Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 2 - Episode 3

BritinUSA

Time for me to butt in again :P

John TORE both his hamstrings. He went to see a doctor, did MRI, x-ray, laser, vodoo all that the day after I got bodybagged. They told him he would just make it worse if he forced himself to run or walk fast. He is still not 100% healed yet today. He is an awesome guy, great shot and great competitor.

I have to admit, the first time I met Jay and when he opened his mouth, I wanted to push him into oncoming traffic. For reals. But as I got to know him, he's just different. He's actually a nice guy but with a different view of the world. His gun handling skills at that time made me want to weep and duck at the same time but he is the Happy Gilmore of things that go bang. He has terribad form but he can hit. He grows on you...with time :P

Daryl is a very honorable and exemplary man. Rewind your tivo and watch Ashley's face as they shoot Jay's target.

My heart broke watching last night's episode. Jermaine is such a great guy.

Keep watching and keep the faith, it will only get better. Things happen for a reason ;)

Red Team Nation!! :goof:

Thank you Athena. I enjoyed reading your insights. later rdd

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for laughs....

I hear the next episode is going to feature an "Firarms Forum Expert" competition in which the competitors will be required to show their skills at:

Artificially inflating their post count by regurgitating their inaccurate interpretation of firarms/shooting related information gleaned from endless hours moderating forums and hard earned Google based research.

Repeatedly discussing gear purchases and equipment upgrades as it applies to performance without the slightest recognition of training with implement being discussed.

Buying and selling expensive gear without the foggiest idea as to its application (except, of course, what they discovered through the web); and most importantly,

Repeatedly posting unflinching support of new and novel equipmenttechniques and gunsmiths based solely upon the say-so of OTHER cyber-experts.

There will be bonus points awarded for the most insulting post made to thwart the efforts of new shooters and inexperienced web-users who dare make a mistake or ask a stupid question.

Now aren't some of you guys sorry you underestimated your chances of success and didn't apply?

:roflol:

The descibed behavior is why I quit another forum. Well posted!

Did anyone notice how Jermaine was bringing the gun back in to his chest every time the doors closed? He wasted a lot of time reacquiring targets, keeping his gun up and breaking the shot as the doors were opening would have easily given him the win. 3 shots per opening was definitely manageable, but without a doubt he could have shot twice every opening with splits at 2 seconds. Big mental mistake on his part. Jay did what he needed to do and learned a bunch after missing his first 4-5 shots.

Yes, and I agree with the other observations as well.

On another note, what would that have looked like had a Brad Engman or Dave Sevigny be up there shooting that Glock 17? Three plates per open window?
Or a steel challenge competitor? Or someone with mid to high level Bianchi experience. I'm thinking that I must be missing something about that set-up, because I'd think you'd want to try and clean a table when the doors opened, then move to the next table when they shut....

On the other hand we get a chance to rehearse -- to figure out where to plant our feet, so that we can see all the targets....

Oh, indeed! Steel Challenge or Bianchi Plate shooters would have swept that. I'm not certain how important a rehearsal would have been on that elimination challenge. It was very straight forward, almost a shut up and shoot.

Like you I often wonder what we're missing or if we're missing something. Was Jermaine just in rote mode when he withdrew the gun to chest between door openings costing him valuable time on press to presentation before the first shot each time? Or did they have to take gun off line of fire? I think that should have been a team challenge style event. So far the challenges have been very combat, Mil/LE oriented. Almost one and out shooting. I've been disappointed in the USPSA shooters performance with the old revolver (but not large revolver). But imagine what Athena, Maggie, and Chris would have done with that elimination as a team? Racking up 15 - 18 hits each? Imagine the failures as others tried to match that speed? (as we often see otherwise accurate shooters do at the first match when they first go under the timer)

I'm looking forward to the upcoming episode where the bring in the open gun. It will be interesting to see how the naysayers handle an open gun and learn that they don't shoot themselves, do have recoil and don't make everyone a GM.

Edited by Steven Cline

I don't think USPSA shooters have any big advantage on Top Shot. Most of the challenges are more about accuracy than speed and movement, and you can't miss fast enough to win on Top Shot!

I agree. I'd like to see a couple top level Bianchi shooters mixed into the group next season. The right ones could really do well. I think.

Chris

By this I mean Metallic Division top level Bianchi shooters. Phil Strader, Robert Vadasz or Troy Mattheyer would all do very well.

Edited by Resjudicata

I love this

Last week Jay was an assbag and everyone on here was saying how bad he sucked and how embrassing he was to now how he is the next World Champ because of how great an athlete he is and has a mental game that should have a book written about...........

Jeez, they guy shot some plates at 10 yards that any 9 year old with 20 minutes of practice could do.

Looks like he saw the show last year and decided that he wanted to be on it so he went and spent a year getting ready for it, good for him.

It is just funny that in 3 episodes of a show and probably less than a 30 minutes of air time on him several of you have him all figured out.

Jay is the kind of guy that despite his attitude (maybe due to editing) a lot of people can relate to. he just bought his first gun a year before the show. People watch it and say "Wow he's a regular Joe like and he got on the show and can win $100,000 and be famous! I'm gonna go buy a gun and practice to try to be on the show too!"

That being said, I'm rooting against him :P

Granted he does come off as being an a$$hat, maybe due to editing, but I find it funny how people want to bag on him even though he beating some of "us". I might have missed it in the show description but I didn't see anywhere saying this show is based on ths skills needed to be a USPSA/IDPSC/IDPA MA or GM.

Label him as having poor skills and techniques all you want, he is doing pretty good so far. If he showed up at a match and beat you with that grip or stance would you still be so quick to say he can't shoot? My bet is that the Enosverse would quickly come to life trying to come up with drills to practice it. :D

Jeez, they guy shot some plates at 10 yards that any 9 year old with 20 minutes of practice could do.

I am betting there are hundreds/thousands of videos out there of really good shooters proving that to be wrong on a plate rack or TX Star. :D

If the description of Jay's experience is accurate; I wonder how it was that he was chosen to compete.

Watch his audition video, 2004 Olympic archery trials, good chance of creating drama on the show. We all seem to forget this is not about US, it is about making a TV show people will watch. If the History channel aired the USPSA nationals 10 weeks in a row, a lot of US would watch, maybe 10,000 viewers. The producers want millions to watch, and so do I. I think it would be a travesty if Jay won, but I have confidence the wheels will come off. That does not make him good or bad, just "is what it is."

If the description of Jay's experience is accurate; I wonder how it was that he was chosen to compete.

Watch his audition video, 2004 Olympic archery trials, good chance of creating drama on the show. We all seem to forget this is not about US, it is about making a TV show people will watch. If the History channel aired the USPSA nationals 10 weeks in a row, a lot of US would watch, maybe 10,000 viewers. The producers want millions to watch, and so do I. I think it would be a travesty if Jay won, but I have confidence the wheels will come off. That does not make him good or bad, just "is what it is."

Nicely said!

Regardless of the outcome neither person in the elimination challenge perfomed a great showing.

I think ANY middle of the road B class limited shooter would have SMOKED them both :sight:

Argue tea cups, trigger pulls or even gross wasted time and motions....but in truth, both men sucked in comparison to what I KNOW good shooters would be capable of.

Jim

Edited by GentlemanJim

Regardless of the outcome neither person in the elimination challenge perfomed a great showing.

I think ANY middle of the road B class limited shooter would have SMOKED them both :sight:

Argue tea cups, trigger pulls or even gross wasted time and motions....but in truth, both men sucked in comparison to what I KNOW good shooters would be capable of.

Jim

Spoken like a true gentleman.

Erik, for some reason I don't think you've ever torn both of your hamstrings, have you?

+1 !!!

I've torn ONE and it is NO fun.

I've personally worked with THE best in the world and can tell you I've seen a torn hammy sideline the toughest.

:bow:

Erik, for some reason I don't think you've ever torn both of your hamstrings, have you?

+1 !!!

I've torn ONE and it is NO fun.

I've personally worked with THE best in the world and can tell you I've seen a torn hammy sideline the toughest.

:bow:

You've trained with Jay?!

....just kidding

Now THAT is funny!!

I love this

Last week Jay was an assbag and everyone on here was saying how bad he sucked and how embrassing he was to now how he is the next World Champ because of how great an athlete he is and has a mental game that should have a book written about...........

Looks like he saw the show last year and decided that he wanted to be on it so he went and spent a year getting ready for it, good for him.

It is just funny that in 3 episodes of a show and probably less than a 30 minutes of air time on him several of you have him all figured out.

Congrats to the History Channel for picking Jay. It's working! Do you think there would be this much discussion if all the contestants were GM level shooters <yawn>. This added some drama and that's what makes these "reality" shows work. Now if they could only get some shooting on Wipeout!