Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun ideas for 2013

Resjudicata

I was wondering, which rule will be followed during 2014 world shoot, IPSC or USPSA?

With USPSA handgun changes on 2013, I bet it has a big impact during an international event, unless USPSA rules applied.

It's the IPSC World Shoot. IPSC rules will be followed, to the letter.

Which means your Standard gun will still have to fit in the box, a 5# Production minimum trigger pull, magnets still allowed in Production unless any of these were changes for 2012 and going forward.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking into account current thinking on six-inch guns and weight factors, something I always wanted to see if it would work given sufficient time, funds and gunsmithing/machinist capability:

Six inch long wide frame, STI or SV doesn't matter

Six inch bushing barrel

5 inch lightened full profile slide

Custom pivot block pinned/screwed? attached to front of dust cover with pivot ring ala Briley bushing profiled to match slide, steel or aluminum (titanium?) depending on how you wanted the gun to balance. Front sight mounted on block.

Rest of gun built with current or 2013 state of the art goodies

I'm thinking it would mash up most of the current best working mods/theories and the only drawback or bug would be getting the pivot block fitted/attached so that it wouldn't move when attached but not so permanent that it wouldn't be able to be readily removed so you could get the rest of the gun apart for cleaning. Might have to have a small cone at the rear of the pivot block to mate with the front of the slide at lock-up. It should be fairly accurate since the front of the barrel would always be supported, and would move in the pivot ring only the short amount at link-down. And reliability should be increased as the slide would only be riding on the frame rails since it would only touch the barrel at the hood and lugs at lock-up. Five inch slide means five inch recoil system with a Dawson Tool-less giude rod and a hole drilled in the bottom of the dust cover to push on the lever.

Hmmmm...mebbe I oughta sell whatever else I can and build this thing....

Yep, I've actually seen that concept done before. Bullseye gun with old tube optic.

RippSpeed,

what if you really like the thumb rest and then decide to put on on the HD pistol? I'm all for using what works, and I love shooting a 1911 with that big ol' safety acting like a *thumb rest [generic]*. Plus I have one of those on my HD/Carry 1911s so it works out all around...

I currently shoot an STI Edge w/ a SV Infinity extra wide thumb safety but what I meant to say was about those front pedal thumb rest...

but for some reason the post gets edited everytime you say g a s pedal

Edited by RippSpeed

Taking into account current thinking on six-inch guns and weight factors, something I always wanted to see if it would work given sufficient time, funds and gunsmithing/machinist capability:

Six inch long wide frame, STI or SV doesn't matter

Six inch bushing barrel

5 inch lightened full profile slide

Custom pivot block pinned/screwed? attached to front of dust cover with pivot ring ala Briley bushing profiled to match slide, steel or aluminum (titanium?) depending on how you wanted the gun to balance. Front sight mounted on block.

Rest of gun built with current or 2013 state of the art goodies

I'm thinking it would mash up most of the current best working mods/theories and the only drawback or bug would be getting the pivot block fitted/attached so that it wouldn't move when attached but not so permanent that it wouldn't be able to be readily removed so you could get the rest of the gun apart for cleaning. Might have to have a small cone at the rear of the pivot block to mate with the front of the slide at lock-up. It should be fairly accurate since the front of the barrel would always be supported, and would move in the pivot ring only the short amount at link-down. And reliability should be increased as the slide would only be riding on the frame rails since it would only touch the barrel at the hood and lugs at lock-up. Five inch slide means five inch recoil system with a Dawson Tool-less giude rod and a hole drilled in the bottom of the dust cover to push on the lever.

Hmmmm...mebbe I oughta sell whatever else I can and build this thing....

The Comminolli (sp?) system does this for a 5" barrel. It is specifically approved right now. Personally, I would rather have your set up. I think this is probably the best overall. Though, I may try it with a shorter slide than 5". Maybe a 4" with 2" block out front holding the 6" barrel.

Chris

Well I was pretty sure my concept wasn't all that original and you and want2race confirmed it. A four inch slide would certainly save a lot of lightening cuts and it could still have a five inch recoil system. I was thinking that with all that dust cover weight out front and a one inch block the gun should have a neutral balance. A two inch block would certainly add the weight up front for those who like their guns set up that way.

I was wondering, which rule will be followed during 2014 world shoot, IPSC or USPSA?

With USPSA handgun changes on 2013, I bet it has a big impact during an international event, unless USPSA rules applied.

Thank you. Something to consider before im going all out.

On the second pic of the open gun I posted by Jimmy Vidanes ... Its actually a 6.25" pistol ... The slide is a milled 5" to a 4" still uses a 5" recoil system and uses a commander barrel.

question why would a 4" slide be more beneficial than a 6" slide with a lightening cuts ??? The way Jimmy did it looked pretty radical and love that pistol but I didnt like the short barrel being used... I was going to stay with the 6" barrel and do a sight tracker with 6" slide with lightening cuts. So I could still have the added barrel lenght to gain velocity and maybe lower the powder charge for less recoil and snap...

