us will ever know!! ;)

I think your getting mislead slightly here by the 9mm guys when they say if you have a lot of money use super.

If you can get your brass back super is absoluty cheaper to shoot SUPER then 9mm. Also you can run your gun at much lower pressures and it will last longer using powders like n105 which is not availabe for 9mm as the case capacity will not allow it.

Another advantage of super is you can reload the brass 15-20 times and that is how it is cheaper...but you have to pick it up. It is an extra step but you can paint your brass with dychem which is what i do and i loose very little brass , if the range is well worn or gravel i get 95% back at a local match.

Lastly another advantage exist in super that being , you will not need to use spacers in you mags , with for some have caused problems ,but in general 38 super is less finicky then 9mm they tend to have less feeding issues. Not to say that 9mm cannot run 100% it can for sure!

If you do super you want 38 super sc its rimless and you can uselly get another round in the mag ove 38 super.

No misleading by 9 Major guys! I have shot both 9 and 38S. IF you shoot major matches (Level II/III) they are lost brass matches. The cost of 38S brass is around .14 cents per case and the cost of 9 brass is .04 for once fired.

Most II/III matches are 300 rounds (average). So simple match says one match is $10 for 9 and $40 for 38 just in brass cost.

9 Major is cheaper! Can't argue those average costs. Many get 9 brass free or a lot less than $35 a thousand. 38S is $135 a thousand new. The average shooter does not find an abundance of reduced price 38s brass.

I switched to open last Feb. I shoot 38sc I dont mind picking up brass. After I reload the brass several times I load them up for major matches. I mark my brass so I get most of it back.

To me crying about brass price in a custom open gun is like buying a Ferrari and crying about using premium fuel.

Edited by sauza45

To me crying about brass price in a custom open gun is like buying a Ferrari and crying about using premium fuel.

It's more like having to tow it home, wash and clean everytime you drive it. Not a hassle I'm interested in doing anymore. 9mm is just less of a hassle

and you will find gun builders that will tell you 38 super with the right powders is much easier in you guns with no signs of high pressure ever when compaired to 9mm. Just give Bob @ Brazos a call and discuss that with him,,,

Depends. Gun builders are like everyone else - they have their personal preferences. Bob is a very nice guy, but I just spoke to another very famous smith and he has only built 9mm for for the last few years. And his guns work all the time.

I switched to open last Feb. I shoot 38sc I dont mind picking up brass. After I reload the brass several times I load them up for major matches. I mark my brass so I get most of it back.

You pay once for an open gun! Shooting and practicing with it is a total different cost. Nobody is crying about the cost of 38s brass. We are providing INFORMATION to the OP.

If you had the option of buying a Ferrari that burned premium or 106 octane racing fuel and both cars hit the finish line at the same time---which model are you going to buy.

and you will find gun builders that will tell you 38 super with the right powders is much easier in you guns with no signs of high pressure ever when compaired to 9mm. Just give Bob @ Brazos a call and discuss that with him,,,

Depends. Gun builders are like everyone else - they have their personal preferences. Bob is a very nice guy, but I just spoke to another very famous smith and he has only built 9mm for for the last few years. And his guns work all the time.

agree! and some builders are just biased to what they know best.

i shoot an 9mm major open gun, because i can get unlimited brass with the same headstamp for free, but there is less choice in powder for 9mm major.

i didn't feel much difference in shooting my 38super and 9mm gun, and they both run fine.

buying a 300000 dollar sports car is something different than buying a 3000 dollar gun, some people (like me) have saved up money for years so they can buy a gun, and have fun with it, and i want to shoot as cheap ass possible, shooting 9mm saves me about 750 euro's a year compared to 38super, that is almost half of my total ammunition costs for one year.

Hello: I shoot 9mm because it just works. I can reload the cases 4-5 times and then take them to the scrap yard and get money for the brass(my son's get the money to buy 22LR). I have not seen anyone that can load 38SC 15-20 times or would try to? It usually gets lost or starts to split after 10 or the primers fall out. I would try to shoot some pistols in both calibers and see what you like. Thanks, Eric

Truth is they are both about the same. 38sc is cheaper if you can recover most of your brass but if you only recover 50% or so you will still about break even. 9 may be a little more finicky to set up initially but is just as reliable.

I think Eric's 9 major is a little softer than my 38sc but seeing as he set them both up I think that is no accident - that must be why he kicks my butt every time he shoots open!

If you have access to cheap 9 brass it's a no brainer. If not then 38sc may be right.