Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Single Stacks

rhd2542

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is shooting the loaded Springfield and has had very good luck with it. We had Don Williams in Chino Valley Az. put a Dawson FO front sight on it, do a trigger job and fit up a Ed Brown mag button for it. It is finicky about the loads. After a lot of trips to the range and resetting the old Dillon 450 for OAL and charges we found a winner. We tried every top name FMJ and lead round you can think of near 124 gr and then tried the Missouri Bullet Co 125 Gr Rn. It is very accurate and consistant. They are also great to deal with, super fast delivery, I've gone to them for my 45 as well.

Here is the formula:

3.8 gr bullseye (I know a lot of guys like other powders for 9mm but I use it for my 45 as well, there may be cleaner powders - it works )

1.142 OAL

.377 crimp

starline brass

We did end up with a 9lb recoil spring. 10 round mags have been a bit of a challenge. The Dawson so far has been her favorite.

I picked up a Spartan recently and I'm having a blast with it. I would highly recommend it. Mine feeds everything so far, including the 147gr flat point reloads I usually shoot in my Glock.

ETA. I'm using Dawson 10 rounders, wedge base pads and an Ice magwell.

Edited by dsmw5142

Try a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm. Lot of them run quite well and the price is certainly right.

The Taurus 1911 is a piece of trash.

That's a little harsh, but there's a reason there are a lot more STIs and Springfields than Tauruses at matches.

Smith Wesson 1911 Pro Series.

Ditto!

They are a pretty nice package. I have been thinking about one, but wanted to hear some more feedback before I took the plunge myself. THANKS !

Edited by oak hill

I have an STI Sentry in 9, I love it but if I were to do it again I would buy the Trojan instead. I changed out the recoilmaster guide rod, and the original magwell so i basically paid the extra money for an ambi safety and a checkered front strap(which i prefer over the stipling). Ah well you live and learn. Next on the list a Trojan in .45 and an Edge in .40. Now just need to find a way to fund them :)

Edited by Mike21STI

I ordered a Springfield Loaded 9mm (fixed sights) a couple years back and got a lemon. It went back to Springfield twice and they ultimately replaced the slide and barrel. I believe the slide and barrel lugs on the original were not cut correctly. Total credit to Springfield for taking ownership of the problem and replacing major parts. Every manufacturer has problems. Springfield really stands behind their life time warranty. Now it shoots like a dream. I have been running Montana Gold 147s using Wilson ETM mags and it runs very well with no major issues. It's like shooting a .22 compared to shooting a .40 or .45 single stack. I am going to tinker with it a bit more and get it setup to shoot steel loads.

STI Trojan for me and many here.. I did have an S.A. Target to begin but kept it only days before I got the

Trojan.. Allot of good advice above as well.. I think the Taurus bash was really over the top and surprised me

to see a burst like that on this forum.. Many shooters do enjoy them as well..

Ask her what/ which one she likes... Then.. Back her up on it so she'll keep on enjoying the sport and letting you too..!! ;)

I'm not certain anybody asked what the end use of the 9mm single stack will be. Is your wife going to shoot competition with the pistol? If so, there have been several great suggestions already provided. Is she simply going to carry the pistol and use it for self defense? If so, another pistol I would highly recommend is the Springfield EMP. High quality, very reliable, and very, very accurate. Lightweight and easy to carry and conceal, too. Just mt 2 cents worth.

I am not satisfied with gunfixers' avatar.

I feel that the glasses and that FACE on the front of her...........shirt........detract from the overall setting/composition of her outfit.

No glasses, and perhaps a plain tshirt.

FY42385

I am not satisfied with gunfixers' avatar.

I feel that the glasses and that FACE on the front of her...........shirt........detract from the overall setting/composition of her outfit.

No glasses, and perhaps a plain tshirt.

FY42385

We are all missing the point................. and that is, that gunfixer has the bestest avatar of this whole thread

:D

And to stay on topic, I like the Trojan and the one Kimber 9 millie that I have shot.

Thank you and.. So sorry, perhaps the plain shirt IS more appropriate in SOME cases..

But.. I think you've simply been hypnotized.. *PIC REMOVED*

I was gonna say nice things about Fusions 9mm 1911's, but.. I can't remember... ;)

Edited by Singlestack
Edited to remove pic. Grow up please.

I have to second 45 Raven's post. We were looking for a good 9mm 1911 for my wife after trying all kinds of different pistols (Sig, Glock, etal) and she decided on a SA EMP9 because it would do double duty as a CCW and light competition pistol for her and that the controls were the same as my Norinco 45 and Kimber Ultra Carry 45. She has really enjoyed shooting it and it has been much easier to shoot for her than the Smith Alloy J frame for a slight increase in size. Besides, the EMP just fits her hand better. The only down side is that the magazines are EMP specific. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...