Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far do you drive to your range?

DonovanM

There's a decent range that's 20 minutes away, or a freaking awesome range that's 40 minutes away.

I'm torn. The freaking awesome range is a much, much better value than the decent one. But it's twice the commute time along a route I've driven a million times before.

I'm only planning on going on like Sat and/or Sun mornings, 1 or 2x a week.

Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably go with the better range. Then again, we travel over an hour virtually every weekend for matches.

That is true. Every single match here (save a small one) is roughly an hour away, either due to traffic before it starts or due to distance.

Since we bought a place out in the country a couple months ago it takes me about 30 seconds to get to the range in my backyard (though my ammo bill has gone up significantly). If I want to make a trip to our clubs 400 yard range it's a lengthy 4 mile jaunt. If I need something longer it's a 30 minute drive over to really nice 600 yard range. Sorta lucky in that area I guess, perks of living in the sticks.

There's a decent range 20 minutes away, or a freaking awesome range 40 minutes away.

Donovan, two questions:

1. what's so great about the "awesome range"? All I do at my range

(in my backyard) is shoot. It's NOT awesome, but it's decent

2. How many miles is the "awesome range"? Any tolls involved?

If it's 20 more miles, you're spending $8/day for gas alone. I'd

rather spend the $8 on another box of ammo or two/week.

I always go with "decent" and cheaper, over "awesome" and expensive,

but that's just me. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Last house I lived in was a small acreage in Rural Iowa. I bought about 4 acres,,,,then someone bought the 140 acres behind me. And of course they built their house directly in line with the ONE and only ONE safe angle of fire I had.......

So, there went 5 more years without having my own practice range.

Now, I'm back in a city and in the same old stinkin' boat that I have to pay for range time.....

:sick:

There's a decent range 20 minutes away, or a freaking awesome range 40 minutes away.

Donovan, two questions:

1. what's so great about the "awesome range"? All I do at my range

(in my backyard) is shoot. It's NOT awesome, but it's decent

2. How many miles is the "awesome range"? Any tolls involved?

If it's 20 more miles, you're spending $8/day for gas alone. I'd

rather spend the $8 on another box of ammo or two/week.

I always go with "decent" and cheaper, over "awesome" and expensive,

but that's just me. :cheers:

It is 20 miles further (27), no tolls. Fortunately my mode of transportation gets ~50mpg so per trip it would only be $4 (one gallon). That is $16 a month that might buy me an extra 150rds or so?

What makes the awesome range so awesome is that for only $30 more a year I get access to an action bay all to myself if there aren't any classes scheduled in it. That way I can practice short stages with steel and stuff. The entire range has excellent ventilation, lighting, and overall quality of facilities.

The decent range is just decent. No action bay, poor lighting, decent enough ventilation (it seems?).

Both will let me draw from a holster, rapid fire etc.

There is also one of the USPSA clubs 45mins north... that is much cheaper than either option and will allow me full size bays and 50 yard shooting.

50 yards... ohh do want!

This is a tough choice.

The "home" range is 30-40 minutes away, so I only go once a week tops. Matches are anywhere from that drive up to 2 hours away. But - if you are willing to take on the drive you can shoot a match almost every weekend, and thats just USPSA. Throw in other matches and it could get expensive. Unfortunately my work schedule rotates, so one month I shoot almost every weekend at a match, and then the next not so much as I'm at work.

To your original question - I'd join where you have the most opportunity to practice what you need to. My "home" range action bays are very busy so it is tough to get one. I've considered switching to one ~90 min away as it is much nicer and has more opportunity to get an action bay.

1. what's so great about the "awesome range"? 2. How many miles is the "awesome range"?

It is 20 miles further my ride gets ~50mpg so per trip it would only be $4 (one gallon). That is $16 a month

the awesome range I get access to an action bay to myself

The decent range is No action bay, poor lighting,

There is also one of the USPSA clubs 45mins north... that is much cheaper than either option and will allow me full size bays and 50 yard shooting.

Sounds like the USPSA club is five minutes further than the "awesome range" - is it outdoors?

I don't like to shoot centerfires indoors - much prefer outdoors.

But, the travel time is $32/month if you go twice a week = also depends on how much time

you have - do you have time to spend 3 hours/week "commuting" to these ranges?

If you have the time, and the money, I'd go with the 1. outdoor range, if possible, or

2. the awesome range with 50 yard shooting - my range is 38 miles away, and takes most of

one hour to get to - go twice a week, like you do - great outdoor range with great matches

every weekend ...

Tough decision - good luck with it.

:cheers:

I drive 45 minutes one way to the gun club and I do it at least two days a week.

Same here. Tuesday's and now that I have range keys, Saturdays.... There is both an indoor and outdoor pistol range so the availability to shoot year-round is another point. In the nothern states during the winter it's easier to find your brass on the concrete floor versus pawing around in 6 inches of snow.

Edited by BillChunn

Well, I forgot to mention or remember one key factor. I'm moving further south in the next 8-9 months.

Oh, and the awesome range that's 40 mins south and I would get bay access? $70 less a year actually than the one 20 mins away. That's almost half my gas bill.

No question in my mind now. This range is indoors and wouldn't be as good as the outdoor range 45 mins north, but it is about as good as indoor ranges get IMO.

Edited by DonovanM