Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First off, I have no axe to grind- I shoot open cause I want to.

But hear me out- open as a division, is dying, quickly. It is going the way of limited as we once knew it. Why? Lots of reasons. Let's start with 3gun nation. Nuff said-open a bastard child last year, non-existent this year. Secondly, the pond is pretty small now-if you wanna shoot with the heat, tactical is the heat. Look at the equipment-start with shotgun. Hardly any advantage in open. Load two and quad load has shrunk the gap in reload time to the point where if you really practice, it's too close to call. Mag fed shotguns? Course design killing it as well, not to mention the cost. Rifle? I can't remember the last time a bipod was an advantage. Let's face it, we all monopod anyway. A second optic? Who cares. Variable scopes with a switch view makes it not necessary. Big comp? Again, no big given tuning the gas systems on our AR's. Pistols? A dot and comp is a bit of an advantage, but in MG, there are so few pistol challenging stages that it doesn't matter.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I sure hope not! I plan to shoot up open starting next year. I sure hope there's some competition, I only have so much room on my walls for trophies :)

SMM3G:

2012 - 76

2011 - 64

2010 - 59

RM3G:

2011 - 43

2010 - 37

USPSA MG

2011 - 56

2010 - 49

BRM3G:

2011 - 37

2010 - 22

MGM Ironman:

2011 - 39

2010 - 33

AR15ProAm

2011 - 25

Not dead, just growing slow. Not all who start out in 3gun know they want to shoot open till after a few matches :devil:

I predict that Open will surge in popularity when the Akdal shotgun has the bugs worked out. There are lots of 3-gunners out there who can't be bothered with all that silly "loading shells by hand" nonsense. Other than the shotgun, there is not much to choose between Open and Tac Scope.

I predict that Open will surge in popularity when the Akdal shotgun has the bugs worked out. There are lots of 3-gunners out there who can't be bothered with all that silly "loading shells by hand" nonsense. Other than the shotgun, there is not much to choose between Open and Tac Scope.

Im one of the early adopters of Akdal but have been a Saiga shooter for a few years. Like the OP I shoot the guns I like and tell me where it fits! I also agree that the open class will grow like crazy when the Akdal gets the mag situation to a point where they are cheap, plentifull and rock solid.

Or another mfg steps up with a AR shotgun platform. Open will get crowded in the next couple years I bet.

Not dead, just growing slow. Not all who start out in 3gun know they want to shoot open till after a few matches :devil:

Took me a few years, but Im not going back to that 20th century Benelli.... ;)

I got forced into Open when I started shooting a Saiga. Took a year to come up with an Open pistol and learn how to shoot it. I have no intention of going back to Tac Ops, ever. I never liked that Tac Ops was more of a shotgun reloading contest than a shooting contest. With more mag fed shotguns becoming available I think Open will continue to grow.

Doug

As a limited and heavy metal shooter, I have nothing but support for those that buck the norm of scope tac. There should be a place for all of us to shoot within reason, and all the open weenies (Like Doug) should be allowed to use the fancy go fast gizmos. Some prefer oysters and some prefer snails. We should fight against the oppression of the one scope tac division. Rise up my brothers in shooting diversity and oppose the evil scope tac white bread mono-divisional trend. Shoot open, shoot heavy, shoot limited, try the divisions out, you just may find that you where not meant to shoot with the pack. Celebrate and promote diversity in shooting.

No advantage to open? I would think that this would of turned out different if that was fully true:

2012_smm3g_Results_Top_15.pdf ;)

JMHO,

Chuck

Do the points results compare across divisions, or are the points only calculated by division results then the points listed for over all?

It looks like they calculated over divisions. Taran had more points in T/S than he had in the combined results.

No advantage to open? I would think that this would of turned out different if that was fully true:

JMHO,

Chuck

Only 5 stage wins for open guys, 2 were all shotgun (6, 10) a shocker there, Stage 4 was 10 pistol, 19 shotgun and Stage 11 was 6 pistol and 16 shotgun. The difference is the shotgun. If the rules allowed Tac to have more than 9 at the start the outcome might have been different.

Edited by TMC

As a limited and heavy metal shooter, I have nothing but support for those that buck the norm of scope tac. There should be a place for all of us to shoot within reason, and all the open weenies (Like Doug) should be allowed to use the fancy go fast gizmos. Some prefer oysters and some prefer snails. We should fight against the oppression of the one scope tac division. Rise up my brothers in shooting diversity and oppose the evil scope tac white bread mono-divisional trend. Shoot open, shoot heavy, shoot limited, try the divisions out, you just may find that you where not meant to shoot with the pack. Celebrate and promote diversity in shooting.

