Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 2 - Episode 3

BritinUSA

It seems from the responses in these threads that many folks keep expressing way too much concern for inconsequential technical details....shoot throughs, trigger pulls, etc etc.....

However, the vast majority of episodes show the take away lesson has nothing to do with the technical aspects of the challenge. Bad grip, good grip, SWAT Operator, National Champion or SAS Ninja Dolphin, again and again it has been made painfully clear that the individual who maintains control, mental performance, and shoots within their ability prevails. While the individual who attempts to perform to their over inflated self perception more often than not fails.

This.

Well said.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think Daryl Parker is a big part of the problem with Jay. Jay THOUGHT he was supposed to be the leader and was trying to lead. He was active, working to help the team members. He's not a born leader, but he was trying.

Daryl was standing behind his back talking crap. That undermines the team. It's malignant and spreads.

So maybe Jay comes off wrong, but he's an amature. I think Jay's intent was good.

Daryl is a LEO not far from me. I imagine he has the same attitude in his job. Gives good LEO's a bad name.....

I agree completely, Jay was put in the position to pick the team so he assumed responsibility as the team leader. He's also a golf pro, so his job is to teach. Although a bit annoying, that's just his normal self wanting to help/teach.

I can see Daryl becoming a problem.

This series is starting lame. The M14 is for 300-600 yd work-not 75-100. Shoulda used the sharps for that distance. Compound bow next...snore. Already had paint guns-what's next? Derringers? DVR getting shut down for the rest of this year.

What would you have rather seen, Butch?

(beside s a 3-gun/Multi-gun match? :D )

ten paces with an airsoft gun

A sleeper?

given the benefit of the doubt with editing... I know, 'how many times did he do it till he got it?"..

Jay audition video

It was sort of hard to tell from the camera angle, but his grip on the pistol in the audition video doesn't look as much "cup and saucer" as it did during the practice for the elimination challenge.

I would have never thought that there might be a sleeper on this show!!! After watching Jay's audition video, I'm becoming more and more skeptical of the skill he's "portraying" in the series so far. ..... very interesting.....

Will be interested to see if Chris T even gets to shoot the open gun. One thing I find myself craving is to see these IPSC/USPSA guys/gals shine. I looked up Chris T on USPSA.org and he's unclassified for revolver. Is it possible that could be the reason for his less than desirable performance so far? Perhaps he doesn't have as much all-around experience with firearms that some of the "average joes" do. Put a 1911/2011 in his hands, though, and watch him shine. It will be interesting to see how the show advances.

I guess I focus on the competitive shooters more because that's what I'm interested in. Not throwing knives/axes.

Edited by Erik S.

Did anyone notice how Jermaine was bringing the gun back in to his chest every time the doors closed? He wasted a lot of time reacquiring targets, keeping his gun up and breaking the shot as the doors were opening would have easily given him the win. 3 shots per opening was definitely manageable, but without a doubt he could have shot twice every opening with splits at 2 seconds. Big mental mistake on his part. Jay did what he needed to do and learned a bunch after missing his first 4-5 shots.

Man! Some of you guys are a hard sell. Just be glad there's something on the boobtube other than Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and Dr. Phil. I seriously wonder how many non-shooters have flipped to History looking for a brainiac show and have stumbled across Top Shot. Watched first out of curiosity, then got drawn in by the drama and personalities and finally thought "Heck, I could do that!" and went out and bought a pistol or rifle.

Any time guns are featured on TV in a GOOD LIGHT is good for the shooting sports. I'm sure if you recorded the latest 3 gun championship from start to finish we'd probably all pay to watch it on Pay Per View. The average Joe would change the channel after the second shooter.

Just be happy something we love is getting the exposure it deserves! :D

Did anyone notice how Jermaine was bringing the gun back in to his chest every time the doors closed? He wasted a lot of time reacquiring targets, keeping his gun up and breaking the shot as the doors were opening would have easily given him the win. 3 shots per opening was definitely manageable, but without a doubt he could have shot twice every opening with splits at 2 seconds. Big mental mistake on his part. Jay did what he needed to do and learned a bunch after missing his first 4-5 shots.

Its not mental mistakes, its how he was trained. It appears his training is built on accuracy not speed and its what he is accustomed to doing: bring the gun to the center of his body, aquire target,push out and fire, repeat. As Peter said on last year's show "No one rises to the occasion....we only fall to the level ofo ur training". When the pressure was on, he did was was natural and what he had trained to do.

Its not mental mistakes, its how he was trained. It appears his training is built on accuracy not speed and its what he is accustomed to doing: bring the gun to the center of his body, aquire target,push out and fire, repeat.

That technique has nothing at all to do with accuracy training and everything to do with weapons retention and partially to do with the last step in a good solid draw.

Peter said on last year's show "No one rises to the occasion....we only fall to the level ofo ur training". When the pressure was on, he did was was natural and what he had trained to do.

This quote and truism has been around a lot longer that Peter on last year's show.

Edited by smokshwn

Just for laughs....

I hear the next episode is going to feature an "Firarms Forum Expert" competition in which the competitors will be required to show their skills at:

Artificially inflating their post count by regurgitating their inaccurate interpretation of firarms/shooting related information gleaned from endless hours moderating forums and hard earned Google based research.

Repeatedly discussing gear purchases and equipment upgrades as it applies to performance without the slightest recognition of training with implement being discussed.

Buying and selling expensive gear without the foggiest idea as to its application (except, of course, what they discovered through the web); and most importantly,

Repeatedly posting unflinching support of new and novel equipmenttechniques and gunsmiths based solely upon the say-so of OTHER cyber-experts.

There will be bonus points awarded for the most insulting post made to thwart the efforts of new shooters and inexperienced web-users who dare make a mistake or ask a stupid question.

Now aren't some of you guys sorry you underestimated your chances of success and didn't apply?

Edited by smokshwn

Time for me to butt in again :P

John TORE both his hamstrings. He went to see a doctor, did MRI, x-ray, laser, vodoo all that the day after I got bodybagged. They told him he would just make it worse if he forced himself to run or walk fast. He is still not 100% healed yet today. He is an awesome guy, great shot and great competitor.

I have to admit, the first time I met Jay and when he opened his mouth, I wanted to push him into oncoming traffic. For reals. But as I got to know him, he's just different. He's actually a nice guy but with a different view of the world. His gun handling skills at that time made me want to weep and duck at the same time but he is the Happy Gilmore of things that go bang. He has terribad form but he can hit. He grows on you...with time :P

Daryl is a very honorable and exemplary man. Rewind your tivo and watch Ashley's face as they shoot Jay's target.

My heart broke watching last night's episode. Jermaine is such a great guy.

Keep watching and keep the faith, it will only get better. Things happen for a reason ;)

Red Team Nation!! :goof: