Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How "wet" do you run your Open Guns?

robot

How much lube do you put on your Open blasters? Especially when shooting a large match with over 150-200 rounds. I clean my guns after every match but am always wondering how much lube is optimum.

I remember shooting my single stack 1911 in a SS match once and by the 7th stage, the SO and I can hear very clearly that the gun is dry when I rack the slide. It still functions though. I'm just wondering if you guys lube it the same as your other guns or have a specific lube regiment for your race gun.

Pictures would be awesome!

Thanks!

How much lube do you put on your Open blasters? Especially when shooting a large match with over 150-200 rounds. I clean my guns after every match but am always wondering how much lube is optimum.

I remember shooting my single stack 1911 in a SS match once and by the 7th stage, the SO and I can hear very clearly that the gun is dry when I rack the slide. It still functions though. I'm just wondering if you guys lube it the same as your other guns or have a specific lube regiment for your race gun.

Pictures would be awesome!

Thanks!

As much FP10 oil as I can get without running out on my hands.

During a multi-day match, I'll check it over each evening to make sure nothing nasty has built up or run dry. Clean and lubricate accordingly.

Shot some matches in the middle of a West Texas sandstorm. Clean and lub between stages were all that kept 'em running that day.

Bill

Mobil 1, very wet. After lubing I will hand cycle it 10 to 15 times and wipe the excess off, usually at the back of the frame and thecomp/slide junction. I will also clean it between matches.

Most Open guns are well fit, after all you are aiming the frame in most instances. I want to do what I can to maximize the life of the fit and keep the gun hitting where the dot is for as long as I can.

I've been using Mobil 1 for years and have no complaints.

A couple drops on and into the rails, front and rear of slide, plus front of barrel

A few racks and then wipe the excess off.

At least once for every match day, if I shoot 8 or so stages in one day, I'll add a couple drops halfway through.

Right now, it's Castrol ATF for me, seems to stay on the rails all day.

I HATE using oil on my open guns. When I do, I'm cleaning the lens, of the Cmore every stage. :angry2:

If it's above 40 degrees, I use Slide Glide lite. If it looks like it will be colder, either Mobil1, of, FP10.

I'm part of the "if its not splashing back in your face as your shooting it, it doesn't have enough oil" group also.

Lots of oil collects lots of dust and other annoying things so I clean my top end after every match. If I didn't clean it after every match I wouldn't use as much oil. My 2011 lower does not get a lot of oil as I don't clean that as often.

im notorious for running mine pretty wet all ofthe time, it has worked for me, cept it did bite me in the butt up in reno nv. where the dirt/sand is like talcum powder and mixed w/ gunoil becomes a paste/valve lapping compound...like was said earlier i use grease, but untill the summertime, the colder months FP-10...

side note i just got back from a weekend of squirrel shooting and it never got above 28 degrees, my rifle was lubed with FP-10 and ran like a champ all weekend

A couple drops on and into the rails, front and rear of slide, plus front of barrel

Don't forget the top of the barrel hood and locking lugs. That area rubs the underside of the slide, more so on an open guns because of the extra weight of the comp and the downward force from the gasses

Edited by TMC

Don't forget the top of the barrel hood and locking lugs. That area rubs the underside of the slide, more so on an open guns because of the extra weight of the comp and the downward force from the gasses

I just learn about oil on the hood.One drop the other day brought mine back to speed.Never realized the need for it before. I sure it depends how your gun is fitted

My feeling is more is better when it comes to open guns. I lube like JPL with either Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 and Slide Glide. I do not have to worry about blowing sand getting in the gun in my area.

Edited by Jaxshooter