Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 2 - Episode 3

BritinUSA

Too bad Guida bailed. I feel for him though, I know what pulled hamstrings feel like.

I lost respect for him. He gave up without even trying. The way Jermain was running around, if the red team could have hit a target they could have made up for John being slow. The way they edited the show, he gave up long before he walked off at the team challenge.

I think that Guida quitting before the challenge helped his team more than hurt it... I think that his move was very unselfish and honorable. :cheers:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay had his mental game down, relaxed, nothing to lose. Just shot, with no expectations - we could all learn from that mindset. Now if the guy actually worked on his technique and gun handling, he could be pretty good.

I'd expect a shooter with any plate rack or steel challenge experience to get at least 2 plates per presentation. It should never have come down to the tie breaker good guy plate, Jermaine should have been knocking 2 down per door opening. He's luck he shot againt Jay or he would have been outright spanked by some of the other shooters.

Now Jay's lack of 180 awareness and finger on the trigger stuff... thats just from not shooting matches. We get that beat into us. Other than that, he's performing as good or better than just about any of the "experts" at this point. ;)

Edited by sfinney

I wonder what the structure of the team event would have been if John had stayed in the game. It looked like it was set up for 6 people, but maybe they re-edited the discription after they knew it would be 6 instead of 7. I'm guessing originally the last segment would have been 1 shooter going to the top with gun and ammo, but that's just a guess.

An observation on George's snarky, "we don't have national championships, we shoot to say alive," comment.

I guess the sniper has never heard of the interservice championships or camp pendelton I believe there is even an interservice sniper competition. He only went 1 for 3 on the glass bottles, missing the two easiest shots. I wanna see George on the clock to get lots of hits with a handgun.

Edited by Steven Cline

I just watched it this morning..buisy last night

The props and the game so far , I find outstanding :cheers:

We can learn from the aspects of the mental game played here

All the gross errors that happend were due to lack of mental awareness

It seems (no plan) trumps the wrong plan :cheers:

One lesson stands out for me, Never underestimate your opponent :rolleyes:

Jim

My wife enjoys watching it, so that is good. I have friends ask me often if I have seen the show. The fact that I have met, and shot with several that have been, or are on the show really interests them. But Jay is even better for "marketing". I've heard... "If he can do it, so can I, when can we go to the range?" :surprise: Works for me.

My wife enjoys watching it, so that is good. I have friends ask me often if I have seen the show. The fact that I have met, and shot with several that have been, or are on the show really interests them. But Jay is even better for "marketing". I've heard... "If he can do it, so can I, when can we go to the range?" :surprise: Works for me.

I was thinking the same thing. And further more I am suprised that they haven't had a few more "average joe's" on there for the masses to relate to.

I think the setup of the plates was flawed; Jermaine's hit on a "friendly" plate was with a bullet that had already hit a "foe" plate.

That's "range equipment failure" in USPSA terms...

$.02

That was the idea. On the plates in front if you shot too high you hit the good plate. On the racks with the "foe" inthe back, if your shot was too low you clipped the friendly one. The show isnt built on USPSA rules, thus, like in life, shoot-thrus count.

I think the setup of the plates was flawed; Jermaine's hit on a "friendly" plate was with a bullet that had already hit a "foe" plate.

$.02

..."shoot throughs count" in IDPA terms. But they aren't playing either of those games.

I nearly died at two points. The first was when Jay refused to listen to the advice about his grip because he only wanted tips that would make him faster, and the other was when Jay said the Glock shot low left for him. Hilarious.

He should have specifically asked for tips on target transitions - that could / might have helped him "go faster".

As to shooting "low & left", IMHO (and no insults to anyone intended) snarking at that comment fails to acknowledge that not everyone has the same size hand / fingers & hand / finger strength or muscle control. One size may fit many, but likely not all. I too giggled at his grip, but if it’s consistent for him and he can keep up, more power to him. It may limit his performance potential in absolute terms but for now is has not been a limiting factor.

