Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History Channel hasn't renewed Top Shot for Next Year(Spoilers)

Lee B

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loss of any shooting show, is just that...a loss

Good or not so good, in general it was a plus for the shooting world

i will miss it

Jim

My wife enjoys watching it with me -- and she's not really a shooter. She's also seeing some of those really cool toys agreeing with me when I say "that's really cool ... I want one someday." Hell, even the cute 22-year-old intern at work watches Top Shot and talks with me about it at the office.

I think Top Shot is relatively good PR for shooting in general, as others on this forum have said before. The shooting is fairly uncomplicated (for the most part), and they almost never move, but they also have had VERY few (but not zero, I'll admit) safety violations, so they're presenting shooting as a safe and fun sport to the general TV-watching public. That's something we could do with more of, instead of our TV action heroes committing multiple unsafe maneuvers in seemingly every frame.

Long story short, it's not terribly exciting shooting, but it I think it is good for shooters, and it gives my wife and I something to laugh at together, which little enough TV does these days.

-- John.

Same here, non shooters in my family watched it with me and sparked the interest in shooting.

If the show was to come back, I would like to see 2 changes;

After we "meet" the new cast and they shoot off for teams, give them all green jerseys, and have the 2 worst shooters of the weekly challenge go to elimination.

I still think they should have teams at first, but I like the idea that the two worst performs on the losing team automatically go to the elimination round.

Ugh, we lose Top Shot but get to keep American Guns and Sons of Guns. Guess we know what people want to see on TV now don't we? Probably could have picked up viewers if the smokin' hot Border Patrol chick had done some hot tub time or the whiney giant guy threw a beating to the computer nerd.

It's sad what we have become.

Mac

I don't agree with the concept of teams in this type of event. If it were up to me all the competitors would compete each week on a particular challenge. The winner gets 10 points (and the Bass Pro Gift Card), then 9, then 8 etc.. At the end of each week the two shooters with the lowest combined totals battle it out for elimination. For those near the bottom each week the pressure will mount to get out of the danger zone.

For those near the top the pressure will be on to win the weekly Bass Pro Bonus...

Once you are down to the final three then its winner takes all in the finale.

I don't agree with the concept of teams in this type of event.

I think strictly on a competition level this makes sense, but as Mac said:

Ugh, we lose Top Shot but get to keep American Guns and Sons of Guns. Guess we know what people want to see on TV now don't we?

Teams create the dynamics necessary for a little bit of drama. As does the voting process. People find those things interesting, as is evident by ANY of the reality shows out right now that involve some sort of elimination (bachelor, survivor, etc). Even shows without elimination that involve a little drama generally prove to do better, such as the ones mentioned by Mac.

Guys here talk about wives/girlfriends/family enjoying the show, and a big part of me sadly knows that if this were strictly a "shooting competition" showing run after run of individual shooter, we'd lose a lot of that viewer base. It'd be like watching the Olympics, which no one would do if they didn't have countries to root for. Giving teams and drama gives us personalities to root for, which people need to keep interest.

Sad but true.

But as has been said several times, any positive exposure into the shooting world that gets people interested and involved can't be bad.

It only take 10-15 minutes to watch with a DVR, but I hope Bass Pro Shop can come up with some more gift cards for another season...

For all I care, they could put the extra 20-ish grand from the gift card into the show to keep it alive :)

Edited by Jeanjacket

I like the show(s). In fact, Top Shot and other TV series are why I'm even here :)

I wasn't shooting anything until last Sept (I'm 39 years old), and now I'm a B class competitor in USPSA. I'd always been interested in shooting, but didn't know anything about practical shooting until I started seeing the "USPSA National Champion" titles under the Top Shot shooters' names. I looked up this "USPSA" acronym and had an epiphany...I could do that!

So, let me say it this way...Top Shots is doing better than YOU ALL in getting folks into shooting :) USPSA is one of the best kept secrets in shooting, IMO.

USPSA is one of the best kept secrets in shooting, IMO.

I could not agree more... it is something that I am trying to change with the LiveShot thing, we can't get on TV that often but with the internet we have a greater opportunity to reach more people and show them what we do.

It is great to read this. Sometimes we can be a little jaded as most of us kind of grew up in shooting or the shooting sports.

