Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division 'modification' discussion

Jim Norman

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you say this? I see no reason that L10 should go away, or any other division for that matter. Actually we could use two more divisions if we really want to capture more shooters; Open-10 and Open Revo.

have you tested these 2 new divisions with having a match and seeing how many people attend them?

Why would you say this? I see no reason that L10 should go away, or any other division for that matter. Actually we could use two more divisions if we really want to capture more shooters; Open-10 and Open Revo.

My wife would love to see open revolver. Open 10 is not a bad idea either.

Actually (and this is getting beyond the scope of the topic), all you need to do in revolver is eliminate the Michael Voigt restriction on shoot max of 6 rounds before reloading. (You currently can HAVE an 8-round cylinder; you just can't fire more than 6 before reload.)

I see no use for an open-10 division.

And useless in states that don't. Limited-10 used to be somewhat popular as that was where the single stacks all gravitated to to get away from full-limited race guns before they got their own division. Now limited-10 itself seems useless to me. Open-10 would be the same.

Sorry, but an Open 10 in states with mag restictions is not USELESS, especially in a state as large as California.

We have to jump thru hoops to get pistols that are NOT on the approved for sale list, many shooters have found a way to get guns that were not offered for sale in California. But the mag restiction for a younger shooter who did not have high cap STI/SV/Para mags before 2000 he can not play in the open game. Hate to limit new shooters who want to play with 10 round mags.

Limited 10, Open 10, Open Revolver are all viable. There are a load of shooters out there that shoot Revo in ICORE and Steel that have Open Revos that they cannot shoot in USPSA. Revo is what they shoot and we are telling them we don't want them. Limited 10 and Open 10 are good for many reasons, NY, HI, CA, MD, NJ, just to name five. Both are a different challenge than shooting a full capacity gun. If one is against L10, an already existing division, whey would that same person support a limit on Production? I think maintaining L10 and adding O10 and Open Revo would add shooters to our ranks.

And we should probably ask a mod to move this line of discussion off to its own thread.

Jim

Limited 10, Open 10, Open Revolver are all viable. There are a load of shooters out there that shoot Revo in ICORE and Steel that have Open Revos that they cannot shoot in USPSA. Revo is what they shoot and we are telling them we don't want them. Limited 10 and Open 10 are good for many reasons, NY, HI, CA, MD, NJ, just to name five. Both are a different challenge than shooting a full capacity gun. If one is against L10, an already existing division, whey would that same person support a limit on Production? I think maintaining L10 and adding O10 and Open Revo would add shooters to our ranks.

And we should probably ask a mod to move this line of discussion off to its own thread.

Jim

Agreed, BUT, we have 6 divisions now. What I would be interested in is a way that we only have to recognize 4 or 5 divisions. Say Open, Limited, SA Lim 8, DA Lim 10, Open Lim 10. I know this is a pipe dream that won't happen, but it would be nice to have universal divisions nationwide without adding 2 or 3 more limited divsions that end up with 1 or 2 shooters in the "Unrestricted" States.

Edited by MarkCO

I'm NOT for an Open 10 division.

Unlike CA, we cannot use regular capacity mags that we owned before (insert date). All shooters here have to use 10 rd mags. We have to shoot 10 rd divisions (exc. revo) here no matter what, even if I wanted to exercise my L.E. exemption.

When I travel to out-of-state matches, I typically will shoot in Open with regular capacity mags or if I should pick up my limited gun I will use regular capacity mags. Reason is I can shoot -10 rd whatever anytime in my home state but, won't shoot -10 rd divisions when I travel to states that allow regular capacity mags.

If an Open 10 division is created, it will shut down my argument to legislators that we in 10 rd states are hampered when we compete with the U.S. shooter :devil:

I say leave it alone, no more new divisions.

As a Revo Shooter, I really have no dog in the Open-10/no Open-10 discussion. But I will comment on the Open Revo.

I think USPSA is going to have to come to terms with the fact that Revolvers are no longer 6 shot guns. The whole "shoot in Prod" response is wearing thin. But care needs to be taken to not impact the small hardcore group that keeps Revo alive while at the same time bring it out of the last century. Is the answer to simply add Open Revo or do away with the 6 shot limit or split it like ICORE? I don't know. But regardless care needs to be taken so that the choice grows the division(s) rather than causing the current shooters to leave and no new shooters to come.

A few random thoughts:

L-10 seems redundant. Rhe guys who shoot it in this area do so either for a change of pace, or for the opportunity to finish higher in their division. It's pretty easy to finish top 5 when there are only 4 shooters in your division. In states with magazine capacity restrictions, Limited is the same as L-10.

Why water down Revo? We rarely see revolver shooters as it is. Splitting them into 2 different divisions doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I'm not in favor of any new divisions, but IF I were to suggest one, it would be a lower cost division that allowed the use of optics. As I get older, and my eyes get weaker, I would like the opportunity to shoot a gun with a dot. But I have no desire to own a $6000 open gun. If you want to create Open 10, my suggestion would be no comps and minimum .40 caliber to make major. Basically a limited gun with a C-More. (Maybe let minor guns compete with higher round count? So production guys can stick a C-More on their gun and be competitive)

We had discussions like this before and there was a lot of support for modifying Production to allow greater than 10 round mags, BUT that is not what I am suggesting!.

I think there would be a lot of support for another division 99.9% like Production, EXCEPT there would be not be a 10 round restriction on mags. There would only be a mag length restriction. Every other production rule would remain. There would not be any equipment race as most production guns sold today have larger capacity mags from the factory. No scoring changes, no other rules changes! Pretty easy to create. This would not affect stage design either. Fairly easy code change to scoring software.

I would guess you would see an increase in Production overall. If you think about, it would actually be cheaper and more fun to shoot for a lot of people. Production itself would not change. You would actually reduce the equipment needed!

Let the comments begin....:cheers:

L-10 seems redundant.

We have a number of people who shoot L10 in this area. Some are from states with limitations but others simply want to be able to shoot a major caliber gun with stock mags. I think a couple just like shooting in a division with less competition. There are even a couple people who shoot L10 minor - no idea why.