The best reason the to shoot in a different division is if you're in the bottom half of open you have to wait for 20 shooters to get your goodie bag off the prize table rather than 100 if you're in the bottom half of tac scope. It also helps beating the traffic jam out of the range. LOL.

The best reason the to shoot in a different division is if you're in the bottom half of open you have to wait for 20 shooters to get your goodie bag off the prize table rather than 100 if you're in the bottom half of tac scope. It also helps beating the traffic jam out of the range. LOL.

Great point! Shooting TS gear at a match in Open, I was shocked my name was called so soon. If you are in TS, shooting crappy, slap a bi-pod on, get bumped to open, get to leave earlier, maybe even with a better prize. :roflol:

Great point! Shooting TS gear at a match in Open, I was shocked my name was called so soon. If you are in TS, shooting crappy, slap a bi-pod on, get bumped to open, get to leave earlier, maybe even with a better prize. :roflol:

you leave earlier, cause there are no prizes.

Right on!

JMHO,

Chuck

Only 5 stage wins for open guys, 2 were all shotgun (6, 10) a shocker there, Stage 4 was 10 pistol, 19 shotgun and Stage 11 was 6 pistol and 16 shotgun. The difference is the shotgun. If the rules allowed Tac to have more than 9 at the start the outcome might have been different.

From just my past year of shooting 3gun, I find that "Bay" type matches cater more to the Tact Optic's crowed. Specially SMM3G, Where 99% of pistol targets were within 15 feet and being full size Metric IPSC targets.

While I agree with everything that outerlimits said, the differences between open and TS are disappearing, I will only shoot open, not just for the fancy go fast gizmos, but because I really suck at anything with Iron sights. :sick: Its fun for me, to shoot open, and thats all that really matters. :D

Dave

I think Open will get bigger and maybe even add other divisions.

I was talking with a gentleman at the SMM3G banquet who has shot every SMM3G and plenty of the old SOF matches, he usually shoots Heavy Metal Scoped as irons just don't work so well for him anymore. He proposed the idea of a Heavy Metal Open division and I think it would be a blast. We both said we would shoot it if HMOpen happens. Just trying to figure out some parameters and level of interest for it.

The firearms must be .308 or larger for rifle, high cap .45 or larger for handgun and 12ga or larger for shotgun, 10ga anyone?

Should it go full blown open across all three guns or still have a slight element of "torture" to it?

Such as hi-cap/double stack .45 for handgun, comp allowed, no mag round limit but iron sights only for the handgun.... Or should it be a full blown race gun?

Non-speed loader semi-auto tube fed shotguns instead of pump or should it allow a raced out box mag shotgun? Or maybe a red dot allowed on a tac limited style semi shotgun instead, 10 +1 capacity to start?

I think the rifle should be .308, 30/06 or bigger, no limits except for no full auto. I'd love to see somebody run something crazy like a BAR on the course and see 50 round drums on AR-308s and on M1As.

The main reason for my hesitation in not making all the firearms full blown open across the board is I would like to see people have a chance of being competitive with some of the equipment they may already own without having to buy 3 new guns at 3k+ each for an oddball division.

Yes, I know it would be a small division to start but what HM division isn't? What do you think? Would you shoot it? What do you think the limitations, if any, should be?

While I agree with everything that outerlimits said, the differences between open and TS are disappearing, I will only shoot open, not just for the fancy go fast gizmos, but because I really suck at anything with Iron sights. :sick: Its fun for me, to shoot open, and thats all that really matters. :D

Dave

4 years ago I would have agreed with you. It wasn't unheard of for the top TS shooter to finish better than the top Open shooter. Now that mag fed shotguns are bit more available there are some pretty significant differences between the Divisions. If you get one that runs, it's hard to beat a mag gun. Xrails are also a definite change in the field.

Side mounted red dots are much more common on the rifle now. Not a huge deal but I find mine a bit quicker than my Deuck RTS sights.

As for the pistol I'm seeing a lot more 4" plates set up as handgun targets. I'm quite a bit quicker trying to hit one at 20 yards with a dot than I am iron sights.

The individual match flavor will have a lot to do with how much of a difference there is between divisions.

And to answer Butch's opening question...NO