Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Glock slide....

boomfab

This just happened to my main G34 before a "major" 3gun match.

Glock is taking care of it, no problem. The slide has 30K or 40K on it, I stopped counting a long time ago.

Interestingly enough, a year ago, this gun broke a frame rail in the same location as the slide crack. Glock took care of that in no time.

Anyone ever crack a Glock slide before?

post-18921-0-09506500-1315956551_thumb.j

Very good to hear/know that Glock is backing it's product out of warranty and not trying to say it's because of reloaded ammo, etc.

I have 25K (documented) on my G34 and so far so good. Mostly handloads using the popular/infamous/mega-hot temperature producing TG powder :rolleyes:

C.

I bought my first Glock used. It was a G19 and I bought it a few years ago. I was looking for the age of the gun by serial number when I came upon an article about issues with some Glock frames cracking at the slide insert. My G19 serial number was one in that range with the issue. I contacted Glock and they said to send it in and they'd replace the frame at no charge. This was amazing to me! I bought it used and they were going to replace the frame at no charge to me.

After about 3 weeks, and not hearing anything, I called and spoke to a guy in at Glock in Smyrna. We had a great chat. Turns out we both grew up in the same area. He said the issue was with the larger caliber guns with high round counts and mine was probably okay, but they wanted to replace all frames from that run. Anyway, he said cause I wasn't bugging him about my gun would there be anything I wanted done to it while they had it. I said, well, the night sights are a little dim, the trigger spring seems a little weak and the recoil spring probably has 50K rounds on it. He said, no problem. They replaced all those parts at no charge and even inclluded a new carry case. It didn't come with a case when I bought it. I have used that gun for years in local matches and it's my favorite gun. Needless to say, I love all my Glocks and I still have that one.

I've had two crack below the ejection port. One was a highly nodded, lowered port 17l gun. It was my sponsors gun. No telling how many rds through it plus the cut was done from above so it had a square inside corner. No surprise it would break. No warranty because of mods. Second one was my 17. No round count as I bought it used. Just cracked. Glock replaced it, no problems. Probly have 50k or so rounds through it since. No trouble at all. I am a big fan of glock service. I've got 7 of them 3 with way over 50k rds through them, each. Would not hesitate to buy used one ever!

• 3 years later...

New to the forum and love it. I've got 3 Glocks (17, 21, 23), all gen 3s. The frame on my G23 was getting slide-battered a bit and a piece flaked off. Glock replaced the frame free of charge. Not sure why that happened, since I religiously changed recoil springs every 2K, and the gun only has about 5K down the pipe (a few hundred rounds of 155 Silvertip though, which seems to be a hot round).

It's great Glock has been replacing broken parts free of charge, but all these slide cracks & breech failures has me a bit concerned. I've read many of them on this forum. Perhaps it's because there are so many Glocks out there, but I haven't noticed these issues with other makes. I once believed Glock the most durable make out there, especially in 9mm. Now, I'm not so sure.

Do not dry fire without dummy rounds. Do not use 155gr. ammunition on a regular basis in a .40 pistol. This applies to all pistols. At least Glock fixes or replaces the pistols.

Why do people dig up 4 year old threads?

I've cracked 3 G17's, 2 at the forward ejection port and one at the nose ring where the recoil assy sits. Glock replaced them all, of course! So I was on a kick of running +P+ loads, and when I cracked the last one, talked to Dave Sevigny at a CA State IDPA match years ago, and he said you can't run Glocks at that level. Whats your load? Well I was running 125 grs on top of 5.2 grs of TiteGroup. Yea, probably way too hot, yes, but super accurate. So I backed it off to 4.5grs, then down to 4.0 grs, still makes like a 138 PF. Anyway, no issues since then, about 50K later. Never seen a crack at the bottom of the slide though...

image37050.jpg

image37004.jpg

Edited by 9x45

9x45, I'm not a reloader, so do you know how your hot reload would compare with Winchester 127 gr +P+? I enjoy shooting +P occasionally through my fish gill gen 3 G17, and have about 150 rds of the Winchester 127 +P+ through my gen 3 G17 to date. Good accuracy with this load.

Also, aren't the G22, G31, and G17 essentially the same gun except for caliber? .Surely 357 Sig and .40 S&W are harder on the platform than your reloads, aren't they?

Thanks, great discussion.