Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun ideas for 2013

Resjudicata

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm concerned they should have left the rules the way they were. The rules only benefit a few shooters and the 6" parts manufacurers & gunsmiths. IMHO if you can't shoot with a 5" a 6" will not help. Sight trackers have been around many years, they were used in bowling pin shoots when this sport was a big thing. If I were going to build a 6" sight tracker I would just build a new top end for my open gun and not waste the money on a 6" dust cover lower end and find out like most will that it was a waste of money to build a 6". All USPSA is doing is turning Limited into Open 40. Next you will see comps or poppels allowed. I'll just continue to shoot Open 38SC, L-10 & SS (40 S&W). Look at what 9mm major has accomplished nothing other than taking a cartridge to the ragged edge and beyond.

If you think building a 6" is a waste of time and money, what's wrong with letting your competition do so?

I am going to build a limited pistol out of parts. None of this sissy pay someone way to much to build my pistol *cough brazos* . I should be able to come up with something between an edge and one of the brazos ltd guns in 40 sw. If nothing else I can save on the 11% federal excise tax buying things as parts...

I want a threaded barrel for my Glock 24 and to somehow screw something on the end I can mount a sight too. Longer sight radius cheap ass sight tracker. Where can I send it for someone to build that up for me this offseason?

waktasz:

All you have to do is get a bald comp (uncut)Screw it onto a threaded barrel & mount the front sight on the bald comp. A good gunsmith can do that. Only question remaining is USPSA going to look at the bald comp as a weight rather than an extension to the barrel? That's what I plan on doing for a limited top end for my open 2011. I already have the 40 slide & sights. Just need a new threaded barrel & bald alum. comp. It will be just as good as a sight tracker, lighter, & much cheaper.

Edited by 40S&W

Ya have to remember, there are a few out there that are shooting what appears to be the same gun as before with a different name engraved on the slide.

wg

Ha, that was way out there....I must have hit something with my thumbs....Don't know where that was intended for, I think one of the sponsored shooter threads..

wg

I want a threaded barrel for my Glock 24 and to somehow screw something on the end I can mount a sight too. Longer sight radius cheap ass sight tracker. Where can I send it for someone to build that up for me this offseason?

waktasz:

All you have to do is get a bald comp (uncut)Screw it onto a threaded barrel & mount the front sight on the bald comp. A good gunsmith can do that. Only question remaining is USPSA going to look at the bald comp as a weight rather than an extension to the barrel? That's what I plan on doing for a limited top end for my open 2011. I already have the 40 slide & sights. Just need a new threaded barrel & bald alum. comp. It will be just as good as a sight tracker, lighter, & much cheaper.

Even if it is considered a weight I thought that was OK for 2013.

waktasz:

I don't see how they could consider it a weight and still allow a Tru-sight, which has been USPSA approved and is basically the same thing. (FYI, I think the rulings approving them and Sight -trackers were bad calls.)

FYI, if you submit it as a question to get a ruling, I'd avoid mentioning the word "weight" and instead call it something like an "extended front sight mount" or a "sight radius extension."

Edited by mpolans

My dad has an old single stack "pin" gun he used at 1980 (I think) IPSC Nationals. I talked to him last night, maybe I will play with it in L10 next year. Then again after talking to him last night, I may have to fight him for it. :devil:

Let me throw my idea in the arena ...

bald slide with major lighten cuts and a scope mount/rail mounted to the frame with iron sights mounted to mount/rail; so the sights doesn't move just the slide...

Edited by RippSpeed

Let me throw my idea in the arena ...

bald slide with major lighten cuts and a scope mount/rail mounted to the frame with iron sights mounted to mount/rail; so the sights doesn't move just the slide...

Yep that had been my idea too. Non-moving front sight and the barrel length and sight radius are decoupled. I got the idea from my high standard victor.

I agree with co-exprs, this could get out of hand. If we start allowing blank compensators, sights fixed to the frame, gas pedals, etc., you have just created another version of open class. So why not just shoot open.

I think we should leave Limited as it was intended, where off the shelf guns can be competitive. Right now, a 6" custom limited gun might have a very slight advantage over an off the shelf Para, STI, Glock, etc. but it is very minimal.

Just my opinion.

I agree with co-exprs, this could get out of hand. If we start allowing blank compensators, sights fixed to the frame, gas pedals, etc., you have just created another version of open class. So why not just shoot open.

I think we should leave Limited as it was intended, where off the shelf guns can be competitive. Right now, a 6" custom limited gun might have a very slight advantage over an off the shelf Para, STI, Glock, etc. but it is very minimal.

Just my opinion.

Umm... We already do allow blank comps (in a specific configuration) since about 2006, STI used to make a pistol called the trusight that had exactly that. http://www.uspsa.org/rules/nroi_rulings.php?action=edit&indx=24

I wonder if someone will try to perfect a gas operated fix barrel 1911? Could be the ultimate sight tracker.

I would be surprised if someone didn't.

Umm... We already do allow blank comps (in a specific configuration) since about 2006, STI used to make a pistol called the trusight that had exactly that. http://www.uspsa.org/rules/nroi_rulings.php?action=edit&indx=24

So it would be legal for me to get a blank comp and put on my 5" gun right now? If so, that might be my next project. Might be nice to have the sight radius of a 7" gun.

So it would be legal for me to get a blank comp and put on my 5" gun right now? If so, that might be my next project. Might be nice to have the sight radius of a 7" gun.

Nope, only that specific configuration would currently be legal(at least the way I read that ruling)... But next year I would think that if nothing changes yes it would be.

• 5 months later...

I apologize for bumping an old thread, but I didn't see any that superseded this. Has it been determined whether blank comps would be allowed to hold the front sight? (It is easy to imagine a 2" comp being considered a weight, even compared to the small trusight sight holder) How about an un-ported 6" Schuemann barrel in a 5" frame, with the front sight on the barrel? I just acquired a Para P18-9 from a friend, and I wonder if it could be economically made into a hot limited gun.

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by Porsche320