Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 2 - Episode 3

BritinUSA

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I got beat by someone with less skill..."

Uh, that's not what the test of skill showed.

I wonder if Jermaine would have better for the team down the line, but he sure hurt his team this week.

I'm kinda rooting for Jay as the dark horse. To see him nail the bull with Sharps 45-70 and send the Ranger/DHS agent home was fun. How did Jermaine get beat by a guy who bought his first gun just one year ago? By a guy using an outdated grip?

Now, if Jay would just shut up and quit trying to lead.

On another note, what would that have looked like had a Brad Engman or Dave Sevigny be up there shooting that Glock 17? Three plates per open window?

Edited by Steven Cline

Glock nailed for shooting left on national tv. LOL.

Only kidding about the stab at Glocks....I literally busted out laughing when Jay said the gun was shooting low left "for him". Can anyone say trigger control issue!?

How did Jermaine get beat by a guy who bought his first gun just one year ago? By a guy using an outdated grip?

He may be a "golf pro," but clearly that game requires a combination of physical skills and brains -- and he probably picked up some competitive experience at it. Add in the fact that he participated in the 2004 Olympic Trials in archery at some level -- and clearly he's got to have experience in competition.....

I may not like the guy (or how the show portrays him), but he's not inept....

On another note, what would that have looked like had a Brad Engman or Dave Sevigny be up there shooting that Glock 17? Three plates per open window?

Or a steel challenge competitor? Or someone with mid to high level Bianchi experience. I'm thinking that I must be missing something about that set-up, because I'd think you'd want to try and clean a table when the doors opened, then move to the next table when they shut....

On the other hand we get a chance to rehearse -- to figure out where to plant our feet, so that we can see all the targets....

I nearly died at two points. The first was when Jay refused to listen to the advice about his grip because he only wanted tips that would make him faster, and the other was when Jay said the Glock shot low left for him. Hilarious.

I laughed at those too --- but ultimately I think Jay would have been a fool to try to relearn his grip, with that little notice....

They played up 2 episodes for Jay to be really (insert your own adjective here). Even at the team challenge practice he still proved to be a (insert your own again).

But wrt the mental game, he:

1) shot his own game

2) shot at his own skill level

3) shot relaxed,

in spite of not hitting anything on the first 2 openings

We've heard all those tips before and now there it is on screen.

Edited by Kagemusha

They played up 2 episodes for Jay to be really (insert your own adjective here). Even at the team challenge practice he still proved to be a (insert your own again).

But wrt the mental game, he:

1) shot his own game

2) shot at his own skill level

3) shot relaxed,

in spite of not hitting anything on the first 2 openings

We've heard all those tips before and now there it is on screen.

Absolutely true....

His technique may be flawed but he performed to the top of his potential. Jermaine on the other hand continued to be in denial that he had to perform, not rely on his resume'.....those results were equally predictable. Two instances of condition black for a "seasoned" guy playing a game was a bit much.

Edited by smokshwn

Was it just me, but before the challenge it showed Jermaine practice moving and pulling up, but in the competition he stood stock still? Like him or not, Jay was moving to get angles, and his strategy with the "low-left" Glock actually worked..

but ultimately I think Jay would have been a fool to try to relearn his grip, with that little notice....

I agree Nick. The comment about getting tips to go faster was funny. But in the same situation, I would not try to change my technique. Recently I had something pointed to me before the match that I thought was a very sound advice. I still shot the match with no changes and then went home to practice the new technique.

The way this thing is edited it is hard to be sure, but it seemed to me that both of the shooters were going pretty slow in the elimination challenge. Looked like you did not need to be a Dave Sevigny or JJ to pick up at least a couple of plates each time.

Incredible mental freeze for Jermaine in the team challenge.

Blue team will be glad to have Jay for the next challenge. After that I believe they will miss Jermaine.

Too bad Guida bailed. I feel for him though, I know what pulled hamstrings feel like.

I lost respect for him. He gave up without even trying. The way Jermain was running around, if the red team could have hit a target they could have made up for John being slow. The way they edited the show, he gave up long before he walked off at the team challenge.

How did Jermaine get beat by a guy who bought his first gun just one year ago? By a guy using an outdated grip?

He may be a "golf pro," but clearly that game requires a combination of physical skills and brains -- and he probably picked up some competitive experience at it. Add in the fact that he participated in the 2004 Olympic Trials in archery at some level -- and clearly he's got to have experience in competition.....

I may not like the guy (or how the show portrays him), but he's not inept....

Sorry, Nik, I meant for those questions to be rhetorical; but your answers are spot on. Golf is a game of controlling yourself, so is archery, and with some understanding of basic marksmanship I think he is able to compete on the level the competition has required so far. Another observation which is spot on was that the "seasoned" guy was in condition black. (I also meant for it to be a gentle poke at Jermaine who, "got his @$$ sent home." )

As former LEO and Mil - now civilian USPSA shooter I believe that the time limits given for quals are quite generous. (note- we didn't have level III retention on my duty belt- simple thumb snap, but we also fired a lot from low ready)

Or a steel challenge competitor? Or someone with mid to high level Bianchi experience. I'm thinking that I must be missing something about that set-up, because I'd think you'd want to try and clean a table when the doors opened, then move to the next table when they shut....

On the other hand we get a chance to rehearse -- to figure out where to plant our feet, so that we can see all the targets....

Oh, indeed! Steel Challenge or Bianchi Plate shooters would have swept that. I'm not certain how important a rehearsal would have been on that elimination challenge. It was very straight forward, almost a shut up and shoot.

Like you I often wonder what we're missing or if we're missing something. Was Jermaine just in rote mode when he withdrew the gun to chest between door openings costing him valuable time on press to presentation before the first shot each time? Or did they have to take gun off line of fire?

I think that should have been a team challenge style event. So far the challenges have been very combat, Mil/LE oriented. Almost one and out shooting. I've been disappointed in the USPSA shooters performance with the old revolver (but not large revolver). But imagine what Athena, Maggie, and Chris would have done with that elimination as a team? Racking up 15 - 18 hits each? Imagine the failures as others tried to match that speed? (as we often see otherwise accurate shooters do at the first match when they first go under the timer)

I'm looking forward to the upcoming episode where the bring in the open gun. It will be interesting to see how the naysayers handle an open gun and learn that they don't shoot themselves, do have recoil and don't make everyone a GM.

Edited by Steven Cline