Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

List 5 things that will suck the fun out of a match

Not having any targets that the majority of the shooters can shoot on the move.

Home grown flash targets that don't flash consistently.

Steel that you can't see in the woods.

Slugs targets over 50 yards.

Requiring shooters to shoot on, over, around, a port or barricade that gives taller or shorter shooters an advantage. If you make the bottom of every port/barricade angled all shooters get a support area that fits everyone.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Circus stages

-Stages that cause backups (squads stacked waiting)

-Silly start positions

-RO's/shooters who want to talk about Aunt Emmie instead of making ready. (Banter behind the line is fine)

-Shooters who don't help reset/tape.

Dave

- Stages that are memory tests vice shooting skill tests.

- Black/grey steel in the shadows/under trees/ other low contrast targets.

- Stages with a par time where a significant number of shooters time out.

- Stages with targets, other than bonus targets, that can't be hit by the "average" shooter, i.e. precision rifle stages vice 4 MOA stages. 4 MOA not enough of a challenge for ya, shoot faster!

David E.

Wow this reads like the Line in the sand from the story of the Alamo.

I like a few long Slug shots, so thats not on my list

I don't like stages that run like a cattle shoot = every shooter lines up and shoots it the same way.

I don't like more than 30% of the stages to be speed shoots

I don't like more than 50% of the stages to only use two guns for a three gun event

I don't like it what our pool of great RO's gets beat down with out a fair shake at the stages. No one can take it for long , they will give up on us and start Fishing instead.

I don't like it when only one side gets hyped over. Talk about the bad with out the good or talk only about the good with out any bad. Nothing is all bad or all good

I don't like it when only one side gets hyped over. Talk about the bad with out the good or talk only about the good with out any bad. Nothing is all bad or all good

I agree. I met and worked with some great people and in the end...its the relationships that matter, not who gets to the prize table first!

Edited by mwc

Having a stage you figured out better than most thrown out because of a "safety issue".

Empty gun start shotgun stages or any shotgun stage more than 25 rounds - loading contest

Memory stages

Stages with more running than shooting

Randon Draw prize table

Target being scored with a penalty and taped, all while I'm still shooting the rest of the stage, and being told after.

Slugs past 50 yards.

Reactive targets in the shade that don't give each shooter the same challenge.

RO's that don't know their own rules for the match.

Showing up at Ft. Benning, and having 2 out of 3 optics on my open guns go TU.

Bad weather and equipment problems definitely top the list for me. RO issues definitely would, but that happens very rarely. In the time I've been shooting, I remember one WTF was up with that guy experience and one that was actually bad.

1) Scoring delays

2) Vast seas of wide open targets with 2 hits anywhere scoring

3) Slugs past 75 (cmon guys 50! that's pretty close)

4) Unpainted rifle steel/ Rifle steel that presents the iron sight shooters with substantially different target presentations (i.e. the aformentioned reactive rifle targets in the shade)

5) Too many stages with all 3 guns which equals delays

1. Not being able to give/take assistance to/from other shooters during the stage.

2. 3-gun matches that you don't shoot all three guns at least 75% of the stages.

3. Stages without multiple shooting options.

4. Matches that have no relief from the weather (hot, cold, rainy, etc.)

5. Stages that are either way longer, or way shorter than the rest that create a backup. More thought should be put into the flow of the match sometimes.

1. stages where lefties get totally screwed

2. inconsistent "hit" calls on steel.

3. Plug "Uncle Bob in as an RO" ROs. (not to say I dont appreciate Bob's hard work)

4. MDs that make excuses for their lack of oversight and pre-planing

5. RMs that worry more about how their rulings affect the flow of the match, rather than make the right call.