Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 USPSA Revolver Nationals

From the latest BOD minutes:

o Single Stack Nationals will remain at PASA Park, May 8-10,

2013, with a dedicated Revolver Nationals the day after the

event (May 11th).

Well guys, it looks like our Nationals is going to be a little different starting next year. While I will admit to some mixed feelings about this, I do think it's time to try something different, and our new president has given us that. I think it will be interesting to have a true stand-alone Revolver Nationals, even if it is only a one-day match. With 300 shooters in town for the Single Stack, I have to believe a fair bunch of them will bring their revolver stuff and stay the extra day. With a little promotion by USPSA, we could easily see 100+ revo shooters at Nationals.

A few years ago, our back-to-back Single-Stack/Revolver matches in Iowa were quote successful. I hope that is the case here as well, on a bigger scale. Obviously, it all falls apart if we only attract the usual crew of 25 wheelgunners.

Thoughts?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinion from a guy who doesn't shoot revolvers in competition, but shoots them for fun.

I would never shoot Revolver over Open or Limited. I also would probably never fly just to shoot the Revo Nationals alone. I would however, stay the extra day to shoot the Revo Nationals. Will I win the Revo Nationals? Hell no, but it would be fun to test my skills against the best wheel gunners the nation has to offer.

Thoughts?

I think I'm going to have to buy a single stack gun this winter and make a weekend of it. :roflol:

Even though I'm in my first year of USPSA I'm a couple hours from Barry IL and would certainly be thrilled to enter just for the experience. From everything I've heard it's a great facility and they put on good matches.

I think it is great that Phil is trying some different things. I like the idea of combining the Revo and SS nationals. I fear that turning Saturday into the Revo match will turn away more 1911 shooters than it will attract Revolver guys.

Well I've always put off the SS CLassic/Nationals but wanted to do it.

Depending on the cost, Planning on the Revo Nats now and maybe go SS also.

That and A3 may be it for 2013.

But then I'm #26 of the regular guys.

Elizabeth and I will do all we can to get there. We(revolver guys/gals) have been called out and it is time to step up. In all the major matches but mine the revolver division seems to be the "Oh and there were a few of those antiquated funny things that spin in the middle" division. I have hoped the MCC would break 100 shooters but I'll thake the 75 average we get and keep going. USPSA has the people(and contacts) to push the Nationals unlike the MCC does so it can be a great and wonderful thing.

Phil and I have had a few discussions on making the MCC the nationals even back when we were both running for President. I can say this, but won't go any further. He did not say NO and left the possibilty open for the future.

He has opened the door. It is up to us to go through it. We'll see you there.

(Might not be shooting the SSTK Nats though)

Hopalong

I have talked to a couple of local revolver shooters at the last couple of matches, after reading about the move to PASA(front sight). We all said we were going to go. I know I'm in.

Will this be a slot match? I can't see the match filling up unless a lot of SS shooters decide to hang around and shoot it.

Hope they leave some spots for the wheelgun only guys. :lol:

Would LOVE to see Sam's match become the nationals.

From the latest BOD minutes:

o Single Stack Nationals will remain at PASA Park, May 8-10,

2013, with a dedicated Revolver Nationals the day after the

event (May 11th).

Well guys, it looks like our Nationals is going to be a little different starting next year. While I will admit to some mixed feelings about this, I do think it's time to try something different, and our new president has given us that. I think it will be interesting to have a true stand-alone Revolver Nationals, even if it is only a one-day match. With 300 shooters in town for the Single Stack, I have to believe a fair bunch of them will bring their revolver stuff and stay the extra day. With a little promotion by USPSA, we could easily see 100+ revo shooters at Nationals.

A few years ago, our back-to-back Single-Stack/Revolver matches in Iowa were quote successful. I hope that is the case here as well, on a bigger scale. Obviously, it all falls apart if we only attract the usual crew of 25 wheelgunners.

Thoughts?

Shooting both is something I would love to do. I think it will fill up. Getting slots for both might be the problem

I might not travel that far just to shoot one one day match

Edited by underlug

We(revolver guys/gals) have been called out and it is time to step up.

Sam is right. We need to show up at PASA Park next May en masse and prove once and for all that Revolver is a valid and viable division worthy of its own dedicated National Championship.

This could be a real game-changer at the top levels.....all of sudden the regular wheels like Jerry, Matt, and Josh will have to deal with serious pressure from the likes of Rob, Shannon, and Nils! Those guys might (or might not) go out of their way to travel to a stand-alone match somewhere off the beaten track, but they are a captive audience in Barry that weekend! I have to think a bunch of the Single Stack guys will toss in their revolver stuff just for kicks. Why wouldn't they? They're already there!

How cool would it be to have 100+ revolver shooters at Nationals the first year they try this thing? How cool would it be to have true competition in all classes, from D to GM?

This could really invigorate Revo, guys. This is big.

I am putting in for vacation tomorrow. It is a little bit surprising to learn that a guy who was elected to an office actually did something he said he would do while campaigning. Kudos to Phil. This raises lots of possibilities in my mind. I have wondered if participation to area matches would actually increase if a shooter who won his class was certain to get a slot in the revolver division. I know that many revolver enthusiasts stay away from matches because they don't like working hard without any chance for recognition. In my tinsy, little, tiny bit of experience it seems that most of the revo shooters shooting higher level matches have reached higher classes. I think that participation might increase if shooters in the lower classes had a real chance at earning a slot. This would be a great opportunity to re-shape the revolver division by making a fundamental change to awarding slots. Yes, I am saying that if you go to an Area match and you are only "C" class shooter you should get a slot.

I didn't go to Area 3 this weekend because the amout of revolvers were low. In hindsight the experience would have probably been worth it even if we don't get recognized. But that sure is a lot to pay to not be treated the same.

Had to pull up the calendar.

May 8-10 is Wed - Fri./May 11 is a Saturday.

Is SS Nationals finishing on Friday, or did they plan finishing on Saturday as in years past and Revolver Nationals is shot on Sunday?

You have the dates correct.

Here's what I have heard: They were originally planning to run the Revo Nats on the Sunday after the Single Stack, but PASA had some kind of conflict and the range wasn't available on Sunday. So they moved Single Stack back to Wed. through Fri. and the Revo will be shot on Saturday--this year only.

A few of the SS guys are bitching that Revo is getting the "prime choice." But it clearly makes sense to run the Revo match after the SS, if the idea is to pick up a bunch of SS shooters who are mostly serious about shooting SS, but will stick around an extra day for a "fun match" with the revolver.

I just finished reading on the USPSA website about how Nationals slots work, but was left with some questions. I'm new to all this...

- Do we know (or expect) if Revo Nationals is going to have enough interest for slots to be scarce?

- Why is Single Stack different from the other divs?

- Will all reasonably-sized clubs get a slot for Revo Nationals? My home club runs monthly matches with 75 or so guys, will that probably be large enough?

I'd love to attend next year but I won't get my heart set on it if it's not realistic. Somebody has to come in last place, right? :rolleyes:

You have the dates correct.

Here's what I have heard: They were originally planning to run the Revo Nats on the Sunday after the Single Stack, but PASA had some kind of conflict and the range wasn't available on Sunday. So they moved Single Stack back to Wed. through Fri. and the Revo will be shot on Saturday--this year only.

A few of the SS guys are bitching that Revo is getting the "prime choice." But it clearly makes sense to run the Revo match after the SS, if the idea is to pick up a bunch of SS shooters who are mostly serious about shooting SS, but will stick around an extra day for a "fun match" with the revolver.

What I do not think is realistic is someone being precluded from the single stack match traveling to shoot a one day revolver nationals match (only)

But it clearly makes sense to run the Revo match after the SS, if the idea is to pick up a bunch of SS shooters who are mostly serious about shooting SS, but will stick around an extra day for a "fun match" with the revolver.

I just finished reading on the USPSA website about how Nationals slots work, but was left with some questions. I'm new to all this...

- Do we know (or expect) if Revo Nationals is going to have enough interest for slots to be scarce?

- Why is Single Stack different from the other divs?

- Will all reasonably-sized clubs get a slot for Revo Nationals? My home club runs monthly matches with 75 or so guys, will that probably be large enough?

I'd love to attend next year but I won't get my heart set on it if it's not realistic. Somebody has to come in last place, right? :rolleyes:

Jester has some of the same questions I have.

