Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun ideas for 2013

Resjudicata

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it doesn't have a comp, doesn't have an optic, doesn't have a magazine longer than 141.25 mm and shoots a .40 caliber bullet to make major you can do it. 5" slide with a 9" barrel with a weight hanging off the end, *thumb rest [generic]*, tungsten mag well, don't care, do what you think will make you win. I'm guessing the 2013 Lim Nationals will be won with a gun that looks an awful lot like the one that won this year.

If it doesn't have a comp, doesn't have an optic, doesn't have a magazine longer than 141.25 mm and shoots a .40 caliber bullet to make major you can do it. 5" slide with a 9" barrel with a weight hanging off the end, *thumb rest [generic]*, tungsten mag well, don't care, do what you think will make you win. I'm guessing the 2013 Lim Nationals will be won with a gun that looks an awful lot like the one that won this year.

This.

I'll put $10 on it.

I wonder if someone will try to perfect a gas operated fix barrel 1911? Could be the ultimate sight tracker.

This has been done already. Friend has one, although it's an open gun, not a limited/sight tracker. It's gas operated built on an SV frame and slide.

I wonder if someone will try to perfect a gas operated fix barrel 1911? Could be the ultimate sight tracker.

This has been done already. Friend has one, although it's an open gun, not a limited/sight tracker. It's gas operated built on an SV frame and slide.

I think Fred Craig built one.

• 2 months later...

Okay people. It's 2013. I want to see if anyone has actually built anything different. :goof:

Probably not.

I'm looking at an old 5" slide on my work bench at the moment. I think it needs to be cut up for a 2013 special Limited Division topend. :ph34r:

Chris

Yep, actually shot mine in Open in November at a club match. Actually shot my highest Open classifier score with it. 6" tribrid .40, lightened slide and now wearing a *thumb rest [generic]*.

That's great. Have you posted photos somewhere?

What do you think of the thumbrest? Does it help sight return without causing you to steer overly much?

Chris

I finally got around to taking pics this last weekend but haven't had a chance to post. The *thumb rest [generic]* is interesting. I have not had enough time to get fully used to it. I did a test a couple weeks ago. Another guy and I shot a bunch of guns to see what the "best" one was. He had some real difficulties taking the safety off on the gun with the *thumb rest [generic]*. I still need to sit down with a calculator to figure out the data. Subjectively I liked the new gun the best and thought it had the best handling characteristics, except on drills where I needed to reload. I've never practiced that with the pedal and it took a bit of time to reaquire the grip.

Here is a pic of the setup I've been running since 2000 (this was my backup bought in 2004 but hardly shot). New one is built by M2i Custom, Schuemann Tribrid barrel, *thumb rest [generic]*, L/W dust cover, and Extreme Shooters grip.

Chuck,

If you don't mind, can you post picture of the other side of the M2i Custom as well the top ?

As always, Matt's work is masterpiece...

Thanks.

Cape Custom. (David McGonigal)

Same gunsmith who did the magwell. The Button is much better than any others I have tried, including the 'mainstream favorites' It is small enough to not interfere with regular gun handling, it does not catch on anything at all (no checkering or strange cuts in it) and it is a lot more ergonomic than most. I did not have to make any alterations in grip to dump a mag. And the best part is no accidental mag dumps either.

David was good enough to make notes when I had my hand on the gun, and this is what he came up with. If there is enough interest, I'm sure he would make a few others.

Build includes: Aftec Extractor, W Guiderod and Wolff 12lb Variable RS, 22LB Mainspring, SS Mainspring HSG (not shown) SVI Long Flat Trigger (Not installed yet) Extreme Engineering Warpspeed trigger set to my request of 2lb2oz, Dawson front sight.

Parts that Dave has built for me:

416 SS Cape Magwell (I like weight in the handle for balance)

SS Magrelease

Custom 416SS Hammer

Custom locating pins (keeps the action properly aligned)

6 SS Magbases for the 140mm mags.

Machined slide to lower the rear sight (IPSC Box Rule @#$)@#!)

And just a general cleanup of the gun, Undercut TG etc

Yes it looks quite mild compared to some, but that is EXACTLY what I wanted.... a WOLF in sheeps' clothing :)

Edited by Got Juice?

Here is a pic of the setup I've been running since 2000 (this was my backup bought in 2004 but hardly shot). New one is built by M2i Custom, Schuemann Tribrid barrel, *thumb rest [generic]*, L/W dust cover, and Extreme Shooters grip.

Hey Chuck;

are you having issues racking your slide ???

I usually like racking the slide by grabing the front of the slide. But, with the thumb rest gets in the way ...

I had the gun for less than five minutes. (I was still in the post office parking lot) when I started bleeding on it. The lightening cuts up front in conjunction with the Tribrid barrel make for a very sharp surface. I've usually racking the back of the slide but I figured I'd try the front on this one since I had them put the serrations up there to try. I won't be doing that again. Short answer, dunno.

• 6 months later...

How about an un-ported 6" Schuemann barrel in a 5" frame, with the front sight on the barrel?

very doable!!!! but is there enough at the end of a 5" slide for proper "lockup"?

thanks

I guess its a little late, but here is proof of your concept. I had SV put a 5.4" barrel in my 5" sight tracker pistol. you have to specially ask for 5" lock up dimensions, but it definitely works.

post-33893-0-49701900-1375723098_thumb.j

• 11 months later...

Cape Custom. (David McGonigal)

Same gunsmith who did the magwell. The Button is much better than any others I have tried, including the 'mainstream favorites' It is small enough to not interfere with regular gun handling, it does not catch on anything at all (no checkering or strange cuts in it) and it is a lot more ergonomic than most. I did not have to make any alterations in grip to dump a mag. And the best part is no accidental mag dumps either.

David was good enough to make notes when I had my hand on the gun, and this is what he came up with. If there is enough interest, I'm sure he would make a few others.

Build includes: Aftec Extractor, W Guiderod and Wolff 12lb Variable RS, 22LB Mainspring, SS Mainspring HSG (not shown) SVI Long Flat Trigger (Not installed yet) Extreme Engineering Warpspeed trigger set to my request of 2lb2oz, Dawson front sight.

Parts that Dave has built for me:

416 SS Cape Magwell (I like weight in the handle for balance)

SS Magrelease

Custom 416SS Hammer

Custom locating pins (keeps the action properly aligned)

6 SS Magbases for the 140mm mags.

Machined slide to lower the rear sight (IPSC Box Rule @#$)@#!)

And just a general cleanup of the gun, Undercut TG etc

Yes it looks quite mild compared to some, but that is EXACTLY what I wanted.... a WOLF in sheeps' clothing :)

Dave didn't make the magwell or the Stainless magbases. I made them and still haven't been paid by Dave McGonigal! He owes me $19,000.00 If you deal with him don't give him any money upfront. Get your parts and your work completed, then pay him. He is a thief....

• 2 weeks later...

Remember, just don't use the "w" word. It's not a weight, it's a "sight holder." If the Tru-sight is allowed, I don't see how they can deny it...frankly, I think this points out how poor a ruling it was to allow sight trackers and tru-sights.