Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Workout Routine for 3 gunners/USPSA shooters

thekman24

Hey all,

My buddies and I weight lift pretty much everyday. We also compete in local 3 gun matches and occational USPSA matches. We were wondering what weight training/workouts we should do to improve our performance. I'm not looking for answers like reloading practice or weapon manipulation practice, those are obvious.

Thanks in advance

Hey all,

My buddies and I weight lift pretty much everyday. We also compete in local 3 gun matches and occational USPSA matches. We were wondering what weight training/workouts we should do to improve our performance. I'm not looking for answers like reloading practice or weapon manipulation practice, those are obvious.

Thanks in advance

Any improvement you can make to your chest, back, shoulders and arms would be great as far as recoil absorption. I have put on 20 lbs worth of muscle from where I was when I was racing bicycles professionally and I can tell a significant difference as far as recoil control.

That being said, any and all core work is crucial as we can put ourselves in some pretty unique positions and being limber so you don't wrench yourself hopping out of some prone position.

In addition to building bulk, I build in some serious running every other day. Makes a huge difference.

But unfortunately, there isn't going to be anything specific like weight trainig.

Hey all,

Thanks in advance

I have been running about 20 to 24 miles a week but that was too lose weight in addition to building better endurance for three gun.

Pat

Any type of agility exercises would be good. The type of suff that we all did in highschool when warming up during football practice. We dont really have 3gun around here so I do mostly uspsa pistol, but the one of the biggest advantages that I have over other shooters is that Im very light and quick on my feet. When shooting a stage I never really have to think about moving because its so natural for me that I can focus on everything else that I need to be doing during a stage.

Running has to be the easiest, all around workout for multiple reasons. It builds core muscles, leg muscles, endurance, and weight loss. Work on sprints for speed training. We do lots of quick bursts of energy, more than we do endurance, but it helps to have both. :)

Edited by Chris Keen

3 gun is still not quite in full swing here, but this is what I do to stay in shape.

3 to 5 mile run for the lungs, heart, mind.

Various styles of squats or sprinting for some explosive movement.

Arm excercises. I do a rotation of chest/triceps, back/biceps, and shoulders.

Situps and plank pushups for core strength.

Stretching arms,legs, and core.

Works for me. YMMV

Try Insanity. It's a great combo of agility and endurance with a focus on explosive strength. I noticed a huge

difference after my first cycle. Now I do weight lifting in between cycles so I can build muscle and then put it to use.

I am thinking whatever Taran does suits me too.

Washboard abs get their lunch handed to them all the time.

On a more serious note any all around fitness routine that improves endurance over the course of a 3 or 4 day match would be great.

Patrick

You'll find a number of us on here like CrossFit for our general physical fitness preparations. Most CrossFit workouts involve some kind of barbell, dumbell, or kettlebell movement, done at a fast pace. It will prepare you for basically any general physical challenge. Add in some occasional sprint work (in that it's a sport specific skill) and some time on an agility ladder (improves footwork, balance, coordination), and you've got everything that you need. There's a long thread on the forum, and you can read what I've written about it as it applies to our game here: http://re-gun.com/category/fitness/crossfit/

Some other top level shooters that use it? Shannon Smith (current US Limited champion), Athena Lee, Julie Golob, Jake Divita....

I am thinking whatever Taran does suits me too.

Washboard abs get their lunch handed to them all the time.

Physical fitness helps a lot... but it doesn't make up for skill behind the gun... cheers.gif

I have been playing alot of basketball the last couple of months. I have noticed that I can change direction, sprint, and move my body a little better/quicker. Because of the baby, I am limited to 3 times a week for an hour or so each time.

I've started mixing some PT and actual shooting in the same session. I do shuttle runs and then go directly into a rifle or pistol drill. Reset and paste for a quick break and then do another rep. It's helping me deal with the adrenaline rush better.

I've started mixing some PT and actual shooting in the same session. I do shuttle runs and then go directly into a rifle or pistol drill. Reset and paste for a quick break and then do another rep. It's helping me deal with the adrenaline rush better.

This probably the most ideal, If you look at all the bigger 3gun matches this year, Most will have you doing a anaerobic event (running, climbing over objects) just prior to jumping on a rifle with Long shots, which causes the heart rate to spike up. The better you can control this the less "bounce" you have to worry about in your scope.

Not to knock Taran, because the guy is a BEAST! but he does tend to stay away from matches that are more of a physical challenge. (ie. BRM3G, RM3G, and Ironman.)

To the OP, its really not a easy question, I say continue the program your on and start adding in muscle flexibly training. More times then not your going to find yourself in less then optimal shooting positions, being able to get in, stay relaxed, and able to get out of them will shave a lot of time. Also a good breathing exercise would be helpful, I see to many people get to excited during movement and tend to want to breath through their mouths, this is a bad thing as this makes the heart Spike even faster, so being able to breath through your nose even while sprinting is what I suggest. If your trying to control recoil by "muscling" it, then you should probably work on technique instead.

Edited by DocMedic

Hey all,

Thanks in advance

If you are looking to improve your speed of movement then I would look to work muscles that help you do so. Explosive leg exercises like squats and sprints will help with all aspects of accelerating and decelerating, but also use something like side plank leg raises to get the outside leg muscles (for side-to-side accel/decel). I would definitely bench press and chest fly for your pecs for holding the gun (assuming isosceles stance of some kind), and grip work for recoil control. I would also do core rotational exercises to speed up and strengthen the turret-like use of your body for transitions and shooting stages.

General footwork and agility drills are also very helpful to increase your foot-speed and balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Because you and your friends are already lifting weights regularly I would suggest doing a plyometrics day once a week or so. Doing some of the jumping plyometrics will help with your explosiveness and allow you to transition faster. Plyometric push-ups will also help with recoil control because you can really work your serratus anterior.

With the weight training, making sure you have a good balance of push vs. pull workouts is also very beneficial.