Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun ideas for 2013

Resjudicata

I regret selling the Bar-Sto 6 inch upper for the Glock 21......

Might consider building a 40 on the Glock 21 platform, using a Tactical or 6 inch Lonewolf G20 slide, and a barrel chambered for 40.....

See if that's softer shooting that G-35.....

I have a G20 with a lone wolf 6" slide (slide with cutout and .40 barrel). There isn't a softer limited gun out there, it's not for everyone though.

I have the G20 with the LW 6" with out the cut out and a KKM .40 barrel. It runs and ejects OK with a 13 lbs recoil spring but I think it will do better after slide lightening. It isn't for everyone, but what recoil? It's amazing!

Having had the Bar-Sto 6" .45 upper, and remembering that it's cycle time could be measured on a sundial, I'd probably try for the Tactical length slide....

Should still be soft, and I bet I could get that to run...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a 6" slide but only 5 inches of it reciprocates? STI TruSight but 6" barrel.....getting awefully close to a weight at the end of the muzzle though...

That would be interesting

why not something like this ??? Minus the comp of course ... I was gonna have Jimmy Vidanes @ 1911 Speed Shop in Riverside;make this for me... But in 45acp; just for kicks and my own personal amusement; on a 6" tactical frame...

what would you call that type of slide/action? i have never seen anything like that.

How about a 6" slide but only 5 inches of it reciprocates? STI TruSight but 6" barrel.....getting awefully close to a weight at the end of the muzzle though...

That would be interesting

why not something like this ??? Minus the comp of course ... I was gonna have Jimmy Vidanes @ 1911 Speed Shop in Riverside;make this for me... But in 45acp; just for kicks and my own personal amusement; on a 6" tactical frame...

what would you call that type of slide/action? i have never seen anything like that.

It looks like an STI or SVI slide and frame. Without the polymer grip attached.

Chris

I've already got my smith working on a 6" SightTracker with a Long Wide frame. I'll lighten the heck out of the slide and barrel, but leave the frame heavy. I might remove frame weight as well at some point but I figure it's worth keeping it there to start.

To be honest the topic of 7 and 8 inch guns came up when this was discussed. They've been tried before without great success. I'd be curious to see what smiths can do these days. Good catch on the *thumb rest [generic]*. To be honest I hadn't even considered it. I just started using them on my open guns. I might have to send one of those down as well. This is gonna be fun.

i have had 6" sightrackers built and have seen and used some crazy stuff from IPSC and other prototypestandard/Limited guns.

the next few guns my gunsmith will be building me is a regular 5" bull barrel gun : )

but i would love to see other peoples ideas :cheers:

Edited by ogiebb

Ok, I'm a single stack guy at heart, so forgive me as I stir the pot... :devil:

but from the sounds of the rule change, I could be running an AR pistol in 9mm or 40. WIth a magpul angled for grip (does NOT make it an AOW from what I read).... Long sight radius, huge magwell, could tuck that carbine tube into a shoulder for long shots, and I could totally mod a ghost holster into something that would work.

but from the sounds of the rule change, I could be running an AR pistol in 9mm or 40. WIth a magpul angled for grip (does NOT make it an AOW from what I read).... Long sight radius, huge magwell, could tuck that carbine tube into a shoulder for long shots, and I could totally mod a ghost holster into something that would work.

I was about to ask about availability/capacity of 170mm mags, but the Lone Wolf G9 solves that problem. It's an AR lower built to take 9/40/357sig/45GAP glock mags. They don't have 40 uppers yet, but they're working on it; maybe they'll be out for the 2013 season. Has anyone tried this in Open?

Hmmm.... an open build. That might be crazy enough to work. It also looks like you could get 9mm running major since you have so much extra barrel to gain speed, while using regular power (i.e. factory) ammo. plus a pretty amazing comp and a nice little AR scope.

Or would I be "That Guy"?

I think rule 5.1.10 would prevent the angled fore grip.

What I think we are going to see are mostly just un-comped iron sighted versions of Open guns. Which is really what Limited should be. We may see some oddball things show up. But, for the most part it'll be kinda tame.

I do want to try a thumb rest to see how well that helps with sight tracking/ recoil and whether it would be detrimental at all.

Chris

Edited by Resjudicata

Hmmm.... an open build. That might be crazy enough to work. It also looks like you could get 9mm running major since you have so much extra barrel to gain speed, while using regular power (i.e. factory) ammo. plus a pretty amazing comp and a nice little AR scope.

Or would I be "That Guy"?

You will still have to use 40 cal or bigger to make major PF. And, no comp or scope. This is Limited Division after-all. :ph34r:

Chris

I was about to ask about availability/capacity of 170mm mags, but the Lone Wolf G9 solves that problem. It's an AR lower built to take 9/40/357sig/45GAP glock mags. They don't have 40 uppers yet, but they're working on it; maybe they'll be out for the 2013 season. Has anyone tried this in Open?

Still only 140mm mags for Limited Division. So, you would not get any kind of capacity advantage there.

