Catch Phrases or Sayings That Bug You

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"To tell you the truth"

"I'm not going to lie"

"Honestly?"

Makes me think anything said by these people are lies, unless of course they say one of the above lines first of course.

"Overarching"

The military uses this as a preface to policy statements, as in "The overarching intent of this policy is to....."

Another of my favorites is "It's embedded in our corporate DNA", as in "The desire to create as positive customer experience is embedded in our corporate DNA."

Anybody got a bucket?

When someone wants to say they are about to do something and they "I'm fixin' to..." :angry: Drives me up the damn wall!!!!!

I had a professor from up north once tell me how we in the South made him crazy because we all were either repairmen or mathmeticians.

His position was we were all "fixin" to do something, or "figurin" on it.

I told him to figure on a way to kiss my ass and then fix the damage it would cause.

:P

"This needs fixed", or "that needs fixed". Aaargh!! It needs TO BE fixed. Maybe it's a Colorado thing, I never heard it anywhere else.

They did it in Oregon. Everybody's lawn there "needs mowed".

Give/gave over 100%. That one just annoys the hell out of me. There is no such thing.

"Please reach out to...." Whatever happened to "Go see Charlie."?

From someone canceling a meeting "I am giving you the gift of time." No you aren't. Nowhere in your thought process was my time considered. You just have something else you want to do. If you were worried about my time you wouldn't have called the meeting in the first place.

"Please partner with our offshore associates." Oh, you mean play nice with the folks you hired in India after firing all my friends over in IT and Clerical Support? Yeah, that's just not gonna be happening.