Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History Channel hasn't renewed Top Shot for Next Year(Spoilers)

Lee B

I really like this show and watch every week. Let History Channel know you're a fan of the show. Maybe they will "get it" and renew the series for another year.

Caleb's Facebook Post:

https://www.facebook.com/calebshooting/posts/364570416919695

Colby's Twitter Post:

https://twitter.com/#!/Colby_Donaldson/status/189910256623697920

-Lee

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sporadic at best till the fine folks got together with the air foce guy to drive out the navy guy a couple seasons back. Never watched again. And wont.

I was sporadic at best till the fine folks got together with the air foce guy to drive out the navy guy a couple seasons back. Never watched again. And wont.

Right from day #1 there is one thing I've never understood, and that's everybody talking about the 'Blue Team' and the 'Red Team' or The Navy Guy vs. The Air Force Guy, or feeling bad for knocking the girls out of the show.

Because in the end ............ IT'S NOT A TEAM CHALLENGE!!!!

If only 1 person can win "The $100,000 prize & Title of History's Top Shot" then it's an INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE right?

:blink:

I agree that was extremely distasteful. I understand where you're coming from but IMO that was the fault of the individuals involved, rather than the show. If it was a regular part of the show I'd have stopped watching quickly.

For me, there were many more contestants that seemed like they would have been a lot of fun to spend time at the range with. Ultimately, I got to see some cool guns used, see some USPSA competitors perform outside their comfort zone, and just as importantly stuff was blown up.

Whats not to like? I'll be sorry to see it go.

My .02

I hope you're not talking about the black guy Jake the "Navy SEAL"... right? I couldn't feel any better about that guy walking his own ass off the show lol.

Right from day #1 there is one thing I've never understood, and that's everybody talking about the 'Blue Team' and the 'Red Team' or The Navy Guy vs. The Air Force Guy, or feeling bad for knocking the girls out of the show.

Because in the end ............ IT'S NOT A TEAM CHALLENGE!!!!

If only 1 person can win "The $100,000 prize & Title of History's Top Shot" then it's an INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE right?

Well as far as Blue vs Red goes, the more your team performs the better chance you have of making it to the end. Of course it's all individual challenge at the end (and in a way all the way through), but if your team performs, then you don't go to elimination, which gives you a higher chance of making it to the end. Sadly as it did become a bit of a popularity contest in some cases, it wouldn't matter how well you did individually if you were disliked -- you still might be sent to elimination. Better team = no chance of elimination til the end.

If the show was to come back, I would like to see 2 changes;

After we "meet" the new cast and they shoot off for teams, give them all green jerseys, and have the 2 worst shooters of the weekly challenge go to elimination.

Well as far as Blue vs Red goes, the more your team performs the better chance you have of making it to the end. Of course it's all individual challenge at the end (and in a way all the way through), but if your team performs, then you don't go to elimination, which gives you a higher chance of making it to the end. Sadly as it did become a bit of a popularity contest in some cases, it wouldn't matter how well you did individually if you were disliked -- you still might be sent to elimination. Better team = no chance of elimination til the end.

Very valid points .... Makes perfect sense.

But it doesn't make it a real test of whos the "Top Shot" of that group. A real winner would be able to beat any and all other competitors. Instead now it's very random. :(

Competitive shooting on TV can't be bad.

I agree, any kind of competitive shooting exposure will get more people interested in the sport. Which translates to more support down the road.

Of course a complaint might be, "oh well people will come to USPSA thinking it's like Top Shot" .. But that's what we're here for.. to set em straight ;)

Getting more people interested, involved, and in support of the sport can't be a bad thing at all.

I watched part of the first episode this "season", then never watched it again. I'd really rather watch something like the old "Buckmasters Challenge". Remember when they'd put people in hunting situations and they'd shoot 3D targets with various guns. Now that was sporting!

My wife enjoys watching it with me -- and she's not really a shooter. She's also seeing some of those really cool toys agreeing with me when I say "that's really cool ... I want one someday." Hell, even the cute 22-year-old intern at work watches Top Shot and talks with me about it at the office.

I think Top Shot is relatively good PR for shooting in general, as others on this forum have said before. The shooting is fairly uncomplicated (for the most part), and they almost never move, but they also have had VERY few (but not zero, I'll admit) safety violations, so they're presenting shooting as a safe and fun sport to the general TV-watching public. That's something we could do with more of, instead of our TV action heroes committing multiple unsafe maneuvers in seemingly every frame.

Long story short, it's not terribly exciting shooting, but it I think it is good for shooters, and it gives my wife and I something to laugh at together, which little enough TV does these days.

-- John.

My wife enjoys watching it with me -- and she's not really a shooter. She's also seeing some of those really cool toys agreeing with me when I say "that's really cool ... I want one someday." Hell, even the cute 22-year-old intern at work watches Top Shot and talks with me about it at the office.

I think Top Shot is relatively good PR for shooting in general, as others on this forum have said before. The shooting is fairly uncomplicated (for the most part), and they almost never move, but they also have had VERY few (but not zero, I'll admit) safety violations, so they're presenting shooting as a safe and fun sport to the general TV-watching public. That's something we could do with more of, instead of our TV action heroes committing multiple unsafe maneuvers in seemingly every frame.

Long story short, it's not terribly exciting shooting, but it I think it is good for shooters, and it gives my wife and I something to laugh at together, which little enough TV does these days.

-- John.

Great examples of positive exposure into the shooting world.

I personally like the fact that because of the show you can get her to agree with your "I want one of those" statements ;) we need more of THAT!

For the most part I enjoy it. It's also one show that's almost all about gun stuff portrayed in a positive way... that's awesome. For those of you that don't like the drama- watching people just shoot stuff would get pretty boring.... unless of course I got to do the shooting stuff!

Great examples of positive exposure into the shooting world.

I personally like the fact that because of the show you can get her to agree with your "I want one of those" statements ;) we need more of THAT!

To be completely honest, she's not exactly saying "we should have one," but she's agreeing "that's cool and if we have the money (haha) I won't object to you buying it." But that's progress, and I'm working on the money thing. :)

I also think their business model is backwards: I'd pay some good money to go to TopShotLand, or whatever the theme park would be named, and pick my favorite ten challenges that they've ever done and run them. I'd pay even more money if Taran and some of the other coaches would work with me for 30 minutes first!

-- John.