Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 USPSA Revolver Nationals

Whomever is running the chrono stage next year I suggest that you get ready. I will make major and suggest that you hang on when you light my loads off. That 190PF that I saw listed this year might get exceeded by me next year. And don't you worry because ALL of my reloads will be that strong. You will be able to find me wherever I will be and get random ammo to test a second time if you doubt the results from the first test. You might want to get a heavy duty shooting glove. Just remember to be prepared for the .45 Colt ammunition, it will be mine. Don't even think about crying foul because I will be using the same ammunition that you will be testing. If you don't think that you can handle it, then step aside for someone who can.

Just sayin'

You have been put on notice

Blueridge, after all your talk about how much you like to march to the tune of a different drummer with your oh-so-macho Ruger Alaskan, I think it's pretty funny that you got yourself busted for shooting pussy ammo! :D

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whomever is running the chrono stage next year I suggest that you get ready. I will make major and suggest that you hang on when you light my loads off. That 190PF that I saw listed this year might get exceeded by me next year. And don't you worry because ALL of my reloads will be that strong. You will be able to find me wherever I will be and get random ammo to test a second time if you doubt the results from the first test. You might want to get a heavy duty shooting glove. Just remember to be prepared for the .45 Colt ammunition, it will be mine. Don't even think about crying foul because I will be using the same ammunition that you will be testing. If you don't think that you can handle it, then step aside for someone who can.

Just sayin'

Blueridge, after all your talk about how much you like to march to the tune of a different drummer with your oh-so-macho Ruger Alaskan, I think it's pretty funny that you got yourself busted for shooting pussy ammo! :D

Yep, my ammo went minor and I was as surprised as anyone. It won't happen again I'll make sure of that. Can't remember saying that the Alaskan is macho, but it is durable. Marching to a different drummer. . .Yes I do, and have no shame in doing so. Even if I didn't blending in with the crowd would not happen for me anyhow, so why should I? I can take a good ribbing as good as anyone and I am glad that I brought some humor to your day. Before you insult my ammo (which I still have several hundred rounds of) how about I let you set some off? I can save some just for you to shoot. Bet it would put the recoil of whatever load that you use to shame. The failure was due to a miscalculation on my part that I will fix.

Nobody has ever accused me of being a gamer, sandbagger, or someone trying to gain an unfair advantage. Not saying that you are, so don't go taking any offense now. I like doing the best that I can on my terms, rather than simply having the goal of winning. I doubt that you would have even noticed that I went minor if I had not posted that I had. No shame here. :D

Edited by Blueridge

Before you insult my ammo (which I still have several hundred rounds of) how about I let you set some off? I can save some just for you to shoot. Bet it would put the recoil of whatever load that you use to shame.

My ammo chronoed at an honest 180 p.f., so I'm guessing not.

Before you insult my ammo (which I still have several hundred rounds of) how about I let you set some off? I can save some just for you to shoot. Bet it would put the recoil of whatever load that you use to shame.

My ammo chronoed at an honest 180 p.f., so I'm guessing not.

Since you shoot a S&W wouldn't you be shooting that PF out of a lighter gun as well? Who exactly would get their palm stung by the others ammo in this conflict? :P

-ld

Shot like crap AND went minor so not as good of a finish as I would like to have had. However it was one of the funnest matches I have shot. My buddies on the squad and the rest of the squad mates who became buddies had a great time. We enjoyed being the comedy of errors for the RO's and spectators.

Two great quotes from our group:

"No, I shot at it....I'm actually that bad!" (after an RO was trying to give an FTE to a squad mate on a wide open 12 yard target. He did shoot at it as we all attested and he was "that bad" :))

"This revolver stuff is fun, I think I'm going to switch to revo full time.....said no one ever!" (from yours truly)

Thanks to all the staff and RO's that made it happen, I'll for sure shoot it again if they put it on.

Edited by SmittyFL

If I have failed to mention it in my most previous post, I really did enjoy the revolver nationals. I honestly never expected to get the chance to shoot a level 3 dedicated revolver match. The Memphis Charity Challenge was the closest that I expected to get. As I knew going into the match I need to pick up the speed Notch or two.

I am proud to have had the chance to shoot with all of the participants at the match. I look forward to the chance to shoot with you fine people again in the year to come.

I must agree that the single stack/revolver stages were as challenging as any I have seen or watched shot. The participants showed that safe enjoyment can be had by all, no matter the issues that may challenge them. Equipment or otherwise.

First off THANKS to everyone involved in getting this event to happen and the running of it. It felt a little like history in the making :) .

Thanks to all the sponsors that supported this match.

Congrats to Jerry and Rob and all the other class winners in both matches.

It is great that the revolver event overfilled especially for the first time.

I shot poorly but had a great time with 120 other revolver shooters.

I think the match being open to everyone helps the attendance I hope they leave it that way until it becomes large enough that slots need to be given out to limit attendance,( I don't ever see that as a problem but I hope it is someday)

I know it would have been a lot of work for tired staff but I hoped that the stages would have been a little more different between the two matchs. I'm sure I was the only one on my squad that shot only the revolver match and they already had stage plans from the day before shooting single stack. Some of the start position changes were brilliant and changed the stages drastically from the single stack match others not so much. I know I could get a SS and shoot both matchs also but I don't even own one now as revolver is all I do and want to do.

I would also like to see a couple 32 round courses at a national level event.

This is just my wish list and not a complaint.

It was a great match and a great time and like Carmoney said felt like we were part of something special.

Well done everyone.

I'll be back :D

I'm sure I was the only one on my squad that shot only the revolver match and they already had stage plans from the day before shooting single stack. Some of the start position changes were brilliant and changed the stages drastically from the single stack match others not so much.

I wondered if there would be any advantage to shooting the match with a single-stack 1911 beforehand. Having done exactly that, I reached the conclusion that any possible small advantage created by being more familiar with the stages is more than negated by the fatigue factor, and the sudden switch from one platform to another.

I really like both SS and Revo platforms, so it was a doubly fun two days for me! But I think if had really wanted to maximize my Revo performance, I would have been better off not shooting the SS on Saturday.

Just my experience--I think this probably varies for different people.

Appreciate everything done by all to set up and run this match. Had a great time. coming from an area where 40 round stages are not uncommon in club matches thought I would miss the big field courses but did not. Squad was full of a good bunch and enjoyed shooting with them. Glad to have been a part of the first of these. Hope to be part of those to come.

Yeah, I can't think of a place I'd rather kill an entire day waiting around than Quincy, Illinois.......... :sick:

I did the Friday-Sunday split too. Weather was gorgeous Saturday, I headed out to the range and followed the super squad around for a while to see how it's supposed to be done, and beat myself up for shooting stupidly.

Yeah, I can't think of a place I'd rather kill an entire day waiting around than Quincy, Illinois.......... :sick:

Well, slflr and I almost did just that. Arrived Fri night, spent Saturday at the range watching people stuff these flat things up the butts of their pistols, and shot revolver on Sunday. It didn't help my confidence any to watch one guy DQ on the 2nd stage of the SS match, then show up on Sunday to find that's our first stage, and I'm the first shooter. Pucker factor might have slowed me down a bit.

Just sayin'

Yep, my ammo went minor and I was as surprised as anyone. It won't happen again I'll make sure of that. Can't remember saying that the Alaskan is macho, but it is durable. Marching to a different drummer. . .Yes I do, and have no shame in doing so. Even if I didn't blending in with the crowd would not happen for me anyhow, so why should I? I can take a good ribbing as good as anyone and I am glad that I brought some humor to your day. Before you insult my ammo (which I still have several hundred rounds of) how about I let you set some off? I can save some just for you to shoot. Bet it would put the recoil of whatever load that you use to shame. The failure was due to a miscalculation on my part that I will fix.

Nobody has ever accused me of being a gamer, sandbagger, or someone trying to gain an unfair advantage. Not saying that you are, so don't go taking any offense now. I like doing the best that I can on my terms, rather than simply having the goal of winning. I doubt that you would have even noticed that I went minor if I had not posted that I had. No shame here. :D

I went minor, too, with ammo that chronoed major previously. [Obviously not the same temperatures here as in Vegas, but I'm looking for explanations, too.]

My Rev ammo went minor also, Thanks to Doug from DCAmmo for saving me. As luck would have it TGO was up at the crono with his ammo checking it before the match--so, I thought better safe than sorry! Got mine out and checked it, SS was OK but not the same as in MN. Rev went minor by just a little bit. That sent me off to find Doug. His crono'd at 17pf in the 5 inch 625.

Thanks again Doug

I had chronoed my loads the weekend before with 4.5 WST and it was marginal - bumped my match loads to 4.7 (4.9 is max) and still had to shoot 6 rounds over the chrono to make it :(

I had chronoed my loads the weekend before with 4.5 WST and it was marginal - bumped my match loads to 4.7 (4.9 is max) and still had to shoot 6 rounds over the chrono to make it :(

Ugh, quit using WST in the late '80's due to it being inverse temp sensitive in my 45 auto.

The first round of mine chrono'd a bit lower than I like, but the average came out right where I wanted/expected it.

Elizabeth uses a 4" 646 and I use a modified 6" 646. I make our match loads to go major in her gun and don't worry about mine. After the last time I was in Barry at the 2011 Single Stack Nationals and it was 40 degrees. I waited for a good cold day to work up some match ammo for the 2013 Revolver Nationals. (Actually had the chance because I was working close to home).

I use 180 grn Precision Delta FMJ (closest thing to a true round nose I have found in 40 cal) Vit N320 4.3 grns and Federal Small pistol primers. Brass is nickle mixed manufacturer.

I would load 6 rounds of various weight powder fill, and take them outside to let them cool off from the inside temp they were assembled in. (outside temp that day was 38 degrees) I settled on the 4.3 as it made 171.958 (average) Powerfactor out of her gun as she has asked me to get it as close to 172 as I could. (I shoot all 6 and average the least 3)

At the chronograph stage for the Revolver Nationals she only needed 3 shots and her average was 169.863 not too far off and within my allowance for chrono to chrono differences.

My gun with the same load that same day at home made 176.something. Fine by me as I can't tell the difference until we get close to the 190 power factor. My gun at Revolver Nationals chrono made 180.520 a tid bid higher than expected, but good enough.

I also would like to say thanks to all who gave me a donation for the Memphis Charity Challenge to LeBohneur Childrens Hospital at the match. The generosity of the people in our sport still amazes me after being in the sport for 12 years now. Obviously there is enough enthusiasm out there for 100+ revolver shooters at a single USPSA match so lets try to do the same with the 2014 Memphis Charity Challenge, and 2014 USPSA Revolver Nationals.

Hopalong

Edit to add:

Was slightly disappointed the USPSA President wasn't at the USPSA Revolver Nationals, or at least sent a statement. He's doing MUCH better than our previous one though !!!!!!

Edited by hopalong