I'm all for anything that boosts the revolver numbers as Carmoney says, BUT I don't think it would be fair to let a bunch of SS guys hang around and shoot it for FUN and some of the guys who shoot revolver all the time not be able to get to shoot the match because it fills up.

I do think it is a great opportunity for the revolver shooters as long as all the revolver shooters get a chance to shoot it that wants to.

My guess is if they took all the revolver shooters in the USA that had shot 10 or 12 or more matches, with a revolver, in the year before the nationals, even if they all could show up wouldn't fill the match up. I'm not talking the occasional revolver shooter or the shooter who shoots 4 matches just to get classified. I'm talking the about the shooter who you don't recognize if they show up with a bottom feeder on their belt.

I know in Indiana we have 3 or 4 that have a classification an that is mostly all they shoot(REV.)

We do have 1 that comes from Ill. on a regular basis and probably some from MI. in the northern part of the state that I don't know about. Oh and we have some guy from KY that occasionally shoots in IN, he is a semi serious Revolver shooter I think his name is Matt Griffin :bow:

The Indiana section has 10 revolver shooters signed up so far, a lot of area matches don't have that many. Handing out slots like they do for the other classes just won't work as well when the turnouts are so limited. IMHO

I really hope that things work out for the Revolver Nationals. I don't see me being able to participate in the match due to my schedule and the distance the venue is from me. Right now I have 2 state (one in Charlotte NC the other in Raleigh NC) and 2 national (one in Memphis TN, the other in Hershey-Harrisburg PA) level fencing competitions between March 2013 and September 2013. Due to these competitions my shooting sport participation is taking a backseat unfortunately. I have pondered how I could participate in the Revolver Nationals (if I were to meet the criteria) and getting in necessary practice time for both fencing along with my revolver is rife with conflict.

I have had to miss state & regional IDPA matches along with the USPSA NC Sectionals and Memphis Charity Challenge this year due to schedule related problems. I have been able to manage both fencing and shpooting sports competitions up until this year, but the addition of multiple work related training demands shooting has suffered a bit. I'll be in Franklin TN the weekend of the Memphis Charity Challenge, and not able to make the match due to work related training that starts that Monday. As if fate is playing with me I am able to participate in a fencing tournament being held at Vanderbuilt University the weekend AFTER my training.

Sorry about the divergence from the thread topic. :(

Given that it is currently unknown how many "dedicated" revolver shooters will attend, I don't see any problem with the "dedicated" single-stack shooters participating. I want the numbers to be high enough that the match is held again as it's own match in the future. The details can be "ironed out" later, but the first hurdle of getting a stand alone nationals has come to fruition. :D

My current hope is that I will get the opportunity to participate in the 2014 Revolver Nationals. To that end I want the 2013 Revolver Nationals to be a great success. :D

Edited by Blueridge

IMO this is the time ya'll should setup to the plate and show that REVO division can be HUGE. This is an opportunity NOT to be missed.

Ya'll that have shot the SSC/SSN matches over the years know that this is a SHOOTING match, not an athletic high round count match. With most being 12 to 20 rd stages.

I'm sure we will tweak the stages a bit to make them a bit different than the SSN match. And I'd expect at least one ALL steel stage over 20 rds.

I'll be working it or I'd shoot.

Have not been to a Nationals since '08, but I am in for this one. Nothing better than a a bunch of wheels going heads-up. I think that there will be a few more from Team Magnolia also. Just need to know when to register. Already told the SC to put me and two others down for slots if that is how it is done.

This has the potential to be very big for Revolver Division.

Hopefully I will see abunch of you guys in Memphis in November.

Let's not be getting upset over the slots thing. SSTK Nationals went for several years before they started the slot thing for them.

The MCC runs 75 shooters in one day with traveling Range officers and has plenty of time left over in one day. With the experienced staff at the SSTK nationals 150 in one day is doable.

Will We get 150 ? ONLY if a good many SSTK shooters stick around and shoot the Revo Nats.

Don't worry about slots,but just get ready to show up and shoot to show the rest of USPSA that the Revo division is as strong as ever and let's make HISTORY !!!!

Hopalong