I'm sure we will still see someone come up with a quad stack 40/38 super mag that expands out below the grip one of these days. It just takes someone with the creativity to figure out the problem and solve it.

Chris

I've already got my smith working on a 6" SightTracker with a Long Wide frame. I'll lighten the heck out of the slide and barrel, but leave the frame heavy. I might remove frame weight as well at some point but I figure it's worth keeping it there to start.

To be honest the topic of 7 and 8 inch guns came up when this was discussed. They've been tried before without great success. I'd be curious to see what smiths can do these days. Good catch on the *thumb rest [generic]*. To be honest I hadn't even considered it. I just started using them on my open guns. I might have to send one of those down as well. This is gonna be fun.

I for one is kinda hesitant on using a thumb rest (*thumb rest [generic]*) ... because I wouldnt have one on my HD pistol. But, I am interested in testing one out because I've never tried it... Once my open top end is built I'll try it out and see if I like it... If I do I'll try it on my Limited gun if it works for me...

Edited by RippSpeed

RippSpeed,

what if you really like the thumb rest and then decide to put on on the HD pistol? I'm all for using what works, and I love shooting a 1911 with that big ol' safety acting like a *thumb rest [generic]*. Plus I have one of those on my HD/Carry 1911s so it works out all around...

Still only 140mm mags for Limited Division. So, you would not get any kind of capacity advantage there.

I'm sure we will still see someone come up with a quad stack 40/38 super mag that expands out below the grip one of these days. It just takes someone with the creativity to figure out the problem and solve it.

Chris

That was a brain fart, I meant 140mm. The only mags I could find for the more typical 9mm AR conversions were either 10 rounders or big 30ish round stick mags that appear to be bigger than 170, let alone 140. The Glock magwell lets you use all the stuff already out there for limited and open glock mags.

Taking into account current thinking on six-inch guns and weight factors, something I always wanted to see if it would work given sufficient time, funds and gunsmithing/machinist capability:

Six inch long wide frame, STI or SV doesn't matter

Six inch bushing barrel

5 inch lightened full profile slide

Custom pivot block pinned/screwed? attached to front of dust cover with pivot ring ala Briley bushing profiled to match slide, steel or aluminum (titanium?) depending on how you wanted the gun to balance. Front sight mounted on block.

Rest of gun built with current or 2013 state of the art goodies

I'm thinking it would mash up most of the current best working mods/theories and the only drawback or bug would be getting the pivot block fitted/attached so that it wouldn't move when attached but not so permanent that it wouldn't be able to be readily removed so you could get the rest of the gun apart for cleaning. Might have to have a small cone at the rear of the pivot block to mate with the front of the slide at lock-up. It should be fairly accurate since the front of the barrel would always be supported, and would move in the pivot ring only the short amount at link-down. And reliability should be increased as the slide would only be riding on the frame rails since it would only touch the barrel at the hood and lugs at lock-up. Five inch slide means five inch recoil system with a Dawson Tool-less giude rod and a hole drilled in the bottom of the dust cover to push on the lever.

Hmmmm...mebbe I oughta sell whatever else I can and build this thing....

Taking into account current thinking on six-inch guns and weight factors, something I always wanted to see if it would work given sufficient time, funds and gunsmithing/machinist capability:

Six inch long wide frame, STI or SV doesn't matter

Six inch bushing barrel

5 inch lightened full profile slide

Custom pivot block pinned/screwed? attached to front of dust cover with pivot ring ala Briley bushing profiled to match slide, steel or aluminum (titanium?) depending on how you wanted the gun to balance. Front sight mounted on block.

Rest of gun built with current or 2013 state of the art goodies

I'm thinking it would mash up most of the current best working mods/theories and the only drawback or bug would be getting the pivot block fitted/attached so that it wouldn't move when attached but not so permanent that it wouldn't be able to be readily removed so you could get the rest of the gun apart for cleaning. Might have to have a small cone at the rear of the pivot block to mate with the front of the slide at lock-up. It should be fairly accurate since the front of the barrel would always be supported, and would move in the pivot ring only the short amount at link-down. And reliability should be increased as the slide would only be riding on the frame rails since it would only touch the barrel at the hood and lugs at lock-up. Five inch slide means five inch recoil system with a Dawson Tool-less giude rod and a hole drilled in the bottom of the dust cover to push on the lever.

Hmmmm...mebbe I oughta sell whatever else I can and build this thing....

The Comminolli (sp?) system does this for a 5" barrel. It is specifically approved right now. Personally, I would rather have your set up. I think this is probably the best overall. Though, I may try it with a shorter slide than 5". Maybe a 4" with 2" block out front holding the 6" barrel.

Chris

I was wondering, which rule will be followed during 2014 world shoot, IPSC or USPSA?

With USPSA handgun changes on 2013, I bet it has a big impact during an international event, unless USPSA rules applied.

It's the IPSC World Shoot. IPSC rules will be followed, to the letter.