Jay is / has been shown to be a d--k on the show and I do not like him based on that. But he has shown himself to be a solid competitor who may not be the experts "pick" but doesn’t cause his team to lose either. I would rather have Jay on my team then someone who shall we say loses focus.

The previews for next week show a confrontation at a "Team" meeting. It will be interesting to see how he reacts and if anything changes.

Sad to see him go.

IMHO...its not a team thing. Teams have a unified goal. The goal here is to do whatever it takes to win for yourself.

I respectfully disagree. At this point in the game there is a unified team goal: Don’t go to elimination. The motivation may be selfish (reduce the opportunity to “me” to face elimination) but is shared by everyone on the team so I see it as a unified team goal to win.

Later on it is everyone for them self, but not yet.

It seems from the responses in these threads that many folks keep expressing way too much concern for inconsequential technical details....shoot throughs, trigger pulls, etc etc.....

However, the vast majority of episodes show the take away lesson has nothing to do with the technical aspects of the challenge. Bad grip, good grip, SWAT Operator, National Champion or SAS Ninja Dolphin, again and again it has been made painfully clear that the individual who maintains control, mental performance, and shoots within their ability prevails. While the individual who attempts to perform to their over inflated self perception more often than not fails.

It seems from the responses in these threads that many folks keep expressing way too much concern for inconsequential technical details....shoot throughs, trigger pulls, etc etc.....

However, the vast majority of episodes show the take away lesson has nothing to do with the technical aspects of the challenge. Bad grip, good grip, SWAT Operator, National Champion or SAS Ninja Dolphin, again and again it has been made painfully clear that the individual who maintains control, mental performance, and shoots within their ability prevails. While the individual who attempts to perform to their over inflated self perception more often than not fails.

Ditto....Ditto....Ditto

Jim

The technical details are funny, but you're right: They're not the whole story.

Clearly Jay doesn't have a lot of experience, but that hasn't stopped him from being successful (so far). Why? Because he's mentally stable, and he has a plan that he follows. I think there is a big lesson there. While it was hilarious, to me, that the mentioned the gun shot low-left, it was ingenious of him to account for that in his strategy. It was even more impressive that he stuck to his strategy even after he didn't hit a single target the first two times the doors opened.

I mean, imagine if you're at the make or break stage of a match, and you suddenly find out all of your squadmates have voted you the most annoying/worst shooter on the squad. And then imagine you tanked the first two arrays. It would take an incredible feat of mental strength to finish the stage strong after that, and that's exactly what Jay did. While there isn't a chance I'll ever emulate his technique, you can bet the next time the chips are down at a match I'm going to try to remember to be as mentally strong as Jay was in that challenge.

Now Jay's lack of 180 awareness and finger on the trigger stuff... thats just from not shooting matches. We get that beat into us. Other than that, he's performing as good or better than just about any of the "experts" at this point. ;)

I disagree. I'd been shooting for years before I ever shot a match, but I learned muzzle control and trigger safety long before then. (Thanks, Dad!)

$.02

Sometimes you are forced to take things like that into account when making the shot. It goes back to one of the most basic compenents of firearms safety; "know what is behind your intended target". I like it, it adds to the challenge of the event, but makes people realize that bullets don't always stop when they get to what you are shooting at.

Too bad Guida bailed. I feel for him though, I know what pulled hamstrings feel like.

I lost respect for him. He gave up without even trying. The way Jermain was running around, if the red team could have hit a target they could have made up for John being slow. The way they edited the show, he gave up long before he walked off at the team challenge.

I think that Guida quitting before the challenge helped his team more than hurt it... I think that his move was very unselfish and honorable. :cheers:

I didn't think so at first but I wholeheartedly agree now. I realized that since he had sat out the last team challenge, he would be forced to compete in this one. His dropping out before the challenge strengthened his team. :cheers: