Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Single Stacks

rhd2542

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do you want to spend ?

Wilson/Nighthawk ($$$$$), Les Baer ($$$$), Dan Wesson ($$$)(limited availability), STI Trojan ($$), STI Spartan ($).

Springfield also has a decent one around the STI Trojans price (I think).

I am thinking of getting one of the RIA 9mm options. I have heard nothing but good things. For the money you can not beat it!

I eventually plan to add a Nighthawk Talon II 9mm... but it could be awhile.

I've got a DW PM9 that I really like, also got a RIA 9mm for a backup. Haven't shot the RIA much at all, but with only a FO front, trigger and magwell, it's a damn good gun for under $600. I got the PM9 last year after hearing that DW would not be making them this year. If I were to get another 9mm 1911 I would probably go with the Trojan.

My vote would be a RIA Tactical, then just change out any of the guts to nicer stuff if you want to, you'll still come out less banged up money-wise and you can add exactly what you want or really nothing if it's fine as is. I've been really impressed with just about every RIA I've ever handled or shot not even considering their price-tag, a gun that costs twice as much will not be twice the gun shooting-wise or in some cases with some brands possibly even as good.

All 9mm 1911's can give you headaches regardless of price, so don't think spending more automatically equates to more built-in reliability. I've owned a tricked out 9mm STI Trojan, but after shooting a couple Spartans and RIA's I'd say the extra $400-700 is a lot just for the Trojan's under-cut trigger-guard and ramped-barrel.

Also, FWIW, I ended up spending more than I had to mainly because I was convinced having a ramped-barrel in a 9mm 1911 was a necessity, don't fall in the same trap, just my own theory here, but these days the 9mm magazines are vastly better than they once were and the usual suspects (Wilson ETM's, Tripp's) present the rounds pretty high and in-line to the chambers and don't nose-dive nearly as bad as they were once notorious for doing (actually, sometimes the 9mm mags seat high enough to break ejectors, but that's a different discussion). I'm actually starting to see more and more non-ramped 9mm 1911's running better than the ramped ones, as the ramps are really too steep on the ramped ones and once they're a little dirty rounds smash into them and hang up anyway, seems having the steep ramp out of the way may just be better...

I have a STI Spartan in 9mm that's been working excellently for me. Great gun for under $700.

I second the Spartan in 9mm. :cheers: I paid $620 delivered new for mine. I initially wanted a Trojan but the undercut trigger guard and ramped barrel did not warrant the extra $300 cost for a game gun. By the time you add the magwell extra mags, thinner FO sight it adds up...

I love my Spartan but it's picky with ammo. I usually recommend the Springfield Stainless Loaded Target for those on a budget.

I worked up a great load using Bear Creek 135 RN's loaded at 1.150 OAL backed with WST... 133 PF and very accurate.

Edited by Boxerglocker

I ordered a SAM 19119E for my boys. It's made by the same company that supplies the RIA and Charles Daly guns, and I believe also makes the Tanfoglio badged 1911.

I'll post a report when it arrives.

I currently have a Spartan and a Kimber. The Spartan is the best buy for the money spent. OTOH the Kimber 9mm can be converted to shoot .40 with just a barrel change. Kimber uses the same breech face for 9mm and .40. I had a RI Tactical that shot well also.

Have one of the spartans myself. Added a dawson Fo front(like the slimmer front), techwell xt magwell, and had W2R do a trigger job on it. Extremely reliable with the tripp mags as well as the 9round springfield mags. I have about what a box stock trojan costs in a gun with alot of upgrades

Got a spartan9. Don't know if I got a lemon, but trigger pull is horrible, finish is really bad (the entire inside was gummed with parkerizing salt, inside the magwell I have had to use sandpaper to remove it). Got jams after jams until tuned extractor (it was too tight and heavy). It's a good value for the money, very tight out of the box, very good sights, but to run 100percent it needs some care.