Edited by RippSpeed

Thank you. Something to consider before im going all out.

Just dont get rid of your 5" pistol ... Save that for IPSC because 6" pistols would not fit in the box and throw you into open class

On the second pic of the open gun I posted by Jimmy Vidanes ... Its actually a 6.25" pistol ... The slide is a milled 5" to a 4" still uses a 5" recoil system and uses a commander barrel.

question why would a 4" slide be more beneficial than a 6" slide with a lightening cuts ??? The way Jimmy did it looked pretty radical and love that pistol but I didnt like the short barrel being used... I was going to stay with the 6" barrel and do a sight tracker with 6" slide with lightening cuts. So I could still have the added barrel lenght to gain velocity and maybe lower the powder charge for less recoil and snap...

What I'm talking about is using a 6" barrel, 4" slide and a 2" mounting block attached to the frame that holds the front of the barrel and also is where the front sight mounts. The mounting block would make it look like there is a 6" slide but it doesn't cycle with the slide. It stays in place during cycling. The barrel passes through the front site block so you can use the longer barrel length.

This gives you the benefit of the 6" sight radius, extra bullet velocity and a light slide without slide cuts some of which leave the internals open to the elements.

Chris

What I'm interested in is micro switches, solenoid activated sears etc. My last paintball marker was easily capable of 20 shots per second. Electrically activated mechanical sear.

I'm thinking solenoid activated fire control might be easier to engineer on a striker fired gun; the only way to make room for it on a 1911 based platform would be a full length replacement rear module that took the place of the grip safety and mainspring housing. 1032 batteries in the grips on a single stack...special grip module for SV/STI.

Very point! So much room in the sear housing. I have a mint condition STI 2011 single stack grip, plenty of room for electronics and batts.

You know, an electronic trigger would be an interesting training tool. Maybe set up the sear break to happen randomly between .5 to 1.5 seconds to make sure the shooter isn't flinching when he thinks the gun is going to fire.

Chris

What I'm interested in is micro switches, solenoid activated sears etc. My last paintball marker was easily capable of 20 shots per second. Electrically activated mechanical sear.

You may want to check with the BATF before mixing that with a firearm.

You may want to check with the BATF before mixing that with a firearm.

One of the rifle companies used to make a rifle with an electronic trigger that used special ammo. I think it was Remington but I'm not sure. I also don't think there is any law against an electronic trigger in semi-auto. Now, if you made it full auto that is a different story whether you use an electronic trigger or not.

Chris

Edited by Resjudicata

Hello,

As to the electronic trigger idea, Steyr has an electronic trigger for their air pistols. Well actually they did, they have stopped production because the guns were doubling, they are currently working on this issue.

The LP50E is a 5 shot semi auto with the electronic trigger. I think they have the mechanical trigger LP50's at Camp Perry and have some sort of competition with them. You can get a 1911 grip for them, along with a "heavy" trigger for bullseye practice. the normal trigger is about 2 oz.

I tried to post a link to the trigger unit video and found out that I can not post links yet.

So if you search "youtube LP10 E / LP50 E Adjusting the trigger and operating travel - STEYR Sportwaffen" you will see the video.

The round silver thing in the trigger group is the solenoid, so it's the part that could push the sear.

As soon as they resume production I will get one.

Have a Nice Day,

xpshooter

Edited by xpshooter

Consider this.

6" frame, with a 5" barrel and slide assembly, sort of like what some of the IPSC Modified folks run, but without the comps.

Sort of like this. http://www.sviguns.com/1203.php

Theory being, you might get some sort of compensated affect from the dust cover, yet, technically it is not a compensator.

Thooughts from the gunsmithing crew?

Ok Guys let me clear something up here... It was brought to my attention about my post (#22) someone had issues with...

The pic I posted is an AIRSOFT pic and I dont know who built it but apparantly it wasnt built by Dan Bedell (knocked off by a chinese manufacturer, I guess) ... I posted that pic to show that design and my intention was not to cause any issues for these 2 gunsmiths...

This person mention that Jimmy Vidanes made it ... Thats not the fact, I said " I was gonna have Jimmy Vidanes build it for me" ... The 2 pics on ( #29) is what Jimmy Vidanes has built. Its close to the design, I posted and a design I fell in love with, which is the second pic of post #29...So before this thing goes out of controll.

To whom it may concern;

Please read carefully what I said and dont imply I said something I did not...

A .40 S&W Pin Gun. Take it to the next level and do a commander length slide, 5" recoil spring/reverse spring plug, a 6" barrel with a 1 3/4" weight w/cone and front sight threaded onto the end. Make it a full profile if you want the extra weight.

Hmm, sounds just like my 1992 Caspian Hi-Cap Competition Pistol, with no ports on the Jet Comp and it was a Super. It was the best balanced, quickest shooting, most accurate pistol I ever shot. Putting the Dot Sight on it in '94 screwed it up for me and I sold it a few years after the split to Open/Limited.

Thumb Rests? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edited by pskys2

• 4 weeks later...