I wonder what the ratings would be like if Shooting USA were on the History Channel?

I like the show(s). In fact, Top Shot and other TV series are why I'm even here :)

I wasn't shooting anything until last Sept (I'm 39 years old), and now I'm a B class competitor in USPSA. I'd always been interested in shooting, but didn't know anything about practical shooting until I started seeing the "USPSA National Champion" titles under the Top Shot shooters' names. I looked up this "USPSA" acronym and had an epiphany...I could do that!

So, let me say it this way...Top Shots is doing better than YOU ALL in getting folks into shooting :) USPSA is one of the best kept secrets in shooting, IMO.

I would be sad to see this show go, it has gotten the non-shooters in my family interested and my kids asking to go to the range.

Just about anyone at work or elsewhere I mention shooting to, is aware of this show and finds it iteresting.

Look on the comments in this forum, I believe more comments than any other TV show. A much more positive view of the firearms world than is Sons of Guns.

All positives in my book.

Lighten up guys, it's ok to like a show even if it has drama.

eric

Great examples of positive exposure into the shooting world.

I personally like the fact that because of the show you can get her to agree with your "I want one of those" statements ;) we need more of THAT!

To be completely honest, she's not exactly saying "we should have one," but she's agreeing "that's cool and if we have the money (haha) I won't object to you buying it." But that's progress, and I'm working on the money thing. :)

I also think their business model is backwards: I'd pay some good money to go to TopShotLand, or whatever the theme park would be named, and pick my favorite ten challenges that they've ever done and run them. I'd pay even more money if Taran and some of the other coaches would work with me for 30 minutes first!

-- John.

A former Top Shot contestant has something that might interest you: Marksnan's Challenge.

I would be sad to see this show go, it has gotten the non-shooters in my family interested and my kids asking to go to the range.

Just about anyone at work or elsewhere I mention shooting to, is aware of this show and finds it iteresting.

Look on the comments in this forum, I believe more comments than any other TV show. A much more positive view of the firearms world than is Sons of Guns.

All positives in my book.

Lighten up guys, it's ok to like a show even if it has drama.

eric

Yep- my wife actually enjoys watching it with me. We don't watch much together on TV these days...

I'd kinda like the History channel to show, Oh I dunno "History". Hum what a novel concept. Every single channel seems to have 24-7 stupid reality shows that have nothing to do with their original unique formats.

Any shooting show that gains exposure to competitive shooting is a good thing. I could do w/o the drama, but that's what DVR is for. But, that's what also keeps most shows on TV.

If it draws more shooters, I'm all for it.

When people find out that I shoot competitively, they usually ask me what I shoot. My answer "Action (I always say this because they think bulls-eye if I don't) Pistol, and 3gun matches mostly." and there usual response; "Oh like the stuff they do on top shot." ...

Love it or hate it, I rather have them watch that, then American guns, just sayin.

I don't agree with the concept of teams in this type of event. If it were up to me all the competitors would compete each week on a particular challenge. The winner gets 10 points (and the Bass Pro Gift Card), then 9, then 8 etc.. At the end of each week the two shooters with the lowest combined totals battle it out for elimination. For those near the bottom each week the pressure will mount to get out of the danger zone.

For those near the top the pressure will be on to win the weekly Bass Pro Bonus...

Once you are down to the final three then its winner takes all in the finale.

TGO should do the commentary......that would make it a must see......

When people find out that I shoot competitively, they usually ask me what I shoot. My answer "Action (I always say this because they think bulls-eye if I don't) Pistol, and 3gun matches mostly." and there usual response; "Oh like the stuff they do on top shot." ...

Love it or hate it, I rather have them watch that, then American guns, just sayin.

Or that stupid Sons of Guns !!!!

Love or hate the team format it works. I could be wrong but I think survivor started this reality TV crazy and that is the format they use. It worked for them so most will copy it. I like that even if you are hated by the group and get voted to the elimination every time you can still come back if you are the best shooter.

I had to ask for some leave for today's match and my supervisor asked why only 1 day. When I told him it was for a 3gun match he said, "like top shot?" So people watch the show and even though it isn't the same I nodded and said yes it is similar.