Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

List 5 things that will suck the fun out of a match

Well said, Supermoto... very well said. I totally agree with all 5!

Late starts can sometimes be avoided, too. Often times folks get a little carried away with long, drawn out walk throughs that go into way more detail than necessary.

As for the target contrast issue, I've been burned by this one, so this really stands out for me. Steel at 100 yards that that can't be seen with a quality scope at 4x even in decent light - let alone with the naked eye - just isn't good enough. I can understand that it would take too much time to paint it between shooters, but at least between squads maybe? Or if not, how about a piece of plywood behind painted a good contrasting color...

Edited by Xfactor

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Late starts

2. Incorrect scoring

3. No contrast targets, small gray steel that are invisible to the naked eye, barely recognizable with a scope or black clays in a black holder on a dark berm shot as the sun goes down.

4. Getting yelled at for being in the range parking lot after dark, not 5 mins after you had just RO'ed the last shooter with a flashlight. Nothing says "Thanks for helping out" like driving off with your gear and muddy boots still on, guns bouncing around in your trunk

5. Mustaches

I'll add a 6th for goodluck:

6. Not providing timers at the match but rather "hoping" someone has one in each squad.

I'm new to the sport, but one thing I've seen that really has had me going lately. The idea that a "pro" shooter can get away with with a serious safety violation that would have me sent home in a heartbeat. I've watched at least three videos and seen one picture of "pros" sweeping RO/SO's and continuing on with the stage without a word said to them.

I can see loading an extra round in the SG by accident and no one catching it. Muzzle going 180deg from the target? Unacceptable...

I'm new to the sport, but one thing I've seen that really has had me going lately. The idea that a "pro" shooter can get away with with a serious safety violation that would have me sent home in a heartbeat. I've watched at least three videos and seen one picture of "pros" sweeping RO/SO's and continuing on with the stage without a word said to them.

I can see loading an extra round in the SG by accident and no one catching it. Muzzle going 180deg from the target? Unacceptable...

JD, those instances may very well have happened exactly as you interpreted from video or still images. But, the problem with both of these medias is they are only 2 dimensional and it's just as likely that due to depth the safety issue did not occur.

I agree with you though- all competitors must be treated equally in all respects.

I get around a bit and I have not seen an Ro get swept at any match other than my self. The sweeper was anything other than a "Pro".

Over 1/2 of the 3 gun events I go to allow the shotgun to have more than 8 in the tube after the start buzzer.

But I do agree with your main point about one group being treated different than another at an event.

I go out of my way to tell RO's how much I like a "Fair match for Every-One" as part of my -Thank-you- after my squad shoots the stage. " Its a fair match for everyone -Or its not a fair match"

JD, those instances may very well have happened exactly as you interpreted from video or still images. But, the problem with both of these medias is they are only 2 dimensional and it's just as likely that due to depth the safety issue did not occur.

I agree with you though- all competitors must be treated equally in all respects.

I would post a link to the videos, but I would rather not point to any particualr shooters. It is obvious the muzzle was pointed 180deg from the target. I shot the match and remember the particular stage very well. When one is facing the target, and transition to the rifle from the sling, and the barrel gets pointed behind them, there is no doubt the safety issue occured.

Another instance I have only heard about, not a saftey issue, is when a shooter at a shoot off, has to come forward on his own to report a procedural error not reported by the RO/SO. Kudos to the shooter. An honorable thing to do. But why wouldn't the staff make the call on the scene? This is a sport where every episode of 3GNation says they want to bring new shooters to the table. If new shooters aren't given the same opportunities everyone else has, it can deter many from continuing on after they start.

I've only been shooting 3 Gun seriously for the last year but I'll give it a shot. Not all have have happened to me, but it's what I've witnessed over the last year.

1. Traveling 500 miles, spending hundreds of dollars on match fees, gas & hotel to get DQ'd.

2. Shooters on your squad shooting first or second, then not taping/resetting and moving gear over to check out the next stage.

3. Shooting at the end of your group and having guys from the squad behind you walking up and doing stage rehearsals or asking the RO questions while your trying to plan out and shoot your stage.

4. Shooting first or second in your squad and having the guy shooting near last keep stepping in front of you while doing your walk through.

5. Fog and shadows when it's your squad's turn to shoot the long range stages.

If new shooters aren't given the same opportunities everyone else has, it can deter many from continuing on after they start.

At local matches I try to DQ one of our better shooters every time I DQ a newbie just to make sure they don't get discouraged.

LMAO. Awesome.

1. Inconsistent rules enforcement.

2. Lack of Range safety knowledge

3. Next squad crashing your stage walk through as if you don't exist.

4. Squad mates who bail as soon as their last shot is fired, not helping reset for the rest of the stage.

5. Shooters who have no clue how hard and how much work goes into match management. "I paid, therefore I am more important than you."

Good thread.

Setting up a stage that lefties cannot shoot with the same advantages as a right handed shooter.

Color/contrast on long range stages

Squad not taping/re-setting

Squads broken up by MD's without asking.

Putting all of the newbies on one squad.

• 5 weeks later...

1. Putting to much presure on myself and taking the fun out of it.

2. Grey steel with no background.

3. Shooting into the sun at long distance.

4. Same rules apply to everyone

5. Match DQ

Edited by JMIS

I just may compile a list as almost all of the above should be in a Match Directors 'Don't Do This' book.

I'll add one more though. MDs that can't count. When you plan a match out with a three minute time out an dit takes 4 minutes to set the stage and half the shooters are timing out, you have 7 minutes per shooter. When you figure an hour per squad and that includes the walk-through time that means your squads can only have 7 people. Putting 12-14 on the squad will simply not work. 2nd grade arithmetic. I have seen pistol and multi-gun matches go down for this.

1. Shooting like crap on the first stage.

2.Shooting even crappier on the second stage.

3. Zeroing the third stage.

4. Yep...shooting just as crappy as the second stage

5. Shooting halfway decent on a qualifier, only to find out that the first string time was recorded wrong...And I don't think it was an accident. :angry2:

can you tell I'm still a little bitter about yesterdays match? :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

malfunctions are my biggest party pooper. nothing can kill a good day like the frustration of clearing a serious malfunction mid-stage.

as for other people, salty attitudes are my biggest pet peeve. lighten up fellas. were here to have fun.

• 1 month later...

1. Poor match execution, ie, squads getting stacked up on long stages

2. A-hole ROs

3. A-hole competitors who spend the entire match watching other people patch and reset

4. Inconsistent scoring

5. Bad weather

Edited by Onagoth

I'll chime in from an RO perspecive:

1. The early birds showing up to walk stages (which is fine) without showing courtesy to the RO's who are currently shooting the stage (which is not fine).

2. Competitors who think ROs are a-holes, when they have worked themselves to physical exhaustion, blisters, sunburn and rubbed raw in the most uncomfortable places.

3. People who complain about everything possible and ruin the fun for others.

4. People who get mad because the RO didn't see the target flash, when he just gave the shooter the benefit of the doubt on the last 3. Statistically 100% inspection is only 88% effective. Do the math. Eventually the RO will miss one.

5. Props and activators which fail to work properly and have to be reset and fidgeted with throughout the day(s).

Edited by co-exprs

I'll chime in from an RO perspecive:

1. The early birds showing up to walk stages (which is fine) without showing courtesy to the RO's who are currently shooting the stage (which is not fine).

2. Competitors who think ROs are a-holes, when they have worked themselves to physical exhaustion, blisters, sunburn and rubbed raw in the most uncomfortable places.

3. People who complain about everything possible and ruin the fun for others.

4. People who get mad because the RO didn't see the target flash, when he just gave the shooter the benefit of the doubt on the last 3. Statistically 100% inspection is only 88% effective. Do the math. Eventually the RO will miss one.

5. Props and activators which fail to work properly and have to be reset and fidgeted with throughout the day(s).

Since you brought that up, I'll add 2 of my own:

1) Having a Shooter Argue with you the loading procedure at the shotgun load table, when it is CLEARLY written as such (by the Match Director) on a piece of paper taped on the table itself, and then getting a response of "Well that's stupid none of the other stages are doing that."

2) Having to politely ask a shooter several times that he needs to turn around and exit the restricted area of the prize tables, only to be ignored intentionally . Then having to get in their face to stop them only to be insulted verbally, by being called a "OK pecker head!" :roflol: I almost started to laugh when he said that.

and Oh, having Trapr almost about to yell at me for not letting him know that his pistol was unloaded prior to the "load and make ready" at the end of shooting the stage, to only see the expression on his face when he remembered it was a unloaded pistol start :devil:

Edited by DocMedic